Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 127, 128, 129 ... 135, 136, 137  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

davlance01 wrote:
Maybe that's why people think their parts are so valuable, because it may be a collector car one day.
They sold a crap ton of these vans around the world, how valuable can they really be?
I question if people are actually getting the money they are asking for these vans, some maybe but being the guy laying out the cash for these things cause I use them for work I seriously doubt it.
Here's a little secret that nobody talks about, it doesn't matter if you spend $400 or $4000 or $10000 on a vanagon your still dumping the same money into them to make them as dependable as a new car.
So guess what the guy with the cash says they are worth? The more the PO has done to it the less they are worth not more. I'd pay more for a good rolling chassis than I will for a complete van covered with gowesty parts any day of the week.

Yes, but in the case of Oasis, his is a Sinka which are rare, especially here in North America.
They were sold and used as work trucks in Europe and most have had the crap beat out of them, any good ones left are worth taking care of.

I understand about wanting to be able to use the truck, not being a garage queen, but still protecting the bed.
A layer of outdoor treated plywood would work and be cheaper, less heavy than diamond plate. My Syncro Doka (from Sweden) had diamond plate on the floor of the bed but thin tough wood panels on the gates.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:
... in the case of Oasis, his is a Sinka which are rare, especially here in North America.
They were sold and used as work trucks in Europe and most have had the crap beat out of them, any good ones left are worth taking care of.
I understand about wanting to be able to use the truck, not being a garage queen, but still protecting the bed.

Exactly.

Also, a previous post mentioned DIYers slopping bedliner on. I drove nine hours to Maine to have experts go through Sinka. (Glad I did, too.) If I go through with it, it would be another dagger to the wallet, but I would be convinced I was making the right decision.

Someone saying they would never buy it because of it having that treatment isn't even in the equation of my decision. I suppose I may sell it someday if I'm unable to drive a clutch or unable to drive at all or parts become so scarce, it stays parked more than it gets driven or ... whatever ... but I didn't buy it to sell it, and whatever I do to it is to make it more valuable to me, not anyone else.

HERE is what I have when using Sinka for moving things like furniture to my daughter's and son-in-law's new home. It says "cut to size" but it's the perfect width and just a few inches short. I'm also intrigued by THIS which I may order sooner rather than later while being on the fence with the bedliner.

In the end, I will do something to protect the bed. The bed rug is a nuisance if I'm hauling branches and the like to the dump, but at least it rolls up neatly into the shed when I'm not using it.

I appreciate all opinions and suggestions. I would already have plywood if I still lived in my previous house (for my trailer), but we're throwing all sorts of stuff out now to get away from the self storage expenses and have no tidy place to keep playwood when it's not being used.
davlance01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

Quote:

Someone saying they would never buy it because of it having that treatment isn't even in the equation of my decision. I suppose I may sell it someday if I'm unable to drive a clutch or unable to drive at all or parts become so scarce, it stays parked more than it gets driven or ... whatever ... but I didn't buy it to sell it, and whatever I do to it is to make it more valuable to me, not anyone else.

Exactly
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

davlance01 wrote:

They sold a crap ton of these vans around the world, how valuable can they really be?

they sold millions of bugs and buses too. here is the rub with vanagons, or at least the way i see it.

every "vw person" took every...and i mean every nut, bolt, washer, rubber grommet off of a bug/bus/ghia etc when they were in the junk yard. these were all "cheap" or "plentiful" cars.

enter the vanagon....

these were horribly expensive for their time when a domestic counterpart could be bought with more goodies for less.

a person of means bought these new. when these vans hit the second owner/traded in because the heads leaked again owners 2/3 couldn't afford to keep these going. many went to scrap or were filled with rotors and crushed.

no one ever parted these out to the bone like the aircooleds were. go to any vw swap meet...you can literally build a bug/bus/ghia from shit for sale...you can't do that with a vanagon and would be hard pressed to find even a remnant of a vanagon at many swaps

i can have a clean bus beam here tomorrow for 250 bux. people want 500/ea for a SPINDLE for a vanagon.....supply and demand

these simply were not as sought after as the earlier cars....sucks but it's true.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

indeed look at the retail value of the dash cluster.
not a perfect one, not sure they still exist..
just a good passable and maybe eccentric cluster
$250~

every (crushed) vanagon had one.. much easier to save than a spindle but how many got saved..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
davlance01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus...
I see what you're saying and being I own one I like to see the value climb.

We are in turbulent financial times here in the USA, I'll be curious to see how this market goes. I'm seeing the price of complete vans dropping like a rock right now but you know how markets go, could turn tomorrow.

I have a nasty habit of modernizing my van so there isn't too much vw/bosch left on it anymore so I doubt my van will ever have any value but I like the van and I don't care what it's worth, it's dependable now and that's what counts to me.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

It's always a head scratcher for me when a seller doesn't know the correct year of a van they have supposedly had for years.
That isn't an 84.......

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2483015

No, I don't mean because of the headlights.

Mark
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

^^ rear wiper? or another telltale that can't be added on in anyway?
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:
^^ rear wiper? or another telltale that can't be added on in anyway?
I'm seeing square headlights, AND the smaller sliding door handle that an '84 wouldn't have. Can't tell if the bumpers are faded metal or later Fiberglass style. That's all I got.... Razz
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Red Ryder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

And look at that “rust preventive” stuff on the lower corners of the windshield. Dang! Shocked

“Scarlett” — 1990 Vanagon Carat Wolfsburg Edition
Tornado Red
connor_warren59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1235490416895697/

$8k…wondering if he’s charging extra for the mouse droppings on top of the engine in the 7th pic?
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

but where else could you buy the van to slutzville?

i have it's twin for sale. valtrexville

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

Seller says, "Needs transmission work. And overheats." Neglects to mention, "And rusty."

All for $3900 on a white '90s tintop automatic with A/C.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/314181856881000
RainierSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

Syncro Westy up for sale. The camera angle makes it look like the back seat is in another time zone.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2485917
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

ok so this whine is about Samba pricing..

apparently it's $2k more listed on samba than on the local craigslist.

WTF is up with that homey..

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/d/el-cajon-volkswagen-westfalia-vanagon/7348483013.html
Quote:
1981 VW Westy T3 in nice shape. Has Subaru EJ22 engine swap with 7600 miles, clutch has 50k miles. Exhaust tone sounds great. Cruises at 65mph on freeway with power to pass, and hauls up hills in 3rd gear. Daily driver that drives and brakes nicely and gets 25mpg. Interior has aftermarket cabin heater, new stereo w Bluetooth/usb. Upholstery is original in good condition. Pop up is fair, van comes with brand new tan pop up from GoWesty. Has fridge, stove, sink, and 12volt charge station. Tires are very good. A little surface rust here and there. Has been repainted, paint is shiny. Smog check and clear Ca title in hand. Serious buyers mention "Westy '81" in your email to me. $19,500

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2485074
Quote:
1981 VW Westfalia Vanagon Price: $21,900
1981 VW Westy T3 in nice shape. Has Subaru EJ22 engine swap with 7600 miles, the clutch has 50k miles. The exhaust tone sounds great. Cruises at 65mph on the freeway with power to pass, and hauls up hills in 3rd gear. A daily driver that drives and brakes nicely and gets 25mpg. Interior has aftermarket cabin heater, new stereo w Bluetooth/USB. Upholstery is original in good condition. Pop-up is fair, van comes with a brand new tan pop-up from GoWesty. Has fridge, stove, sink, and 12volt charge station. The tires are very good

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

EIGHT SOLD?!?! Who is buying round headlight grills with sealed beam lights for $950?!?!?! That is abject insanity!!

4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

Man, that is a $100 grill from any other supplier. A sucker is born every minute...
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

Slovakian suckers...??? Rolling Eyes

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
ttigg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

seller wrote:
Issues-

One thing noted on the inspection was a very small ATF leak on transmission. It does not justify a tear down (the transmission was rebuilt fully recently)

If it was recently just rebuilt then why does it have a leak?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2454498
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

found on a CL ad
$22k and we tossed that pesky fuel infection
https://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/d/holly-springs-1984-vw-vanagon-westfalia/7363540367.html

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 127, 128, 129 ... 135, 136, 137  Next
Jump to:
Page 128 of 137

Jump to: