Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New clutch cable...pedal near floor
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
brownbus2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:47 pm    Post subject: New clutch cable...pedal near floor Reply with quote

Hi

...new clutch cable. The pedal was to the floor. I spun the wing nut further onto the cable. That helped raise it some...But it is no where near what it was before engine removal...still sitting very low toward floor

How far is too far to tighten the wingnut? It is almost out of thread to 'tighten'

Should I consider washers? If so, where do they go? On the bowden tube where it inserts into the bracket on the trans? What diameter hole is that?

Measuring against old cable wont work as I cut it to get it off because threads where mashed...

Edited for context
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: New clutch cable...pedal near floor Reply with quote

Some of the cables available out there are the wrong length. The last time I needed a cable, I bought one of each brand that O'reilly listed. Kept the one I likely and returned the others. Sorry I do not remember the brand.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: New clutch cable...pedal near floor Reply with quote

You tighten the wing nut until the pedal free play is correct.

If you run out of threads, the cable is too long for your application.
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: New clutch cable...pedal near floor Reply with quote

the 'sag' gets set with washers, if needed, stacked on the nipple of the Bowden tube that passes through the upper support mount. The tube gets trapped there & at the welded lower support, that's where a slight sag should be for proper cable tension & life. If your Bowden tube is going straight from the lower tab to the upper mount with no sag, that's a problem. I keep an old Bowden upper end in my faster collection with the proper washer sizes left on it if I ever need to adjust. If you have no sag, or washers, just take the whole Bowden to the hardware store to get several washers. Maybe bring the perch too so you know the washers sit flat without interference. The it's just a matter of stacking to get desired sag & back to adjusting the cable wingnut.
If you're still trapped after all that, yeah, probably wrong cable length.
There were at least two lengths as I recall.
brownbus2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: New clutch cable...pedal near floor Reply with quote

What should be the correct cable length for a 1976?

The one I received from Cip1 is 3125mm. O'reilly has one currently available. That one is 3175mm (125'') about an inch 1/2 shorter...which seems like it would really help this extra slack.

As Robbie suggested in an older thread I could add a bored out wingnut. But would that small amount be enough?...

Looking at my old bowden tube, it has a washer on the nipple end. The inner diameter for the washer that one could but on the bowden tube is 12.2 mm according to mtmfg.com. I may try using that washer on the new tube al though it doesnt seem like that will help much
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: New clutch cable...pedal near floor Reply with quote

so to be correct, you changed the bowden tube AND the cable. Did you lay the old cable next to the new one to compare lengths?
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: New clutch cable...pedal near floor Reply with quote

You just need something to shim out your wing nut. I’ve seen regular nuts that are roughly 3/8 wide used for this. Chamfer the end that hits the arm. It’s a spacer, not rocket science. You might need to cut off some of the end of the threaded cable so I doesn’t hit anything.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
brownbus2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: New clutch cable...pedal near floor Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
so to be correct, you changed the bowden tube AND the cable. Did you lay the old cable next to the new one to compare lengths?

Steve, I changed both. The PO had crushed the thread on the old cable and the wingnut wouldn't budge so I cut it when pulling the tran/engine.

I will try find the tag end and see if I can fit the old pieces together to get the length of the old one.

But, does the length of the old one tell the correct size? I mean the old one worked fine. I just had to cut it to removed the engine because of the crushed threads--but that doesn't mean its the correct length.

So adding washers on th e tube wont help?

I'm going to measure both, then also order another wingnut and bore it out and use it as a shim like aeromech suggests. I may actually have a large enough diameter nut with the domed head in my spare nuts/bolts jar...

thanks...
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: New clutch cable...pedal near floor Reply with quote

It’s good shop practice when replacing a cable to lay out the old and new and compare. Sometimes this isn’t possible
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: New clutch cable...pedal near floor Reply with quote

Drivetrains have a few mm of fore-aft tolerance during installation, it’s possible the transaxle is more foreword than before.

The early bay cable is about 2cm shorter, so I doubt you have the WRONG cable, but it could have been made short.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: New clutch cable...pedal near floor Reply with quote

You can cut a piece out of the cable and swage it back together with a NiCr swagefrom west marine , too. Grease and a piece of heat shrink will make it look pro

https://www.e-rigging.com/quarter-inch-Sleeve?utm_...gIbOvD_BwE
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: New clutch cable...pedal near floor Reply with quote

Plus the cost of the crumpet dies/tools… The correct parts are available…
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: New clutch cable...pedal near floor Reply with quote

I have a found in the road socket that I'm using as a spacer under the wing nut. Only issue with it is while the wing nut fits well into the square end, the socket end will rotate and the adjustment goes out faster than it did with a proper length cable.
brownbus2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: New clutch cable...pedal near floor Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
You can cut a piece out of the cable and swage it back together with a NiCr swagefrom west marine , too. Grease and a piece of heat shrink will make it look pro

https://www.e-rigging.com/quarter-inch-Sleeve?utm_...gIbOvD_BwE

Cip1 has an Empi cable shortener not sure how That works...

Again, when ordering a cable I see a couple different lengths. Does anyone know the correct length for a 76?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: New clutch cable...pedal near floor Reply with quote

The bowden tube has a specific bend measurement. adding washers adjusts that. First make sure that is correct. If it is then I would try for another cable.
brownbus2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: New clutch cable...pedal near floor Reply with quote

I can try another cable, no problem....except for what is the correct length to get...I see 3215 on some and 3175 on others (both FLAP and vw vendors)

Ill pull mine off I guess and measure if the washer on the bowden tube doesnt fix it.
djdh68dlux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: New clutch cable...pedal near floor Reply with quote

brownbus2 wrote:
The one I received from Cip1 is 3125mm. O'reilly has one currently available. That one is 3175mm (125'') about an inch 1/2 shorter...which seems like it would really help this extra slack.

Wolfsburg West is showing 72-79 cable length as 3215mm: https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211721335J

They also show 68-71 cable length as 3185mm: https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211721335E

The last 2 cables I've gotten for my 68 were from Wolfsburg West, and I didn't have a problem with the length of them. Assuming their info is correct, I'd say the cable you got is too short.

Looking for a VW club in Southern California? Check out Inland Valley Volkswagens: www.ivvw.org
brownbus2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: New clutch cable...pedal near floor Reply with quote

Pulled the new one and compared the two. Same length --3215mm (give or take a few mm). New one is a thicker gauge...

****I did notice I had the clutch release pedal on backwards! How much can that factor in this problem? ****

So, back out during lunchtime to flip the release pedal, re run it through, add the washer to the bowden tube and see where that gets me. Not sure what else could be causing it at this point.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: New clutch cable...pedal near floor Reply with quote

What’s a release pedal?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: New clutch cable...pedal near floor Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
The first thing check to be sure the clevis is on right upfront. It can be upside down. Here is a happy face I believe that John, HazetGuy drew to assist in getting it right. Make sure the cable is not binding.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: