Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Riding Lawn Mowers
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Riding Lawn Mowers Reply with quote

I just pamble about the yard on the 85 wheelhorse 5 speed with an 8hp briggs. Gotta lean over on the cross slope to balance it, and the slope down to the street requires using a push mower as the entry/exit angle too steep for the Wheelhorse.
Yeah, I have a hate/hate relationship with the grass.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Riding Lawn Mowers Reply with quote

[quote="Pruneman99"]
Zundfolge1432 wrote:
skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
^^^^^

fuuuuck that.

that's 20' wing mower sitting in an air conditioned cab kind of job

It’s just me killing a few hours, yes I may drink cold beverages. Here’s the funny thing, we started doing this a few years ago and just cut it back about 10 or 15 feet from the road. Somehow it became a competition between me and the neighbor. He cuts it back a couple more feet then when it’s my turn I cut it back further and this has been going on for a couple years. This was my latest effort and we’ll see what happens. He had cut even with the tree. I went further back another 15 feet at least, look at the brown section that’s fresh cut.

I know most of the neighbors and since there’s only one way in and out it looks nice, we get to see it everyday 😀 In the evenings this field is alive with deer.

Pretty soon you guys will be running chalk lines and find yourselves as caretakers for the new football field Laughing

It gets better, the property is owned by the city in another county. Someday it’s slated to become a water reservoir so the city comes by and cuts this grass about 3 times a year whether it needs it or not.

The lazy city workers have it all fenced off at the tree line and there are several hundred acres of woods. The go in and hide for hours during the day. They came by the day after I cut and immediately disappeared into the woods then finished the cutting and called it a day. When you live outside the city priority is such that cutting grass is way down the list for them.

I like to get comfortably numb then using two forms of hearing protection get on and ride. 😀
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Riding Lawn Mowers Reply with quote

A couple of years back I bought an early 90's Toro rider from a former boss of mine. He bought it new, but was selling his large property and moving into town to a place needing less upkeep work.

Needed a new batter right away, then the plastic starer dog thingy grenaded. I tore the carb apart to clear out some plugged jets, added a better fuel shut off with all new fuel lines, and installed a new drive belt. Now it runs like a charm.

This is one of those rear-engine machines, with tiny little tires up front, so the ride is a little rough at times. But I only use it for mowing a side yard and the alley, so it takes some abuse. All told, I am into it about $350. Which is about what it's worth if I wanted to sell it off. Fair enough.

Everything is tinder dry now, so I probably won't even get to use it again until fall.
Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Riding Lawn Mowers Reply with quote

[quote="Zundfolge1432"]
Pruneman99 wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:
^^^^^

fuuuuck that.

It’s just me killing a few hours, yes I may drink cold beverages. Here’s the funny thing, we started doing this a few years ago and just cut it back about 10 or 15 feet from the road. Somehow it became a competition between me and the neighbor. He cuts it back a couple more feet then when it’s my turn I cut it back further and this has been going on for a couple years. This was my latest effort and we’ll see what happens. He had cut even with the tree. I went further back another 15 feet at least, look at the brown section that’s fresh cut.

I know most of the neighbors and since there’s only one way in and out it looks nice, we get to see it everyday 😀 In the evenings this field is alive with deer.

Pretty soon you guys will be running chalk lines and find yourselves as caretakers for the new football field Laughing

It gets better, the property is owned by the city in another county. Someday it’s slated to become a water reservoir so the city comes by and cuts this grass about 3 times a year whether it needs it or not.

The lazy city workers have it all fenced off at the tree line and there are several hundred acres of woods. The go in and hide for hours during the day. They came by the day after I cut and immediately disappeared into the woods then finished the cutting and called it a day. When you live outside the city priority is such that cutting grass is way down the list for them.

I like to get comfortably numb then using two forms of hearing protection get on and ride. 😀

It's more environmentally friendly to stop cutting that. The deer are probably shouting at you to f€ck off. Let it be a wildflower field full of insects, bees, butterflies etc. Put bee hives on and harvest honey. Reintroduce wildflowers and native plants, herbs etc.

I'm definitely, probably, the worlds greatest lover.

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
LachlanMcLean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Riding Lawn Mowers Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
<snip>I’ve noticed the people who cut their own lawns And rake their own leaves are better neighbors.

True story right there.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Riding Lawn Mowers Reply with quote

LachlanMcLean wrote:
Abscate wrote:
<snip>I’ve noticed the people who cut their own lawns And rake their own leaves are better neighbors.

True story right there.

Never thought about it before, but I tend to agree.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Riding Lawn Mowers Reply with quote

[quote="Volks Wagen"]
Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Pruneman99 wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:
^^^^^

fuuuuck that.

It's more environmentally friendly to stop cutting that. The deer are probably shouting at you to f€ck off. Let it be a wildflower field full of insects, bees, butterflies etc. Put bee hives on and harvest honey. Reintroduce wildflowers and native plants, herbs etc.

Sounds all nice but this buffer is all we have between us and the woods. Hundreds of acres of untouched wilderness complete with all manner of wildlife. Another concern is snakes we have rattlesnakes and copperheads. The tall grass also is home to rats and field mice, ticks fleas and chiggers.

We’ll continue to keep it cut back just to be a step ahead of all this.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Riding Lawn Mowers Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
LachlanMcLean wrote:
Abscate wrote:

True story right there.

well...my neibor that cuts her own weeds with no bag and shots them into my yard is one fucked up bitch...in many ways...and the other fucking morons on the other side of me have thier weeds cut, but a moron that blows them into my yard...and they are totally defective...like TOTALLY!! SO....OH THE HOUSE BEHIND ME...THE WALLS ARE NOW FALLING IN SINCE THE ROOF HAS COLASPED. A FIRE CHIEF & HIS FAMILY LIVED THERE...HE MAY STILL, BUT THE KIDA ARE GONE THE WIFE MOVED OUT.... BUT THE SANCUARY ACROSS THE STREET WITH FOXES IN IT SEEMS TO BE FINE AS FROGS HAIR... Wink
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Riding Lawn Mowers Reply with quote

I bought a cordless lawn mowder....pulling that fucking string after every bag of grass is killing my arm....and thats probably 15 -20 bags & 2 pulls each.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Riding Lawn Mowers Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
LachlanMcLean wrote:
Abscate wrote:

True story right there.

YEap. I have a neighbor who never rakes his leaves - all blows to my side and I run a mulcher on them. By end of Fall, everything would have blown to my side.

A mulcher is so nice - natural fertilizer. I just have to rake the corners.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: Riding Lawn Mowers Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
LachlanMcLean wrote:
Abscate wrote:

True story right there.

YEap. I have a neighbor who never rakes his leaves - all blows to my side and I run a mulcher on them. By end of Fall, everything would have blown to my side.

You should have Rand over for dinner, he solves those problems gracefully
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Riding Lawn Mowers Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
nsracing wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
LachlanMcLean wrote:
Abscate wrote:

True story right there.

You should have Rand over for dinner, he solves those problems gracefully

By being attacked and having his ribs broken?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Riding Lawn Mowers Reply with quote

Moderator time:
Political content removed, please keep that crap off the site.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Riding Lawn Mowers Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
One thing we can all agree on ? For years the Samba has provided comic relief on a reliable basis😀

This thread led me to Google Search for gals riding lawn mowers while forgetting to get dressed !!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Riding Lawn Mowers Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:
One thing we can all agree on ? For years the Samba has provided comic relief on a reliable basis😀

This thread led me to Google Search for gals riding lawn mowers while forgetting to get dressed !!!

Wow you are right. Probably hours of looking, I was surprised at the range in ages and lawn mowers. A few are driving Craftsman brand. 😀
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Riding Lawn Mowers Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Cusser wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:

Wow you are right. Probably hours of looking, I was surprised at the range in ages and lawn mowers. A few are driving Craftsman brand. 😀

I have a Craftsman LT1000, cost me $900 new in 2005. I've become a pretty decent lawn tractor mechanic, buy my parts all online. Let's just say that tumbleweeds are tougher on the blades than is a Kentucky lawn...

A lawn tractor jack is like the best idea in the world ! Mine's from Harbor Freight. https://www.harborfreight.com/300-lb-atvlawn-mower-lift-61523.html
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Riding Lawn Mowers Reply with quote

well ups pulled up today to deliver my new electrick lawn mowder....the truck left about 4 min lator...he never got out of his truck.. Confused the tracking says...damaged, refused acceptance or some bs like that.... Confused then it says returned to shipper...then the next tracking says.holding for inspection.then the next one says. delever lator....so Confused Confused Confused what the fuck? is the driver going to mow a bunch of lawns this weekend???then bring it to me? return to sender then delever later? I think Ill take the day off.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Riding Lawn Mowers Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
well ups pulled up today to deliver my new electrick lawn mowder....the truck left about 4 min lator...he never got out of his truck.. Confused the tracking says...damaged, refused acceptance or some bs like that.... Confused then it says returned to shipper...then the next tracking says.holding for inspection.then the next one says. delever lator....so Confused Confused Confused what the fuck? is the driver going to mow a bunch of lawns this weekend???then bring it to me? return to sender then delever later? I think Ill take the day off.

Go to the hardware store and buy one from a human. Stop buying shit from Amazon, and having it shipped through multiple handlers.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Riding Lawn Mowers Reply with quote

Almost summer - anyone bring home any new/old mower for after winter?

I ended up picking up two - Toro 3200 greenmaster reel mower and a Jacobsen 3400 LF reel mower. I will give up some of the Craftsman riding mower and use my new ones instead.

Been cold lately but I am outside working and enjoying cutting branches and logs.

You people stay out of trouble.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Riding Lawn Mowers Reply with quote

I got tired of fixing my old JD 317 so last summer I bought a new Husqvarna heavy duty garden tractor for $3500 sight unseen from a distributor one state away. It was delivered by truck 2 days later and required some light assembly. I also bought a new snow thrower attachment for $700(less than 1/2 retail) off of ebay made by Agri-fab who it turns out makes these attachments for virtually everyone else other than JD. It took the better part of a day to do the initial attachment to the tractor but now I don't need any tools to attach or remove the snow thrower. Better yet, the snow thrower shoots that snow easily 30 feet regardless of how deep the snow is and the tractor engine never drops in rpm when engaged. What a great machine!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: