Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help me build the baddest 67 Vert out there please!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Achtung360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought my First 1967 Convertible. What is right and whats wrong? Reply with quote

On other thing I finally my DMV appointment was yesterday. There were no walk-ins here so bit of wait.

So I get my Antique light blue plate that looks sweet with a space and the plate reads 888.

This is going sound silly. How should I mount plate on the car? I don't want to drill holes in that decklid is there any other good options? I searched Amazon for screw less plate holders and didn't come up with much. JBugs has what looks like to be the OEM version where you need to put screws in the metal.

I take it someone painted or filled my screw holes over...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: Bought my First 1967 Convertible. What is right and whats wrong? Reply with quote

Achtung360 wrote:

All I know is if I buy another car with "fake" bumpers and "fake fenders" you guys are getting a beating lol!!!

Mwahahaha.... you'l fit right in, here. Welcome to the club. Wink
ISO Albuquerque "Imported Motors" dealership paraphernalia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: Bought my First 1967 Convertible. What is right and whats wrong? Reply with quote

There is a plate holder that slips under the outside two studs on the housing for the license plate light that doesn’t require any additional holes. You should be able to find one in the classifieds, or simply make one if you have a way of bending sheet metal.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Bought my First 1967 Convertible. What is right and whats wrong? Reply with quote

A lot of good 67 info flowing in this thread. I swore over the years to never own a 67 as the "one year only" things would drive me crazy...so I now own a 67 Sedan. Confused At my age this will be my last VW, its being built how I want it not how people think it should be, honestly having a great time doing it this way. Love all of the 67 tidbits keep them coming .
67conv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Bought my First 1967 Convertible. What is right and whats wrong? Reply with quote

Achtung360 wrote:
Is the interior of the sedan and convertible the same as on 1967s?

They are different, not just for the 1967's but for ALL years, sedan vs convertible. There are specific model year peculiarities for different model year interiors. Generally speaking, from the "B" pillar and rearwards the differences really begin.

Without going into exhaustive details here, let's just say the front seats are the same vs the sedans, rears COMPLETELY different along with the upholstered rear quarter panels. Yes, much more is different between the two models inside, but like I said...without going into the exhaustive details! Then there's the '67 specific things as well Rolling Eyes

The picture below is of an original factory set of interior quarter panels for the 1967 model year convertibles. They are different in shape than the sedans, note also the convertible specific ash tray. Sedans used a different type.

Previously owned: 72 "Baja Champion SE" Spec. Edition Super Beetle bought NEW; 79 Convertible bought NEW; 67 type 1 savanna beige; 67 2.0 911S; 73 2.4 911T; 63 356 T6 B Cabriolet; 64 356 SC sunroof coupe; 72 Type-3 Squareback; 68 + 69 Type-3 Fastbacks; 87 Vanagon GL Wasserboxer
Achtung360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought my First 1967 Convertible. What is right and whats wrong? Reply with quote

67conv wrote:
Achtung360 wrote:
Is the interior of the sedan and convertible the same as on 1967s?

They are different, not just for the 1967's but for ALL years, sedan vs convertible. There are specific model year peculiarities for different model year interiors. Generally speaking, from the "B" pillar and rearwards the differences really begin.

Without going into exhaustive details here, let's just say the front seats are the same vs the sedans, rears COMPLETELY different along with the upholstered rear quarter panels. Yes, much more is different between the two models inside, but like I said...without going into the exhaustive details! Then there's the '67 specific things as well Rolling Eyes

The picture below is of an original factory set of interior quarter panels for the 1967 model year convertibles. They are different in shape than the sedans, note also the convertible specific ash tray. Sedans used a different type.

Thanks for the good info. I had thought there would be a difference between sedan and convertible interior. At least the back seats.

I also passed on the red beetle. The bumpers on that car didn't have the VW stamp or couldn't be seen so you all avoided a beating... lol
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought my First 1967 Convertible. What is right and whats wrong? Reply with quote

Take some time, and go through all 40+ pages of the 67 thread. Make a shopping list, decide what you want to spend, and an order of importance. I personally have never known someone to come out on top by buying an entire car for parts to use on one specific vehicle, so I would search individually.

I would go for getting the top in order first. Then mechanical items on the engine/brakes if needed. The over riders are what sets the 67 bumpers apart from the 66, and earlier. The “blade” portion of a 58-67 will fit if you don’t care about the date code matching the manufacture date of the car. If you are wanting specific items hard to come by, simply place a wanted ad here in the classifieds. Wanted ads have found parts for me, sometimes from those I would never have dreamed would of had them.
Achtung360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought my First 1967 Convertible. What is right and whats wrong? Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Take some time, and go through all 40+ pages of the 67 thread. Make a shopping list, decide what you want to spend, and an order of importance. I personally have never known someone to come out on top by buying an entire car for parts to use on one specific vehicle, so I would search individually.

I would go for getting the top in order first. Then mechanical items on the engine/brakes if needed. The over riders are what sets the 67 bumpers apart from the 66, and earlier. The “blade” portion of a 58-67 will fit if you don’t care about the date code matching the manufacture date of the car. If you are wanting specific items hard to come by, simply place a wanted ad here in the classifieds. Wanted ads have found parts for me, sometimes from those I would never have dreamed would of had them.

The car in the field was 2k. Some of the parts I was looking at were $300 so it made a lot sense for a moment there. The issue with that car is it has no clear title.

What is funny is people keep jumping on me for looking at rims/tires for the car. When the top needs fixing and other issues but I can't drive the car anywhere to get the work done on rotten/unsafe tires.
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Bought my First 1967 Convertible. What is right and whats wrong? Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
There is a plate holder that slips under the outside two studs on the housing for the license plate light that doesn’t require any additional holes. You should be able to find one in the classifieds, or simply make one if you have a way of bending sheet metal.

And I thought I knew "everything" about VWs. I have seen these plate mounts before and never realized they attached the way they do...wish I had seen this 40 years ago Smile . I believe I read that the dealers installed the brackets for mounting the plate when the car left the dealership, if so they should have used this type. It probably wouldn't work on an earlier model with a small plate light.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Bought my First 1967 Convertible. What is right and whats wrong? Reply with quote

there was one for the smaller light Wink

Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
Jos.Hall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Bought my First 1967 Convertible. What is right and whats wrong? Reply with quote

wwwwaaaaaaaiiiiitttt a minute. Where have I been all this time and I haven't even gotten into the party til page 4.

First off GREAT BUY 360. I'm jealous of how solid your car is. If it were mine, it's too far unoriginal to take back to original so dump it, bag it or do as you please with it. As opposed to setting those original parts on the shelf, just send em my way.

As for the bumper overrider question/sage. As was correctly noted, the change was vin 117171365. This was a 3rd week of september change which is hardly "Late '67" This was the second month of an 11 month production year and 80+% of cars coming off the line came with them.

Now since you've been asking multiple times about your wheel setup and situation. Your only option to get the wide wheels that you want under those fenders and under that luggage shelf is to modify the luggage shelf, Cut the axles down, and cut the tubes for the axles down. It's extremely labor/skill intensive but it can be done.

The easier route would be to just get short axles from a pre '67 and then you could fit 7" fuchs in there. The widest tire you'll be able to squeeze in there is a 215. Even the 205s are tight.

As for the front, if you want wide wheels in the front you're going to have to get a drastically narrowed beam and possibly modify the inner fender to make it work. I'm assuming with a 4 in narrowed beam you can fit 205s in the front as well without hitting the outer fenders.

AS for the "$300 Headlight rings", please note that you will only get $300 for a set of headlight rings if they are MINT and have the Hella SB12 stamp on the top of them. If they don't have the stamp on the top, they're worth about $25/pair for Hella ones or $2/pair for aftermarket ones.

Lastly, Let me know if you want to add your '67 to the '67 registry. I'd be happy to get your vert in there. If you let us know what your Vin is we can help you determine approximate build date and it'll help people know which parts are correct. Parts changed all throughout MY '67 so you could almost tell what month a car was built based off what parts it had originally.

'67 L41 Sedan 117333192
'67 L41 Vert 157343589
'67 L19K Vert 157452166
'67 L19K Vert ??????
'67 L282 Vert 157419653
'67 L620 Sedan 117534350 (Sold)
'67 L54 Vert 15745800 (Parted out)
'52 Split based Devin
Achtung360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Bought my First 1967 Convertible. What is right and whats wrong? Reply with quote

67conv wrote:
Achtung360 wrote:

Achtung360, Well...since you asked - harrymarlin summed it up nicely! But you need to post more /better pics of the front to answer questions for that end of this donor car's bumper / fenders..

The picture that you posted for the rear bumper on the 67 pulled from a field appears to be original. But if you look carefully at it, the towel rail on the left side seems to be a later '67 sloping type, and the one on the right appears to be an earlier non sloping type! Maybe it's just the angle the photo was taken? Again, the back up lights and brackets are missing here too, which infers the bumper has been removed and or replaced along the way. If the bumper is a VW factory original, you can determine that by looking on the inside center area of the actual bumper blade itself, and find a small "VW" logo lightly embossed. However, being an east coast bumper, it might be obscured by years of corrosion or other malaise behind there.. The overall appearance from the posted picture looks good! Very Happy

Regarding those pesky front fenders again... Take your trusty phillips screwdriver, remove the one screw holding the turn signal chrome housing off, remove the housing / lens /gasket to expose the mounting hole on top of that fender. Is it ROUND? (circular) Then, it's original and factory produced during the 1967 model year run. Is the hole "D" shaped? Then it's a replacement fender of whatever "flavor" was available along the way in subsequent years. It seriously won't really even MATTER to you or anyone else in the final analysis since you're not going stock Nazi with it anyway! Just enjoy your car..

Once again, we're out here in the weeds on all this esoterica because you asked! Not trying to denegrade anything regarding your sweet '67 convertible score. You should be very proud of it and take it in any direction you choose to go with it.

I can't sleep at night until I know that I own OG front fenders. Are these OG? The guy wants $200 for them. How does that sound?

Thanks everyone.
Achtung360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Bought my First 1967 Convertible. What is right and whats wrong? Reply with quote

[quote="Jos.Hall"]wwwwaaaaaaaiiiiitttt a minute. Where have I been all this time and I haven't even gotten into the party til page 4.

First off GREAT BUY 360. I'm jealous of how solid your car is. If it were mine, it's too far unoriginal to take back to original so dump it, bag it or do as you please with it. As opposed to setting those original parts on the shelf, just send em my way.

As for the bumper overrider question/sage. As was correctly noted, the change was vin 117171365. This was a 3rd week of september change which is hardly "Late '67" This was the second month of an 11 month production year and 80+% of cars coming off the line came with them.

Now since you've been asking multiple times about your wheel setup and situation. Your only option to get the wide wheels that you want under those fenders and under that luggage shelf is to modify the luggage shelf, Cut the axles down, and cut the tubes for the axles down. It's extremely labor/skill intensive but it can be done.

The easier route would be to just get short axles from a pre '67 and then you could fit 7" fuchs in there. The widest tire you'll be able to squeeze in there is a 215. Even the 205s are tight.

As for the front, if you want wide wheels in the front you're going to have to get a drastically narrowed beam and possibly modify the inner fender to make it work. I'm assuming with a 4 in narrowed beam you can fit 205s in the front as well without hitting the outer fenders. /quote]

Well the truth is... This man found me out well it wasn't a secret. I don't have plants to keep the car original. I would like to collect all the OG parts though. When I was a kid I found this magazine (had it ever since) and planned to build this car. Then when I came around here all I heard about is how 67 cars are the cream of the crop so I went with that and this car fit the perfect match. Nothing inside and ready to build out.

I don't ever plan to cut any precious metal but that is the car I plan to build.
I also plan to put an ev/electric engine the car soon as they become a little more common place and and put the og engine up. You can get the weight distribution to near 50/50 with the placement of the battery packs.
Achtung360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Bought my First 1967 Convertible. What is right and whats wrong? Reply with quote

[quote="60ragtop"]inside of the bumper near the middle/quote]

I found a bumper a rear bumper $300. What do you guys think?

Is this the late model I need?

Thanks
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought my First 1967 Convertible. What is right and whats wrong? Reply with quote

Achtung360 wrote:
Is this the late model I need?

Yes...
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
Achtung360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought my First 1967 Convertible. What is right and whats wrong? Reply with quote

Any word on the fenders guys? The same guy is selling the bumpers $100 a piece on the fenders. Do they look OG and worth it?

Thanks

Also can anyone tell me if these are OG Fuchs rims? A good deal but sadly 16 inch and also what it would cost to bring them back?
Jos.Hall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought my First 1967 Convertible. What is right and whats wrong? Reply with quote

Originals. They should have a 911.xxx.xxx part number on them back. Most likely 911.361.020 If you can buy the set for $1200 or less you’re doing well. The caps are about 150-$200 for a set of 4 if they’re missing.

To restore them, it’s about $250 ea

'67 L41 Sedan 117333192
'67 L41 Vert 157343589
'67 L19K Vert 157452166
'67 L19K Vert ??????
'67 L282 Vert 157419653
'52 Split based Devin
Achtung360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought my First 1967 Convertible. What is right and whats wrong? Reply with quote

Jos.Hall wrote:
Originals. They should have a 911.xxx.xxx part number on them back. Most likely 911.361.020 If you can buy the set for $1200 or less you’re doing well. The caps are about 150-$200 for a set of 4 if they’re missing.

To restore them, it’s about $250 ea

Hi are these original? The guy has the caps but they look faded/white.
Jos.Hall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought my First 1967 Convertible. What is right and whats wrong? Reply with quote

Yep, they’re real Fuchs. Cool

'67 L41 Sedan 117333192
'67 L41 Vert 157343589
'67 L19K Vert 157452166
'67 L19K Vert ??????
'67 L282 Vert 157419653
'52 Split based Devin
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought my First 1967 Convertible. What is right and whats wrong? Reply with quote

Achtung360 wrote:

I can't sleep at night until I know that I own OG front fenders. Are these OG? The guy wants $200 for them. How does that sound?

Thanks everyone.

At a glance, the fenders look good with the relationship of the horn grills being close to the mounting flange. Look at the hole for the turn signal seal to see if it’s round. If they are useable, $100 each is by no mean out of line. I would like to find a driver fender for my car, so I would buy them if they were local to me.

The $300 bumper also looks to have the unique sloping 67 over riders. Look at the bumper uprights, and the blade itself to see if they are VW. If everything is og, and in good shape, again, $300 with the back up lights isn’t out of line either imo.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: