Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bus Relocation
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grassshopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:22 pm    Post subject: Bus Relocation Reply with quote

Hey! I have a 67 SO-42, it is located in the Gaylord/ Grayling area and I am now in the process of securing a trailer.

Issues
1. It has been in the same spot since 93
2. I am trying to get a Uhaul car trailer
3. I need to move it to Caseville

What do I need?

1. I know I need 4 tires and rims
2. Someone with a winch
3. Someone knowledgeable on where to winch from

We are shooting for mid August or early September, any one who can help would be appreciated with advice or tires and Rims I can buy.
boulderz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Relocation Reply with quote

Does it roll? Likely that it doesn't (brakes will be frozen to the drum) but maybe if it was inside it will. If not, you have two options: 1. Drag it kicking and screaming on your trailer with the winch, or 2. Pull the drums and remove the brake components so it rolls. This will take some specialized tools like a puller. After your first one you'll get faster..

As for the winch, you can use a come-along which you can buy at Tractor Supply or Home Depot. Hook it to the trailer and hand winch the bus up. Hook the other end around the front beam. If the come-along isn't long enough, extend it with a heavy ratchet strap.

If you rent a uhaul trailer, it should have winch straps which go over the tires. They work well. Otherwise 2 heavy duty ratchet straps, one on each end over a stout part of the bus undercarriage (beam, etc.).

Take pictures, drink beer!
BonTonRoulet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Relocation Reply with quote

Whatever you do, I highly recommend you use a trailer and if they don't have a trailer for the love of humanity do not settle for one of their tow dollys. The ones that tell you that you can't back up with a vehicle on the dolly, cause they aint joking. Take a can of WD-40 to spray on the trailer in front of/under the tires if the wheels are locked up.
FarmerBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Relocation Reply with quote

If you can, get the version of the uhaul trailer with the solid ramps. The expanded metal ramps will make it difficult to drag a locked wheel up onto the deck. I winched my bus, with two stuck drums, on a uhaul trailer in about 10 minutes with a come-along and a bottle of dish soap. Of course this was after 45 minutes of fighting to pull the left rear drum.
widehatch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Bus Relocation Reply with quote

be prepared to pull the brake drums and remove the brake shoes.
buspeople
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Bus Relocation Reply with quote

I’m located in hillsdale..I don’t have any extra rims but I’m replacing a set of tires today. You’re more than welcome to the old set
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Bus Relocation Reply with quote

As for a set of roller wheels/tires... Don't try too hard trying to secure bus rims in the ideal size. Call your beetle-owning buddies and get a set of rollers off a bug. $5-10 a piece around Boise

Run a 10' strap around the front beam- not just at one anchor point. And certainly do not just slap a hook on something.

The brakes may not be seized. Optimism...

Don't back the trailer to the front of the bus if it's not on decent ground. Push the bus to a good place to do the trailer loading if you can.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Bus Relocation Reply with quote

Take pics...we like pictures..and progress report.
Best of luck.

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Relocation Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
As for a set of roller wheels/tires... Don't try too hard trying to secure bus rims in the ideal size. Call your beetle-owning buddies and get a set of rollers off a bug. $5-10 a piece around Boise

Run a 10' strap around the front beam- not just at one anchor point. And certainly do not just slap a hook on something.

The brakes may not be seized. Optimism...

Don't back the trailer to the front of the bus if it's not on decent ground. Push the bus to a good place to do the trailer loading if you can.

x2
don't pull on the bumper or the bumper gets bent.
If the bus is stuck in the mud, you can break your comealong on it.

put the strap on the big tube right above that greasy chunk of wood, not on any of the little tubes

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:25 am    Post subject: Re: Bus Relocation Reply with quote

As these folks have suggested, see if you can get the wheels to turn, dragging locked up wheels is a pain, they do sell/rent ? a winch that you can attach to a trailer hitch, or a come-a-long works well, as for tires, as suggested, try to borrow some rims from others that have a Bus or Bug, or pull the rims from the Bus & find a tire shop that will sell you used crap tires, $5- $10 each max, you may need to hit more than 1 tire shop, just explain what your doing with them, and don't pay to have them balanced. I've pulled many long sitting Buses, each one is an adventure and different.
Another crazy way to get it on a trailer, if the wheels turn:

Block the wheels on the trailer and wrap a chain around the front beam & tow it up on the trailer, I've done this a few times, but it is a bit skeetchy.... Shocked

You can also find a Tow company that will pull the Bus & drop it on your trailer, but you will need to figure out how to get it off the trailer.

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Bus Relocation Reply with quote

Grassshopper wrote:
Hey! I have a 67 SO-42, it is located in the Gaylord/ Grayling area and I am now in the process of securing a trailer.

Issues
1. It has been in the same spot since 93
2. I am trying to get a Uhaul car trailer
3. I need to move it to Caseville

What do I need?

1. I know I need 4 tires and rims
2. Someone with a winch
3. Someone knowledgeable on where to winch from

We are shooting for mid August or early September, any one who can help would be appreciated with advice or tires and Rims I can buy.

Get ahold of Bob Ellis from the Mid Mitt VW club. He can help you. I dont remember his username on Samba.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Relocation Reply with quote

If the brakes are stuck to the drums. Remove one lug bolt per in the areas each shoes reside in. Use a long thin punch thru the lug bolt holes in each drum to hammer on the spines of the brake shoes. They will pop loose quickly that way. No need for a drum puller to get them rolling.
Grassshopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Bus Relocation Reply with quote

Update:

The bus is getting relocated around March or April. I plan to get a U-Haul trailer and use come alongs, Ratchet straps, and WD-40. The rims are decent on it but I may need tires. Also, free lunch to each of one of you who feel like helping lol. Otherwise I might manage with some elbow grease.

I tried looking up Bob Ellis on FB and the Mid Mitt VW club on FB as well with no luck, if anyone can point me in the correct direction please let me know.
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Bus Relocation Reply with quote

Grassshopper wrote:

I tried looking up Bob Ellis on FB and the Mid Mitt VW club on FB as well with no luck, if anyone can point me in the correct direction please let me know.

Bob Ellis https://www.facebook.com/bob.ellis.75641

Mid Mich VW https://www.facebook.com/groups/147736333899210/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Grassshopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Relocation Reply with quote

We moved the bus! Getting it off the trailer was way harder than getting it on. The interior is decent and has the ORIGINAL CURTINS in good condition!! Almost everything is with the bus and I

mtnbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Relocation Reply with quote

nice work!
more photos when you can....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:53 am    Post subject: Re: Bus Relocation Reply with quote

Wow, good for you as you saved the bumpers on the extrication by following all the great advice. She has great patina and will buff out nicely. Please be gentle when opening it up as it appears original and your documentation will help everyone as well as yourself. It’s only original once.

Looking forward to interior images and mechanicals. I was told here to never toss anything original VW to my Westy Poptop and that was great advice.

Split Bus Projects/Builds and Preservations

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627245

Congratulations she is beautiful Applause

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Bus Relocation Reply with quote

That looks like a very nice Westy. Should clean up real nice.

How's the interior?

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
Grassshopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Relocation Reply with quote

StockNazi wrote:
That looks like a very nice Westy. Should clean up real nice.

How's the interior?

Not bad. It is musty and I plan to remove it to refresh it. All the interior is there. He packed it full of stuff and when it had a roof leak at one point, the stuff on top of the interior got ruined but the interior itself seems fine. I am cleaning it out later this year when I am back in state for vacation. The pop up canvas is long gone though.
Grassshopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Relocation Reply with quote

Working on getting the cover up, then I am going to use a come along and pull it in.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: