Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Chasing an Oil Leak - Gaskets? Seals?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Chasing an Oil Leak - Gaskets? Seals? Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
Indian head also works great with seals like this where the fit is difficult. You have to work fast on warm days though....that stuff tacks up and freezes fast. Ray

Yes! I’ve used it to cure a variety of ill-fitting parts that I have no choice with. It hasn’t let me down.

Just look for “Lion Head Shellac” now, as the name and logo changed in 2018. Some time this year the formula changed and it is now more transparent. I have not changed my application methods and I have not had any problems, but it is harder to see the evenness of applications.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: Chasing an Oil Leak - Gaskets? Seals? Reply with quote

Smitty,

Don’t be tempted and take your fan apart. Rebalancing it is a subtle task, possible but a pain.

Nice track down and jury rig on the seal replacement.
smitty1976bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Chasing an Oil Leak - Gaskets? Seals? Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips guys! The books I have only vaguely mention these seals, they only reference them in pictures:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

asiab3 wrote:
Nice job getting in there and getting it done.

When the new fan seal arrives, it should not slide into the bore without a bit of work. Find a big-ass socket JUST smaller than the seal and use it as a drift to tap it in with a hammer. This is one time I would use a hardenening sealant like Permatex Aviation. Usually I would use non-hardening sealants like Curil, but if the seal just slides into place you’re going to need to hold it somehow. You might eventually have to order a custom seal for the bore. If this happens, let us know. We have rescources for stuff like this.

Make sure you spread a thin layer of anti-seize on the crank/fan hub junction. If your repair works you may not be in there for a long time. Smile

Robbie

Thank you! Yea, kind of worried that the new one will just slide in like this old one did; wish there was a vintage vw parts store near me, so didnt have to wait for the shipping.

timvw7476 wrote:
There is an O-ring in there too, deep on the crank snout.

Thanks for the head up on the o-ring, because I had no idea theres one in there. I can't even find where to buy a replacement, the only place seems to be:
https://vwparts.aircooled.net/Fan-Hub-O-ring-Type-4-Engines-021-119-125A-p/021-119-125a.htm

BusDepot doesnt seem to carry them, unless they only include them in the gasket sets..

TomWesty wrote:
Wait a minute.... You took a sawzall to your fan hub? Laughing

Nothing a sawzall cant fix Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Chasing an Oil Leak - Gaskets? Seals? Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:
Indian head also works great with seals like this where the fit is difficult. You have to work fast on warm days though....that stuff tacks up and freezes fast. Ray

Yes! I’ve used it to cure a variety of ill-fitting parts that I have no choice with. It hasn’t let me down.

Just look for “Lion Head Shellac” now, as the name and logo changed in 2018. Some time this year the formula changed and it is now more transparent. I have not changed my application methods and I have not had any problems, but it is harder to see the evenness of applications.

Robbie

Oh man!...thanks for that info! I am working through a 3oz bucket of it. I would have had to really look when it was time to buy new.

The one thing about Indian head/Lion Head and similar....is that once you use it....it does not come off...so a re-do or reseal usually means at tear down time. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Chasing an Oil Leak - Gaskets? Seals? Reply with quote

might want to check those motor mounts while you are there. Leave the oil pump alone.

As said by others, find that O-ring because you need to replace it too.
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Chasing an Oil Leak - Gaskets? Seals? Reply with quote

[quote="smitty1976bus"
Thank you! Yea, kind of worried that the new one will just slide in like this old one did; wish there was a vintage vw parts store near me, so didnt have to wait for the shipping.

[/quote]

You don't need to wait.

Here is a list of seal and packing suppliers in your area. A good seal house will be able to supply the correct parts in minutes to you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
smitty1976bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Chasing an Oil Leak - Gaskets? Seals? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Smitty,

Don’t be tempted and take your fan apart. Rebalancing it is a subtle task, possible but a pain.

Good advice. Less work the better!

SGKent wrote:
might want to check those motor mounts while you are there. Leave the oil pump alone.

As said by others, find that O-ring because you need to replace it too.

Motor mounts are new; well probably 3 years old. Back when I put the motor into the bus... Back when i should have changed every single seal and gasket when the engine was out of the vehicle... If only I knew what i know now back then.

ToolBox wrote:
You don't need to wait.

Here is a list of seal and packing suppliers in your area. A good seal house will be able to supply the correct parts in minutes to you.

That's a good idea, theres alot around me too. I didn't even think of going to one of them, dang. Parts came in the mail today too, haha.
smitty1976bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Chasing an Oil Leak - Gaskets? Seals? Reply with quote

Seals and o-ring came in the mail today Very Happy

The crank seal look a little different than the original one.

But it seems to fit very nicely:

It doesn't just slide in, like the old seal did, which was a hug relief. Engine case is in good shape and looks like this seal will work. No need to add any shellac or sealers. Made a make-shift driver, since I had no large sockets to fit around the seal:

Took a little while, but the seal was driven in, flush with the metal:

Slide the new o-ring in, filled up the crevasse with oil (not sure if needed to be, or not, but thought it should be), and put the hub back on (with thread lock and torqued to 23 foot pounds)

And ta-da!

All done, and hopefully does the trick. Don't have enough time to button up everything tonight (dang days getting shorter). I'll have to finish up later and see if anything leaks out.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Chasing an Oil Leak - Gaskets? Seals? Reply with quote

good job
smitty1976bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Chasing an Oil Leak - Gaskets? Seals? Reply with quote

Thank you!

Finaly was able to button it all up, spruced up the engine bay a bit:

And boom, no oil dripping!

Well.... not as fast anyways. Seems my engine just wants to leak oil. After the start up, after the repair, I blew a valve cover gasket. Maybe not blew it out, but it was leaking pretty bad from the drivers valve cover. (was fine before the repair) Replaced that, and all seems to be fine now. I don't know much about it, but could I have a high positive crank case pressure? I noticed that there's a lot of pressure coming out of my oil filler neck (had it off to check something). No idea whats normal though. Back to the research table! Cool
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Chasing an Oil Leak - Gaskets? Seals? Reply with quote

Glad I was able to help
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
Savybosh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Chasing an Oil Leak - Gaskets? Seals? Reply with quote

So how can you remove a stuck fan hub seal. Mine is way stuck, and at this point it's definitely been damaged enough to HAVE TO come out.
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Chasing an Oil Leak - Gaskets? Seals? Reply with quote

Slide hammer with a hook of some sort on it?
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Chasing an Oil Leak - Gaskets? Seals? Reply with quote

(double post)
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)

Last edited by telford dorr on Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Chasing an Oil Leak - Gaskets? Seals? Reply with quote

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-56750-Seal-Puller/dp/...mp;sr=8-26
mikewire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Chasing an Oil Leak - Gaskets? Seals? Reply with quote

^ what Telford said.

A seal removal tool also works. Or you can use a screw and screw it into the face of the seal, then pull the seal out with some pliers by the screw.

@countdowngarage
@bigskyeuro

1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC swap
1965 VW Beetle Deluxe Bahama Blue
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Chasing an Oil Leak - Gaskets? Seals? Reply with quote

cmonSTART wrote:
https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-56750-Seal-Puller/dp/...mp;sr=8-26

Just be aware that all of these "T" shaped seal pullers are not created equal. Some are pretty flimsy. I hit a half dozen FLAPS and bought what looked to be the sturdiest puller. Sorry don't remember the brand at this point.
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Chasing an Oil Leak - Gaskets? Seals? Reply with quote

I have a set of these too which work. The foot on them is a bit flatter, too, so less chance of damaging something. They don't always fit.

https://www.amazon.com/4pcs-Steel-Heel-Aligning-Ro...amp;sr=8-2
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Chasing an Oil Leak - Gaskets? Seals? Reply with quote

[img][/img]
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: