Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Fuel Tank - 1976 FI Beetle
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MGranoth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:46 pm    Post subject: New Fuel Tank - 1976 FI Beetle Reply with quote

Hello all:

I’m trying to find a new fuel tank for my Beetle. I have found a few online but none of them have the two outlets on the bottom of the tank. I currently do not have the time or energy to clean out the current tank. Thanks for any help.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: NEW FUEL TANK - 1976 FI BEETLE Reply with quote

I was in disbelief, so I went to Google and typed in "fuel injected 1976 bug fuel tank" into Google. JBugs popped up. They have a listing with a picture that has 2 nipples out the bottom. Might be worth a phone call.

https://www.jbugs.com/product/133201075G.html

Hope it helps!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
MGranoth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: NEW FUEL TANK - 1976 FI BEETLE Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
I was in disbelief, so I went to Google and typed in "fuel injected 1976 bug fuel tank" into Google. JBugs popped up. They have a listing with a picture that has 2 nipples out the bottom. Might be worth a phone call.

https://www.jbugs.com/product/133201075G.html

Hope it helps!

Unfortunately that’s for a Super Beetle. Mine is a standard bug.
tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: NEW FUEL TANK - 1976 FI BEETLE Reply with quote

It is a chore - but I cleaned my tank out in an afternoon. You'll need to remove it anyway..

I used draino granules to degrease and muriatic acid to strip the rust, phosphoric acid to convert what's left. Rinse, dry (compressor speeds that up) then back in the car. You do need to be careful with those chemicals but they work quick!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: New Fuel Tank - 1976 FI Beetle Reply with quote

Google sez:
A-II Radiator
4.5 stars
(13) · Radiator shop
Bridgeport, CT, United States
Closed ⋅ Opens 8 a.m. Thu. · +1 203-335-6580

A minute for a phone call can't be that hard. Wink

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: New Fuel Tank - 1976 FI Beetle Reply with quote

I ended up using a new carb tank for my '75 standard Bug and installing a Tee into the single nipple. This was done on advice from those who add aftermarket efi. SO far it's working great!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: New Fuel Tank - 1976 FI Beetle Reply with quote

That’s awesome! I have wondered about that through the years. Thanks for sharing what you ended up doing. You should circle back around every few months and update anything, good or bad.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: New Fuel Tank - 1976 FI Beetle Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
That’s awesome! I have wondered about that through the years. Thanks for sharing what you ended up doing. You should circle back around every few months and update anything, good or bad.
I will. However, I can tell you that since late last summer and so far through this year I have put about 3000 miles on the Bug and absolutely NO issues. This F.I. runs so good, I'd take a 6 plus hour drive without much worry (and my box of trunk spares haha). The only mod I have is a C.B. 2280 cam. Had some issues with that first due to the CCs of my replacement heads being mis advertised and compression was like 7.25 and my idle was all over the place. Using German FI heads and 8.1 compression now and it idles like a dream!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MGranoth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: New Fuel Tank - 1976 FI Beetle Reply with quote

I’m going to try and clean it myself. I found a local radiator shop nearby that can do it. I’ll save that option as a back up. I’ll let you know how it goes.
tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: New Fuel Tank - 1976 FI Beetle Reply with quote

MuzzcoVW wrote:
The only mod I have is a C.B. 2280 cam. Had some issues with that first due to the CCs of my replacement heads being mis advertised and compression was like 7.25 and my idle was all over the place. Using German FI heads and 8.1 compression now and it idles like a dream!

That's great information to share. the 2880 cheater cam is often mentioned but it's never confirmed that it will create enough vacuum idle happily with ljet FI. Do you feel that just 8.1 compression is required - or did the smaller valves help too?

MGranoth wrote:
I’m going to try and clean it myself. I found a local radiator shop nearby that can do it. I’ll save that option as a back up. I’ll let you know how it goes.

Take a look at raygreenwood's post in this thread for more detail: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8728917
MGranoth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: New Fuel Tank - 1976 FI Beetle Reply with quote

This was not completely unexpected. Gas tank outlet and strainer full of crap. Is it odd that my tank is from Brazil? Original or replacement?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: New Fuel Tank - 1976 FI Beetle Reply with quote

An original would have had non removable tubes welded right into the tank, must have been a replacement from long ago.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
MGranoth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: New Fuel Tank - 1976 FI Beetle Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
An original would have had non removable tubes welded right into the tank, must have been a replacement from long ago.

That’s my suspicion too. Probably also why I can’t find a similar replacement. It looks like a regular Beetle tank. It’s also a Brazilian tank not German.
MGranoth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: New Fuel Tank - 1976 FI Beetle Reply with quote

Here’s a photo of the bottom of the tank. Definitely not a factory weld.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: