Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Have you ever run a really tight deck height like .030"
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:56 pm    Post subject: Have you ever run a really tight deck height like .030" Reply with quote

Have you ever run a really tight deck height like .030" and if so did you encounter any problems?
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you ever run a really tight deck height like .030" Reply with quote

Nope!

You could get some "Play-Doh" from the Dollar Store and place some on top of a piston. Then install a head and valve train bits and cycle through a full revolution.
See just how close the valves are to the piston tops. Depending on the cam and lifters, You could be ok. Or find out that all hell is gonna break loose if you run that tight.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you ever run a really tight deck height like .030" Reply with quote

I ran a .037 deck on my Okrasa engine, but that’s closer to .040

Valve clearance shouldn’t be an issue
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you ever run a really tight deck height like .030" Reply with quote

My last engine came out at .037" deck, I don't normally use them but I put the paper gaskets under the cylinders to gain a wee bit more. So far so good!
tattooed_pariah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you ever run a really tight deck height like .030" Reply with quote

So due to a series of mistakes while rebuilding my 1776 like 10 years ago.. i wound up only putting like 700 miles on it before rebuilding it again about 5 years ago.. I was living in an area where i couldn't find a machine shop that i trusted with VW heads, so I put it together the best I could..

IIRC I am currently running with a deck of about .021

I know you should never run anything less than like .026, but I did it anyway, and so far I haven't had any issues.. I am just VERY careful when adjusting timing because I know if i go too far either direction I will probably smack a valve.. :/

"Never worry about stepping on people's toes. People who get their toes stepped on are either sitting down, or standing still on the job."
-Admiral Arleigh Burke, USN(ret.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you ever run a really tight deck height like .030" Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
Have you ever run a really tight deck height like .030”

Always. I shoot for 0.030 every time. Cool

74 Thing wrote:
… and if so did you encounter any problems?

Nope.

With a good case and nice fitting set of bearings, it is no problem.

Always set compression ratio with the chamber volume (and piston crown if dished/domed pistons)… I cringe every time someone builds an engine with a big deck just to get compression down to where they want it.

If you have loose bearing clearance, or a questionable case, or are not confident in your measuring skills, go for 0.040 just to be safe. This is the largest deck I have ever used. Beyond 0.040, things seem less efficient, and I often find that big decks tend to run hotter and like more advance.

Everyone has their own way of doing things. This is just me.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
tattooed_pariah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you ever run a really tight deck height like .030" Reply with quote

Vanapplebomb wrote:
74 Thing wrote:
Have you ever run a really tight deck height like .030" and if so did you encounter any problems?

I cringe every time someone builds an engine with a big deck just to get compression down to where they want it.

I forgot to mention in my other post... pre-first-rebuild, my engine was set for 10:1CR.. i cracked a head due to an exhaust leak, and so was aiming for 10:1 again, that's why i didn't want to shim it to increase deck height for safety.. At .021 I was able to get like 8.9:1... not what I wanted, but it runs strong enough for now..

"Never worry about stepping on people's toes. People who get their toes stepped on are either sitting down, or standing still on the job."
-Admiral Arleigh Burke, USN(ret.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you ever run a really tight deck height like .030" Reply with quote

For race-only engines, I have run 0.028- 0.030" deck.

But for street engines, I stick to 0.038- 0.040" -rule.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you ever run a really tight deck height like .030" Reply with quote

I think a lot of it has to do with measuring skills, and how it was done.
One guys .028 might be another guys .040. Is everyone measuring at the center of the piston? Rings or no rings, feeler gauges or depth mic, torqued or not......

I have .038 on an 1835cc, and it’s great.

Brian
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you ever run a really tight deck height like .030" Reply with quote

tattooed_pariah wrote:

I know you should never run anything less than like .026, but I did it anyway, and so far I haven't had any issues.. I am just VERY careful when adjusting timing because I know if i go too far either direction I will probably smack a valve.. :/

Valve timing and ignition timing are not related.
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you ever run a really tight deck height like .030" Reply with quote

.038" in my 96 bore Type 1.
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you ever run a really tight deck height like .030" Reply with quote

Brian_e wrote:
I think a lot of it has to do with measuring skills, and how it was done.
One guys .028 might be another guys .040. Is everyone measuring at the center of the piston? Rings or no rings, feeler gauges or depth mic, torqued or not......

I have .038 on an 1835cc, and it’s great.

Brian

Thats the real scoop right there!

There has been so many times people post a thread saying "Im getting different reading between cylinders, what should i do". And people give advice like swapping rods/cylinders, and the frustration continues only to find out the engine was perfect all along, and the only problem was within the person measuring.
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you ever run a really tight deck height like .030" Reply with quote

I'm running 0.038 too Cool Nothing's happened yet...
Wreck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you ever run a really tight deck height like .030" Reply with quote

You don’t need expensive tools either . I just use a piece of aluminium billet bolted diagonally across the bore and loose feeler gauges .
A little fiddly any not the best with dished pistons but it is accurate .

I’ve 0.003 deck with a 1mm copper gasket , they have been annealed and reused at least 4 times so would be well under 0.040 now . Last time I pulled a head off there was no evidence of contact . Considering a fair coating of carbon as well .
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: Have you ever run a really tight deck height like .030" Reply with quote

Are you guy seeing the shape of the combustion chamber printed in carbon on the piston top? Like ALL the combustion is happening in the chamber? with the edges of the piston top very clean...?

I have a very nice tool for measuring., and will run 0.97-0.96 in my latest build, so, not much lower than 38... I have street engines, tens of thousands of miles expected from the builds, My ability to measure things was pretty bad for toooo long.... and I'm chicken.

And at some point, why? The desired squish/quench needs are met.....why go looking for trouble trying to get the piston to kiss the head?
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: Have you ever run a really tight deck height like .030" Reply with quote

Wreck wrote:

When I saw those jugs, something happened in my pants. Seriously. I want those. To hold them and fell how much they weigh. they must be very light. Do we have any info on the cylinder/head cooling ratio? I imagine, if you use those cylinders, you would want to direct more air to them? Although, it makes sense not to, just let them do what the iron cylinders do, which the alloys will just inherently do better simply due to their nature...Beautiful just beautiful, a lot of work to get porky cylinders on a flat 4. My envy is beginning to tip towards jealousy.

and now back to scheduled programming...
Wreck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:42 am    Post subject: Re: Have you ever run a really tight deck height like .030" Reply with quote

FreeBug wrote:
Wreck wrote:

When I saw those jugs, something happened in my pants. Seriously. I want those. To hold them and fell how much they weigh. they must be very light. Do we have any info on the cylinder/head cooling ratio? I imagine, if you use those cylinders, you would want to direct more air to them? Although, it makes sense not to, just let them do what the iron cylinders do, which the alloys will just inherently do better simply due to their nature...Beautiful just beautiful, a lot of work to get porky cylinders on a flat 4. My envy is beginning to tip towards jealousy.

just 912 Deutz diesel cylinders, very common in the performance Type 4 world . The pistons are upside down in this photo though Laughing Laughing
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Have you ever run a really tight deck height like .030" Reply with quote

Wreck wrote:
FreeBug wrote:
Wreck wrote:

just 912 Deutz diesel cylinders, very common in the performance Type 4 world . The pistons are upside down in this photo though Laughing Laughing

Of course they're "up-side-down"! Your location is a dead give-away!

I have never heard of a 912 diesel. I was expecting to see a European Porsche of some kind.... It's a tractor for gawd's sake! How cool is that!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Have you ever run a really tight deck height like .030" Reply with quote

When we are talking super tight decks the subject becomes a little diffuse, because then we really need to know 2 things. 1. Which type of piston. And 2. Where do you measure.
Almost all cheaper pistons, even regular Mahle are a hairswidth domed. So if you measue dead in the middle of the piston you will get one reading. If you measure in the sides above the piston pin you will get another reading, which is higher. A true 0,030" measured at the cylinderwalls is at the very limit. 0,030" measured at the center of the piston you can probably get away with. True forged pistons are usually flat. So there the numbers should equall each other, +/- the inaccuracy in the rod bushings.

It is also somewhat bore related as Wreck mentioned (I thinK) The larger the bore the more deck you need in order to prevent the pistons from "tilting" into touching the heads.

In an all out dragrace engine you would find the perfect deck by trial & error. You will keep lowering it until the you can see that the pistons juuuust touches the cylinderheads in the squish areas, - or at least knocks the soot away so you have a clear shape or "drawing "of the combustion chamber on the piston top.

On a street engine you would naturally not go that tight. I have experimented a little in that direction, and I have found no real gain in anything by going lower than 1 mm (0,039") unless you go all out to race specs. You can see a slight improvement on the HC and noX, but it is minor.
M. Notary
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you ever run a really tight deck height like .030" Reply with quote

OK.. I can't. But I had to leave something.

Anything less than 0.037 will leave a mark. You can go less but everything takes a beating.

Does anyone here have an assembly manual and read it?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: