Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

old school erson vw 200 cam and cam gears any one ever run 1
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:35 pm    Post subject: old school erson vw 200 cam and cam gears any one ever run 1 Reply with quote

hi i just bought this cam off of a friends its in great cond. for age any one know what it is . the person i got it off of said it was like a engle 110 cam . all so the cam gear is strange. i have never seen one like it . i do know the formula vee guys cut a grove in the cam gears. to free up hp . i know berg did the same thing to his cam gears years ago . i got two cam gears with the cam . any help would be great thanks sperncerfvee
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: old school erson vw 200 cam and cam gears any one ever run 1 Reply with quote

That is done to reduce oil pumping power loss that happens as the oil gets squeezed out between the gear teath.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: old school erson vw 200 cam and cam gears any one ever run 1 Reply with quote

280 degrees.
242 @ 0,050"
0,441" valve lift w. 1,1 rokers
106 LC.

Looks like that particular cam is ground retarded for some reason.
I would time it before use and install it at 105-106 ILC
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: old school erson vw 200 cam and cam gears any one ever run 1 Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
280 degrees.
242 @ 0,050"
0,441" valve lift w. 1,1 rokers
106 LC.

Looks like that particular cam is ground retarded for some reason.
I would time it before use and install it at 105-106 ILC
.....................................................thanks for the info . i will check the cam out to see why its retarded .again thanks for info . spencerfvee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: old school erson vw 200 cam and cam gears any one ever run 1 Reply with quote

I ran one of those for years in a 1915 with 042 heads and a Weber Progressive.
Loved that cam!
I still have it on the shelf with matching lifters waiting for…I don’t know. It measures perfectly so I can’t just throw it away.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: old school erson vw 200 cam and cam gears any one ever run 1 Reply with quote

I ran one in SCORE original Class 9 where you were limited to a 1200cc.
The cam worked great even though we’re had to use the 40hp rockers that were a 1 to 1 ratio.
5,000 RPMs was about max with single HD springs. It did beat up the heads because of the springs.
And yes the two grooves in cam gear to reduce drag.
Used 36hp cam gears because they have less helix then later gears. Any thing you could to get more power with limited size engine.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: old school erson vw 200 cam and cam gears any one ever run 1 Reply with quote

I wonder just how much hp it freezze up? eye wood think possiably doing that to the crank gear may keep the aluminum teeth stronger...or not heck just make it a dry chamber Shocked
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: old school erson vw 200 cam and cam gears any one ever run 1 Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
I wonder just how much hp it freezze up? eye wood think possiably doing that to the crank gear may keep the aluminum teeth stronger...or not heck just make it a dry chamber Shocked
...............................................................................................................formula vee guys ran them for years .berg sold his cam gears . cut the same way . by god mark they show this in a book called how to hot rod vw motors and if they say it works . thats good enough for me lol lol bill fisher rocks... the cam is going in a old school motor one day spencerfvee
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: