Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Keep it as found or restore it ?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CzDaveC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:08 am    Post subject: Keep it as found or restore it ? Reply with quote

I have recently became the custodian of a 1 owner ( bought the car new ) 68 Beetle from the original owner.
The car is unrestored and had some period things changed on it. Such as an aftermarket interior and door cards etc . But no major modifications .
It still has it's original engine, owners manual ,maintenance records etc. It even had it's pink slip .
However the gentleman left it covered with a tarp in his backyard for the last 20 years . The paint has been burned off the roof and badly damaged on the trunk lid .
I am not a big fan of the ( Patina ) craze but , as this car has never been touched I am not sure if I shouldn't just seal the remaining paint and leave it alone.
I am looking for some input and opinions .
New fuel and brake lines, a carb rebuild , cleaned the points and she fired right up .
Thanks for your time.
CzDaveC
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Keep it as found or restore it ? Reply with quote

Welcome CZDave.
The car is yours to do as you please. It will never be original again. Were it mine, I would make it safe, reliable and drive it.

Modifications can come later Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
irvanm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Keep it as found or restore it ? Reply with quote

it sounds like you bought a great car, congratulations and welcome. Could we see some pictures of it?
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Keep it as found or restore it ? Reply with quote

Wow. A one-owner 68 with the original engine, I agree I would try to touch as little as possible. Later down the road if you are getting tired of the old original paint job you can address it then, right now drive it!

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Keep it as found or restore it ? Reply with quote

What do you plan to do with it?
    Fix it up and try to sell it for max profit? Replace the obvious non-OE parts. Paint it. The cleaner nicer looking cars will draw a higher price. Do not try to go for 100% original. It will cost you more $$ and the target buyer group will be much smaller.

Restore it to 100% original (or as close as possible)? This will take the most time & $$. If you are doing this for yourself, then the $$ is not wasted. It went into your hobby/project. Keep it and drive around in a 53yr old classic car. Drive it in parades and other events with pride. When you decide you want to sell it, be patient and wait for the small handful of people willing to fork out big$$ for a restored Beetle.

Keep it in the family forever? Fix it up the way you like. Paint it if you want. Replace whatever parts you want. Upgrade or restore it, but make it safe to drive (brakes, seat belts, etc.).
    Drive it around and 99% of people will think it is "all original" or at least reminds them of what they remember as an original Beetle because it has been years since they last saw one driving down the road.

'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
CzDaveC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Keep it as found or restore it ? Reply with quote

I will get a couple of pics of it up asap.
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Keep it as found or restore it ? Reply with quote

If the bodywork s rust-free (reasonably), then it might be very interesting to keep it as stock as possible. As someone here says : " stock never goes out of style" So very true.

When I'm working on something that was destined for the crusher, I feel less qualms about modifying stuff...after all, I saved it from destruction! I feel if I have to do so much work to get it back to stock than it's worth, and nobody wanted it to restore, then I'm pretty much free to do as i please.

Otherwise, yes, I feel it is important to save some cars from any modification, it's becoming an artefact, a museum piece, a reference for future restorations..and people will want to know how things really were like... Laughing

Think of the future generations... Smile
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Keep it as found or restore it ? Reply with quote

It will be nice to see some photos. I do understand the no patina. Here was our 68 number matching VW. We liked it. A paint job was just not in cards for us. All surface rust.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Keep it as found or restore it ? Reply with quote

I mean, I'm running around with mis-matched color fenders so...

I may eventually paint mine, but I focused on getting it driving and running safe and well. Plus, focusing on mechanical will allow you to enjoy it as much as possible while deciding what to do with the cosmetics.

A pretty paint job won't help if you are broke down. Plus, breaking down on a drive REALLY puts a negative spin on the whole 'keep it or sell it' situation/conversation.

Also consider that there are many "upgrades" and such that can be done which appear 'period correct' or are easily reversible which will increase your enjoyment of the car.

My car has aftermarket front seats, auxillary power block, cut off switch, LED strip interior courtesy lighting, LED exterior light bulbs, defrost booster fans, 'hot start relay', 12v power outlet, intermittent wiper switch, etc.

All of my changes can be reversed easily and within a day or two without any issues.

"Modification Without Alteration"
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
CzDaveC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Keep it as found or restore it ? Reply with quote

Here's a couple of pics of the 68.
It's a SoCal car so no rust to speak of just the surface rust where the paint was burnt off.

irvanm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Keep it as found or restore it ? Reply with quote

I am not a patina guy but I love that car, the old plate looks perfect on it.
fredybear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Keep it as found or restore it ? Reply with quote

Here is a pic of my 68. Original headliner, interior paint, engine matches, radio, plus. Another location I had it stored.

Purchased for $250 Than fixed it. Very Happy Cool Very Happy

Can anyone spot my mistake? Cool Cool Cool
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Keep it as found or restore it ? Reply with quote

fredybear wrote:

Can anyone spot my mistake? Cool Cool Cool

Black fender beading

Still extremely nice

1600 SP engine
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Keep it as found or restore it ? Reply with quote

CzDaveC wrote:

I would not touch a thing on that.

1600 SP engine
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Keep it as found or restore it ? Reply with quote

I’d paint it. Patina is just another word for rust.

Make it look like it did when it was new.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Keep it as found or restore it ? Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
I’d paint it. Patina is just another word for rust.

Make it look like it did when it was new.

Tim

Same here Very Happy

1600 SP engine
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Keep it as found or restore it ? Reply with quote

Steve, What is the best path?
You stated don't touch it.
Then agreed with Tim.

Patina or paint. It's really up the the current owner what he decides to do with his car.

Me, I ride with a rusted right front fender and a primered lower trunk lid. After 6 years of this. I'm considering new paint for my 67. It's just time. Plus the paint was applied in 82 after a front end hit. But that was on the PO.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Keep it as found or restore it ? Reply with quote

Take into account, Patina guys, it’s not the appearance of patina that bugs me. I’ve seen clear-coated patina that looks amazing. What I’m down on is allowing a vintage bug to rust and deteriorate. It’s rust. VW painted these cars for a reason that we all know.

Fortunately, my Bug was already repainted before I bought the car, and I have made sure to keep it looking good. I honestly don’t know what I’d do if I had to spend three to five thousand on a repaint. The wife would have a cow, that’s for sure.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Keep it as found or restore it ? Reply with quote

The first thing I'd do is put those bumpers and turn signals right in the trash. Then dump that baby on the ground and squeeze some shiny 17s under all the fenders with a heavily narrowed wheel track. Air bags come to mind. Twisted Evil

All ridiculous joking aside, that car looks rock-solid, I always love a super-tight hoodline along those quarter-panels and front apron. Nice score.

I have a philosophy that is, the appearance of rust often equates to the disappearance of metal. So how much metal do you want to disappear is the question. It actually looks like a hard patina scale has formed, but I'm always in the "paint to preserve" camp, otherwise it just tends to look neglected.
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Keep it as found or restore it ? Reply with quote

You probably don't even know how lucky you are....I have NEVER bought an old VW here that didn't need MAJOR rust repair cut-out-and-replace...I think I did the entire bottom 8" of the body on my 1303, it took a few years... Laughing

Lucky
Lucky
Lucky... Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: