Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1959 Single Cab Restoration Thread "Funky Truck"
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 79, 80, 81
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
antmang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Single Cab Restoration Thread "Funky Truck" Reply with quote

Great way to use up a day IMHO, reading posts and watching this mans mind work out problems.. taken to proficiency in time. I enjoy seeing people work who have a passion for their subject and with the desire to do things right so I binged on this thread. No matter the time it takes to complete patience gets the ob done. Kudos to you. Life is best for those of us who make the effort to reach our goals. Even if it is achieved at a snails pace.
I do have a question about your air compressor setup if you ever read this and have the time to answer. I've read your posts on what you have and saw the picture but I could use some more information. Did you design your own system or base it off of something online. I am purchasing a larger air compressor soon and would like to fabricate a system.. something like what you have. Any help appreciated.
Myself? I currently have a Syncro project and a Vanagon driver with a Bostig conversion but as I get older I find myself developing a greater interest in the early air cooled models.. especially the Single Cab Trucks like Funky... (I found this thread via Google search) So now the search is on for another project.. an early single cab... and now the need to learn everything about them as I have done with multiple vehicles over the years of different manufacturers that catch my eye... and the only thing I can say is... why do I always develop an interest for a car when the cost to buy one pushes the limits of my income? IDK but I do know one thing...As always, all the classics I've owned over the years... I should have bought it 10 years ago....
Keep on trucking my friends... and bring your tools...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DanielSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Single Cab Restoration Thread "Funky Truck" Reply with quote

Hello Kurt,

Daniel here from Germany.
Really great work!!!!!
I'm working on a '63 SC on the Moment. So i need your help. I can not find parts in europe. Can you tell me, where can i get the following one's:

I Need the "Soap dish":

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

an the loops ( the parts below in the Picture) for the canopy Straps

Thanks a lot!

Beset regards from Bavaria, Germany!
Daniel

PS: sorry for my bad english! Embarassed
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Single Cab Restoration Thread "Funky Truck" Reply with quote

Here are the body loops-
https://www.thethingshop.com/BODY-LOOP-FOR-CONV-TOP-WELD-ON/productinfo/181871240/
And the “soap dish”-
https://www.klassicfab.com/product/kf874-rear-gate-step-all-years/

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
DanielSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Single Cab Restoration Thread "Funky Truck" Reply with quote

Hello,

thanks a lot!!!
I hope the companies will send to Germany...

Daniel
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Single Cab Restoration Thread "Funky Truck" Reply with quote

DanielSC wrote:
Hello,

thanks a lot!!!
I hope the companies will send to Germany...

Daniel

Klassikfab has distributors in Europe. Evams classic for example

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Navydave73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Single Cab Restoration Thread "Funky Truck" Reply with quote

Kurt, fabulous job man. The picture of the truck with PVC pipe on it......look at the shine and depth on the passenger door. Amazing. I just finished 2 1960 ragtop bugs and have been working on my 1959 23 window Kombi conversion. My buddy asked me to do the metal work on his 21 window, so now I’m into that and will get back to my 23 at some point.

Along the way, a 1960 SWR single cab with Brazilian canopy fell into my lap. Hopefully it will turn out as nice as yours. Your woodworking skills have made you the patient craftsman. My buddy and i have a standing argument about mig vs tig. I am a mig welder.....don’t have time for BS, burn through the paint and rust and lets get er done. He is a tig welder, prep every piece, listen to Mozart, sit on your stool and operate the foot switch...la la la.

I need to learn patience. I have been mig welding for 20 years as a hobbiest. Maybe its time to slow down and Learn woodworking, tig welding skills.

I have build threads on here for my projects, but i am horrible about updating them. You have a thread and a YouTube channel. You are my hero. Did you ever check out Burlyhammer’s build thread on his 15 window? Very meticulous.

My plan with the single cab is to drive it as is until the 23 is done, then on the rotisserie it will go. Hope to meet you at PRado next year or OCTO in october.
Fifty-Eight Rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Single Cab Restoration Thread "Funky Truck" Reply with quote

Navydave73 wrote:
I am a mig welder.....don’t have time for BS, burn through the paint and rust and lets get er done. He is a tig welder, prep every piece, listen to Mozart, sit on your stool and operate the foot switch...la la la.

I had to laugh...hard!
Aint that the truth!

Those Tigs make pretty welds though

1956 Oval build thread
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

1962 Single Cab Restoration
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7959298#7959298

1967 Beetle Restoration
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=495269&highlight=larrys
glideking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:38 am    Post subject: Happy birthday "Funky Truck" 62 years old! Reply with quote

On Saturday July 17 Funky Truck is 62 years old. I paid $600 for him 30 years ago. We have done over 200,000 miles together and still going. I may have gotten my money's worth. Funky works hard on the job and still goes to the dump often.
Kurt

The gates are painted. They are grey!

1965 21 Window Restoration Thread (From old photos)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
1963 Panelvan build "Tyvanosaurus Wrecks"
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8351639#8351639
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Single Cab Restoration Thread "Funky Truck" Reply with quote

Happy Birthday, Funky Truck! You are an inspiration!

1500 single port | 1963 small nut/big brake transaxle | CSP Disc Brakes | dual circuit m/c | Deutsch Polster seats
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Single Cab Restoration Thread "Funky Truck" Reply with quote

I often wonder how Funky Truck is getting on.

Happy Birthday!

PS How's Tyvanosaurus?

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Single Cab Restoration Thread "Funky Truck" Reply with quote

Who.Me? wrote:
I often wonder how Funky Truck is getting on.

Happy Birthday!

PS How's Tyvanosaurus?

me too!

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
V-Dub Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Single Cab Restoration Thread "Funky Truck" Reply with quote

Me Three!!!!!

Did he ever get his gates painted???
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Happy birthday "Funky Truck" 62 years old! Reply with quote

glideking wrote:

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
LevBell1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:37 pm    Post subject: I need some help fixing my gates project is going to charity Reply with quote

310 993-7347

glideking wrote:
You can find out more about my flying on my Youtube chanel.

These gates are huge. Talk about surface area. I try to keep all of the gates in the same process at the same time. I could not bear the thought of having to start over on a whole new one let alone two more. Just when I think I put on the last coat there is always a low spot shows up during blocking that needs more mud. Elbows have lost their grease and skin is getting thin on my fingers. Machine blocking for shape does not work for me. I work by feel. Epoxy was to go on last week. These are still not ready. I do not put mud over primer. Gates have got to be good for Funky. There is always next years shows.

Using an X-Acto saw blade to adjust hinge to skin gap. Whacking the gates around with the five pound hammer to fit the gates to the truck changed my hinge gaps. Gaps must be maintained or cracks and rust will form as the hinges flex.
Kurt

jgallen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:37 pm    Post subject: Stuck on removing the cab floor Reply with quote

Great thread and excellent work!

I am an amateur working on a 1957 single cab and am stuck at getting the floor pan off.

First is what in your experience is the best way to get the heater tube off to be able to install the new floor pan. Mine is tack welded in spots which I have started to grind but there must be a better way.

Second is the parking brake lever. Mine is tilted about 10 degrees away from the driver. Is that right or did something push it out of true? I am having a hard time getting it off as it seems to be two pieces welded together under the parking brake. Any tips on how to proceed in this area?

Best wishes

John in Oregon

BulliBill wrote:
glideking wrote:
I almost forgot to put in the heat tube. That has to go in before the floor!

Sandblast and prime.

Set loose. I will weld it after the floor.

It would be tough to clean and paint after install. Right Bill?

Still lots to do before I can weld in that floor.

Holy Crap yeah! And I cleaned and then brush painted mine on my back on a creeper. Didn't have a rotisserie, would have made it a lot nicer job. Oh well!

Awesome work! I wish I could weld, you Sir, are impressive! I hope to get a ride in that SC with you someday!

Bill
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck on removing the cab floor Reply with quote

jgallen wrote:
Great thread and excellent work!

I am an amateur working on a 1957 single cab and am stuck at getting the floor pan off.

First is what in your experience is the best way to get the heater tube off to be able to install the new floor pan. Mine is tack welded in spots which I have started to grind but there must be a better way.

Second is the parking brake lever. Mine is tilted about 10 degrees away from the driver. Is that right or did something push it out of true? I am having a hard time getting it off as it seems to be two pieces welded together under the parking brake. Any tips on how to proceed in this area?

Best wishes

John in Oregon

You are going to cut the spotwelds to get the heater tube out. Or cut the floor to fit and weld the seam.

The parking brake lever is supposed to sit tilted like it is. The best way to remove is cut the pin out on both sides with a sawzall, press the remains of the pin out of the lever on a press and replace pin.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zacrash65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:33 pm    Post subject: Treasure chest door - video? Reply with quote

I stumbled onto your dogleg video on youtube yesterday - as I was wrestling with getting mine installed. Very timely! (even though they're old videos now!)

I'm wondering if you ever did any pics or video when you added the treasure chest door? You mentioned it on page 1 of this thread, and then page 8 has the door installed. That job is in my future and your attention to detail make me want to know how you attacked it!

Thanks! I hope Funky is still going strong!

glideking wrote:
I am getting better at plug welding. The weld through primer interferes with the arc. some of my early welds had failed. I had to drill them out and reweld. I tried scratching up the bottom of each hole with a pick and that helped some.

This is easier and works great:
I reground a second drill bit to have a flat bottom and use it to clean up the bottom of the pre drilled holes. I make sure the arc starts at the bottom of the hole and when it is half way full I do a quick circle around.

I got what i always wanted today. A treasure chest door on the driver side!

I have had this door for about fifteen years. I think I found a better place to keep it. This appears to be original paint sealing wax red. I sanded and polished some spots. I could have this color matched and paint my truck SWR?
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Happy birthday "Funky Truck" 62 years old! Reply with quote

glideking wrote:
Funky works hard on the job and still goes to the dump often.
Kurt

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 79, 80, 81
Jump to:
Page 81 of 81

Jump to: