Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel pump cavitation, which is my fault
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
davlance01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump cavitation, which is my fault Reply with quote

dgbeatty, I thought about a fuel cooler as well. Old school truckers used to run them before the injection pump to get better fuel mileage and remove issues with saddle tanks that were low on fuel and the fuel wasn't getting cool enough.

I moved a truck from Pennsylvania down to Miami in the fall after the winter fuel blend change and the van running on that pa fuel in still hot miami would vapor lock about every 10 miles. I now deliver trucks with a half tank of fuel in the van so I can mix with local climate fuels to try to help with the different fuel blends across the country.

Truck driveaway using this van presents issues that normal van owners wouldn't experience. Fuel blends being a big issue during season changes and towing the van in the rain with a cold engine presents big issues as well.

I'm actually leaning towards a in-tank fuel pump and leaving the external pump on the frame as a backup to get me home if the internal pump fails. I may also put a cooler inline to help reduce in tank temperatures as well.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump cavitation, which is my fault Reply with quote

The most common source of water, dirt, and leaves is from the fuel expansion tanks in the front fenders. Where they fail is the large grommet on top that you can not easily see. When I replace a tank, I drop both expansion tanks and replace the grommet. The tires bombard those tanks with water and dirt. I suppose if you live where leaves fall, parts of them could also work their way into the tank.
davlance01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump cavitation, which is my fault Reply with quote

If you see large pieces of anything in your tank I'm thinking the seals and overflow tanks would indeed need inspected.

In my case that stuff has all been gone over.

I would like somehow include the fuel system into the inspection/maintenance schedule. The only thing I do now is look for leaks and do pressure/flow/amp waveforms with the scope once a month while I have the van in the shop for maintenance.

I'm thinking about installing the in-tank fuel pump and using the old pump to drain and refill the tank for inspection of the fuel itself and put that into the schedule. Maybe overkill but that's how I roll!

I just turned in my 2020 taxes and I just found out that I put 10k miles a month on my van. Of coarse that is not always under its own power but the transmission, cv joints, brakes, steering and bearings are all getting wear. Under its own power its always 1000 miles from the shop when I drive it so maintenance is huge huge huge for me and a noisy fuel pump doesn't make me feel any better.
davlance01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump cavitation, which is my fault Reply with quote

I got sick of dealing with this 1984 designed fuel system.

So.......

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Tanks inc pa-2 paired with a AEM adjustable fuel pressure regulator with 1:1 vacuum port and new russell -6 AN ptfe stainless braided
fuel lines and stainless fittings.

Runs great, can barely hear that fuel pump.

Next new fuel rails that will allow me to attach an ptfe fittings in the engine compartment and a couple of check valves so I don't loose pressure at shut off the I'll be done with it.

Fuel pump is 100 psi and I can barely hear it run, the new fpr has no issues bringing the pressure down to specs.

Car runs great.

FYI: this job is not for the faint of heart, you'll need to cut hack and beat things with hammers to make it all work.

I left the old pump on for road emergencies, just blocked off the fuel lines.

Back to delivering semi trucks next week with it and moving on with my life.
davlance01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump cavitation, which is my fault Reply with quote

100 hours on fuel pump with no issues so far
dgbeatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump cavitation, which is my fault Reply with quote

Just a note on the NAPA 3248 ie WIX 33248. The micron rating is 149. It is a purpose built wire mesh pre-filter and unless it is heavily clogged it will not cause cavitation in a Vanagon fuel system. If you discount partially clogged intake screens the biggest single cause of cavitation is fuel pumps that delivery too much volume and overwhelm the intake system. Fuel pumps are not one sizes all. A 2.x litre Vanagon engine does not need and cannot use a "high volume" pump unless you modify the tank internally.
chompy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump cavitation, which is my fault Reply with quote

davlance01 wrote:
I got sick of dealing with this 1984 designed fuel system.

So.......

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Tanks inc pa-2 paired with a AEM adjustable fuel pressure regulator with 1:1 vacuum port and new russell -6 AN ptfe stainless braided
fuel lines and stainless fittings.

Runs great, can barely hear that fuel pump.

Next new fuel rails that will allow me to attach an ptfe fittings in the engine compartment and a couple of check valves so I don't loose pressure at shut off the I'll be done with it.

Fuel pump is 100 psi and I can barely hear it run, the new fpr has no issues bringing the pressure down to specs.

Car runs great.

FYI: this job is not for the faint of heart, you'll need to cut hack and beat things with hammers to make it all work.

I left the old pump on for road emergencies, just blocked off the fuel lines.

Back to delivering semi trucks next week with it and moving on with my life.

Oh man I missed this whole thread. As much as I hate changing in-tank pumps, this is the best solution available. Cools the pump better as well! Good job!
davlance01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump cavitation, which is my fault Reply with quote

Honestly it has been the best upgrade I have done to date. My car was starving for fuel. The van feels way smoother and more responsive than it did before the upgrade. I have the smaller outlet on my tank maybe the larger one wouldn't have gave me as much issues.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: