Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Synthetic Dexron VI ATF in 003?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sshulk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:02 pm    Post subject: Synthetic Dexron VI ATF in 003? Reply with quote

Getting conflicting views … can I use synthetic ATF dexron vi or do I need to use conventional?
72 Super
60 Mango Ragtop Camper Bug Project Thread
63 Ragtop Project
73 Auto Westfalia
2056 Type 4 Engine Build Thread
Filthy Buggers
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Synthetic Dexron VI ATF in 003? Reply with quote

I guess whale oil is hard to come by these days.

Dexron II replaced Dexron (#B-license). Dexron III replaced Dexron II. Then it gets confusing. Some say yes, some say not really. I could not find a chart that was definitive. Many other forums suggest using Dex/Merc marked oil. My bus is a manual trans so I personally can't answer it directly.

The issue is that the name Dexron is a trademark. No one can publish a label that states "Dexron" unless GM approves it. GM controls the mixture of the oil when they license someone to use their trademark, like McDonald's controls what is in a Big Mac. They let the licenses expire on the earlier Dexron products so they can't control what is in it. If you use any oil be sure to get it from a major supplier like Castrol, Valvoline, Mobil, Pennsoil etc because they are someone with a name to protect. Technically you can't get Dexron B anywhere because it hasn't been made in 50 years due to whaling restrictions. Dexron VI is only listed by GM as backwards compatible in their own transmissions, although it may be backwards compatible in others. They are not interested in the old car market. They sell and license products for newer cars mostly.

Maybe someone will be by with a better answer. A search here on the forum for "Dexron" may answer the question too.

example:
Mike Fisher wrote:
Tram has me using Castrol Transmax import-multi vehicle ATF in the 003 AT he rebuilt for me.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Synthetic Dexron VI ATF in 003? Reply with quote

Valvoline Maxlife ATF covers a pretty broad range of applications and is what I have been running in my Vanagon automatic for about 10 years now.

Last edited by Wildthings on Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Synthetic Dexron VI ATF in 003? Reply with quote

sshulk wrote:
Getting conflicting views … can I use synthetic ATF dexron vi or do I need to use conventional?

I've been using Dex VI for more than a year in a 010 series auto trans, just a
33% difference from your 003. It's been maybe 10k miles. I do believe I ran some Dex VI before that as well. Cracked Diaphragm spring in the forward clutch stopped all my fun. That is a known weakness/failure point in all these transmissions, it was fatigue cycle, not the fluid that took away all forward gears.
metahacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Synthetic Dexron VI ATF in 003? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
I guess whale oil is hard to come by these days.

Smile

The Lubegard line of products is based around synthetic sperm whale oil, and was founded by the former head of Mobil Oil Applied Lubrication Research Group.

I have been simply elated with switching to their ATF in my 010.. I found it to be transformative of what was already a properly operating transmission. The performance of this fluid in this application is impeccable.

I can see why the loss of sperm whale oil was such a blow to automatic transmissions back in the day. They really need that stuff, IMO

Several people I know have told me that they worked somewhere where adding a bottle of Lubegard ATF sperm whale additive was either done to every job or done to every job with specific applications.

I can strongly recommend their Synthetic ATF fluid:
https://www.amazon.com/Lubegard-69032-Synthetic-Au...mp;sr=8-12

My recommendation would be to change the fluid/filter twice in a short interval with some driving in between. Due to the retention in the torque converter, doing it twice will be what's needed to essentially be near a full fluid swap.

Also, keep in mind, if you have a lot of miles on an automatic, and then put fresh ATF -- it is highly detergent and you can free problematic substances up. Sometimes people change ATF on an old automatic and it fails in some way. The second rapid change helps to remove any accumulation of schmutz.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:15 am    Post subject: Re: Synthetic Dexron VI ATF in 003? Reply with quote

Quote:
I can see why the loss of sperm whale oil was such a blow to automatic transmissions back in the day. They really need that stuff, IMO

Laughing

They carefully researched many different additives, but one day a sample of sperm whale oil was accidentally mixed in and found to have magical properties. One could argue it was a fluke.

Last edited by Abscate on Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Synthetic Dexron VI ATF in 003? Reply with quote

Run Dexron VI in my 94 Fleetwood 454 TBI w/4L80E

Another trans oil that can be ran in lieu of Dex VI is TranSynd

The old DEXRON(R)-IIIH fluids would start off typically at a KV/100'C of about 7.5-7.8 cSt. By 80,000 miles, they would typically have dropped to about 4.1 or 4.2 cSt.

Typical DEXRON(R)-VI fluid starts off at only about 6 cSt, after 200,000 miles they are typically still above 5 cSt. That kind of data just proves, that DEXRON(R)-VI fluids exhibit far superior performance than the older, DEXRON(R)-III type fluids.
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Dual 40mm IDF Webers - LM-2 - 47.5 idles/125 mains/190 air corr./F11 tubes/28mm Vents - Float height 10.45mm/Drop 32mm
Bosch SVDA w/Pertronix module (7.5 initial 28 total @ 3400rpm)
Bosch W8CC plugs
Pertronix Flamethrower 40K coil
S&S 4-1 w/Walker QP 17862
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: