Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Currently available cylinder heads?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ccowx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:21 pm    Post subject: Currently available cylinder heads? Reply with quote

Hi! Does anyone have a currently available (note that word, Currently) source for a set of heads? It seems that dead stock lo-po are available and 50mm++ valved monsters are no problem, but nothing in between. I would like to find something like the L3 heads or similar that have better ports and a bit more meat in them, but still stock valve sizes. The ultimate plan is to have around 55 cc chambers and 37/32 valves and sized for 92mm TW's.

I have waited months at ACN and now more months with another private individual and the bottom line is, still no heads available to form the basis for these heads. I understand COVID has put the world on it's ear, but really?!

Any help apreciated!

Chris
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Currently available cylinder heads? Reply with quote

Have you contacted Steve Tims?
ccowx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Currently available cylinder heads? Reply with quote

Who is that?

Thanks!

Chris
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Currently available cylinder heads? Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1069091

ccowx wrote:
Who is that?

Thanks!

Chris
ccowx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Currently available cylinder heads? Reply with quote

Thanks guys! If I can't get them in the current channels I have another option.

Chris
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: Currently available cylinder heads? Reply with quote

Try Mofoco’s super stock heads.
stewartsoda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Currently available cylinder heads? Reply with quote

I think you're in for a wait wherever you get them. I ordered my MOFOCOs in March and they should be here tomorrow.

I hear that any of the China-cast heads are having a hard time making it over here, too.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Currently available cylinder heads? Reply with quote

The super stock 37x32 from Steve Tims sound perfect for you. Easy guys to talk to, I suggest giving them a call to discuss what you need. They can give an estimate of lead time.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Currently available cylinder heads? Reply with quote

ccowx wrote:
Hi! Does anyone have a currently available (note that word, Currently) source for a set of heads? It seems that dead stock lo-po are available and 50mm++ valved monsters are no problem, but nothing in between. I would like to find something like the L3 heads or similar that have better ports and a bit more meat in them, but still stock valve sizes. The ultimate plan is to have around 55 cc chambers and 37/32 valves and sized for 92mm TW's.

I have waited months at ACN and now more months with another private individual and the bottom line is, still no heads available to form the basis for these heads. I understand COVID has put the world on it's ear, but really?!

Any help apreciated!

Chris

Wish I could help on the heads....but why is the lack of availability ....unbelievable?

I work in manufacturing and deal with manufacturers of a huge range of products from aerospace to automotive, appliances, electronics, medical devices......people have no idea what is happening. The media is just not reporting on it.

Material costs up....transport costs have tripled (by ship especially)....volume of employees among truckers and ship line companies are at an all time low.....material supply chains were broken and not just money can fix them.

Shortages of plastics, metals...everything.

Bluntly put if the parts you need are cast outside this country....you have a long wait. Some of this can also happen to parts cast in this country but waiting on valves, springs or seats made internationally. Add that to the fact that the few foundries in this country are probably not back to full employee strength so production will be at fraction of the speed.....and then they may be short of raw material.

Ray
widefivebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Currently available cylinder heads? Reply with quote

I spoke with Greg Tims about a month ago and every head they had was spoken for.
GMendoza
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Currently available cylinder heads? Reply with quote

Call Brothers VW Machine Shop in Ontario California.

They should have some very nice cast performance heads in stock. They probably have stock valve with cleaned up round ports too.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Currently available cylinder heads? Reply with quote

Brothers is so awesome. I’d call carcraftstore.com also..
58 Plastic Tub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: Currently available cylinder heads? Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
I work in manufacturing and deal with manufacturers of a huge range of products from aerospace to automotive, appliances, electronics, medical devices......people have no idea what is happening. The media is just not reporting on it.

Material costs up....transport costs have tripled (by ship especially)....volume of employees among truckers and ship line companies are at an all time low.....material supply chains were broken and not just money can fix them.

Bluntly put if the parts you need are cast outside this country....you have a long wait. Some of this can also happen to parts cast in this country but waiting on valves, springs or seats made internationally. Add that to the fact that the few foundries in this country are probably not back to full employee strength so production will be at fraction of the speed.....and then they may be short of raw material.

Ray

It's difficult to leave politics at the door while discussing this, but Ray brings something up here that is approaching a national crisis, but is strangely unreported.

I'm in the supermarket refrigeration service business. The cost of all materials are through the roof, but refrigerant gasses are all up over 350% since May. Not one or two gasses, but all of them. The price-increases have slowed from every day to every week, but they continue to increase. I cannot bid anything, as my fixed costs increase almost hourly - quotes I get today are good until close of business today. I can't even invoice for work we've already done until I check current material pricing.

It's like living in a Banana Republic with hyper-inflation (which I have experienced first hand).

Meanwhile, our ever-vigilant media report COVID numbers almost in real-time. But enormous, life-changing, economy altering news regarding what is happening in the supply-chain? Crickets. In their alternate universe, we may see some mild inflation down the road... which is nowhere near as interesting as plowing over the same COVID-story again and again and again in perpetuity.

The talking heads are either ignorant or complicit, as are both parties of government. The Fed is signaling that they may start to taper the free-money spigot from "drain the water tower in an hour" to "fill the pool before lunch" sometime in 2024. Maybe. The markets are blindly tripping along, high the hallucinogens of artificial numbers that don't begin to reflect the massive scale of inflation we're already experiencing.

In short - the lack of readily available cylinder heads may be the least of our problems, but it's a symptom of a much larger illness that people remain willfully ignorant of.

Things are really, deeply broken out here.
capedave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Currently available cylinder heads? Reply with quote

58 Plastic Tub wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:

Ray

It's difficult to leave politics at the door while discussing this, but Ray brings something up here that is approaching a national crisis, but is strangely unreported.

I'm in the supermarket refrigeration service business. The cost of all materials are through the roof, but refrigerant gasses are all up over 350% since May. Not one or two gasses, but all of them. The price-increases have slowed from every day to every week, but they continue to increase. I cannot bid anything, as my fixed costs increase almost hourly - quotes I get today are good until close of business today. I can't even invoice for work we've already done until I check current material pricing.

It's like living in a Banana Republic with hyper-inflation (which I have experienced first hand).

Meanwhile, our ever-vigilant media report COVID numbers almost in real-time. But enormous, life-changing, economy altering news regarding what is happening in the supply-chain? Crickets. In their alternate universe, we may see some mild inflation down the road... which is nowhere near as interesting as plowing over the same COVID-story again and again and again in perpetuity.

The talking heads are either ignorant or complicit, as are both parties of government. The Fed is signaling that they may start to taper the free-money spigot from "drain the water tower in an hour" to "fill the pool before lunch" sometime in 2024. Maybe. The markets are blindly tripping along, high the hallucinogens of artificial numbers that don't begin to reflect the massive scale of inflation we're already experiencing.

In short - the lack of readily available cylinder heads may be the least of our problems, but it's a symptom of a much larger illness that people remain willfully ignorant of.

Things are really, deeply broken out here.

People just do not get it!

The costs of everthing is going through the roof!
People just do not get it!
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Currently available cylinder heads? Reply with quote

I too hate to bring up economics but the price of gold and silver have gone up too. Huge amounts of new dollars have been created out of thin air which always is the main cause of inflation. Prices have gone up because the dollar has gone down and it is going to get worse. Invest in something real and not in paper.

I too will be raising the prices of my valve train products in the near future because my costs have gone up.

Dan
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Currently available cylinder heads? Reply with quote

You guys sound like the trade war between the US and China is news to you. Pretty soon the wind blowing in from the East will get a tariff. Blame/credit the orange dude..
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Currently available cylinder heads? Reply with quote

I got a set of used, freshly refurbished CNC Oval port heads for sale.
44 x 37.5, PSI 1225 springs.
a few of the first fins are broken. Nothing too major. I was just going to mill them off.
Heads are large chambers for turbo use, but could be milled down.

$700 for the pair if interested. Otherwise they can sit on the shelf...
RickS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Currently available cylinder heads? Reply with quote

Dauz wrote:
You guys sound like the trade war between the US and China is news to you. Pretty soon the wind blowing in from the East will get a tariff. Blame/credit the orange dude..

Really??? Shutting down the economy had nothing to do with it? SMH
A classic case of TDS. Very Happy
58 Plastic Tub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Currently available cylinder heads? Reply with quote

Dauz wrote:

Yep. All new. China hadn't been manipulating currency, flooding markets, or buying this country wholesale until 2016. Or not. Treating them as a "most favored nation" (beginning with WJC's embrace of the conservative love for free trade) has served us so very well

... if our national goal was selling our sovereignty for an endless supply of cheap consumer goods. It's not like a communist nation is our ideological enemy or anything. It's best we remember that "we're all in this together". I'm sure they have our best interest in mind.

The thing about getting chummy with somebody who isn't really your friend is that eventually, you'll eat exactly what they want to feed you. China holds the purse strings of this nation. They sell far, far more than they buy from us, they own our debt, control our supply chain, and are in-process of gaining control over our food. If you wanted to write a textbook for how to defeat a nation without firing a shot, it would be hard to find a better case-study. But we've got our bread and circus, and were fat, dumb, and happy until we all began cowering under the bed, sucking our collective thumbs, curling up in a fetal position, and crying for mommy about 18 months ago. I'm sure we've got the national will for what we are facing.

I'm not a fan of the orange man, but one of the places where I've got zero beef with him was in his recognition that it is China that represents the greatest external existential threat to the US (as opposed to the internal threat of playing Russian Roulette with our money supply) We're just seeing the start of it.

VW cylinder heads are just the very tip of an enormous iceberg.

Last edited by 58 Plastic Tub on Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:11 am; edited 1 time in total
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Currently available cylinder heads? Reply with quote

58 Plastic Tub wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:
I work in manufacturing and deal with manufacturers of a huge range of products from aerospace to automotive, appliances, electronics, medical devices......people have no idea what is happening. ....

Ray

It's difficult to leave politics at the door while discussing this, .

yet, as much as that is the case its best that you do leave them at the door.

back to topic at hand
panchitos not an option for due to valve size ? or ?

the mofocco super stockers look like a good option
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: