Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Top frame plastic covers, is this right?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Technut27
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:20 am    Post subject: Top frame plastic covers, is this right? Reply with quote

I picked up a pair of used top frame covers for fun from thingparts.com and have been refurbishing them this past week. Is this how they are supposed to go on? I still have to make new straps.

A lot of wet sanding with 400 then 1200 grit sand paper has them looking pretty good, I have all but the deepest scratches removed.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kenj06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Top frame plastic covers, is this right? Reply with quote

Looks a little crooked. Your top frame is probably bent. Mine is a little bent but the cover should look closer to this.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I took my frame apart and did some tweaking to it so my windows fit better. Still a little out of whack but better than it was. There was someone selling a kit of parts to replace the rivets you drill out when taking the frame apart. Works much smoother afterwards.
I'll see is I can find where I got them from.
Technut27
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Top frame plastic covers, is this right? Reply with quote

Yea things seemed wacky when I put them on, both sides look exactly the same. I probably won't mess with the frame though. My top fits nice & meets the windows well. The last thing I want is to introduce issues there over accessories I don't really plan on using Smile My list of accessories I don't have for it is getting short so why not right?

My speedo cable broke last week and may have damaged my speedo on its way out. I replaced the cable but the needle bounces around at low speeds now and it gets clicky/squeeky at at the low end, that's my next "never taken one of these apart" adventure.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Technut27
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Top frame plastic covers, is this right? Reply with quote

I stared at my top frame a lot closer than I have in the past today, it doesn't seem to be bent and if it is its bent somewhere, its bent in the exact same fashion on both sides to match. All the tubular parts seem correct and the steel portions seem OK, the joints are sturdy look un damaged too. IDK maybe I have a late model replacement frame that isn't exactly right, I don't have the positioning straps either.

Is there a part number or any markings stamped on them?

Something to write down in the notebook I keep for later. My top is in pretty good shape and since it all works well the smart answer is probably to not mess with it Smile
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Top frame plastic covers, is this right? Reply with quote

T27-
It might not make any difference in how the top frame lays when it is folded, but your top will last longer if you start folding it as the owners manual illustrates.
Alternatively, you could fold your top as the Thing Shop suggests (search YouTube for their video).

Either method is best done by two people, but folding the top "correctly" will add years to its life.

Good luck, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Top frame plastic covers, is this right? Reply with quote

mondshine wrote:
T27-
It might not make any difference in how the top frame lays when it is folded, but your top will last longer if you start folding it as the owners manual illustrates.
Alternatively, you could fold your top as the Thing Shop suggests (search YouTube for their video).

Either method is best done by two people, but folding the top "correctly" will add years to its life.

Good luck, Mondshine

Yep, the way you have it folded is that the top lies between the frame pieces when folded-not good for longevity.
wbailey2112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Top frame plastic covers, is this right? Reply with quote

Couple of comments...

You need the straps and buckles for the top hinge covers otherwise you're guaranteed to lose them the first time you leave your driveway. I was able to purchase replacement strap material from my local full service hardware store and made my own replacement straps that I pop riveted into place but I was lucky enough to have the original buckles to work with.

As for your speedometer needle "bouncing"...you need to lubricate the inside of the speedometer cable. Just disconnect it from the both ends and shoot some oil inside of both ends. This should lessen and even eliminate the bouncing that you're are seeing at low speeds.

Last edited by wbailey2112 on Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:44 am; edited 1 time in total
FJBLF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Top frame plastic covers, is this right? Reply with quote

Is this how they are supposed to go on?

According to the owners manual, the buckles go on the outside.

Here is a video I made using the pics from the manual. Feel free to suscribe to my chanel

Link

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: