Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Spark Plug Sleeve?
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scorpion1110
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:54 pm    Post subject: Spark Plug Sleeve? Reply with quote

So, I ordered a set of plugs for the Type 3. They came in as Bosch W8AC. Pulled the first plug out and saw it was a W8. Looked at it and saw the shank was fatter than the ones I ordered. Figured I messed up.

Ran to the parts store and they had NGKs. Looked at them and they were small shank. Hmmm. Must be a scarce part.

So I started doing plug cross-references and landed at Summit. Spec'd out the plugs and they are 14mm plugs which is roughly 1/2".

So I looked at the plug again and

Plug sleeve. Pulled another plug and it's about a 1/2 inch shank. Great.

Here are some pics. I see thread sleeves online and they said you have to remove the heads. That wasn't really part of the plan at the moment. Does anyone have any thoughts? The last pic is a normal plug.

Thanks, Dave

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

rustyfastback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark Plug Sleeve? Reply with quote

I had the same insert for an engine I bought. Luckily I work at NAPA & we had a KD spark plug insert that worked perfectly. I would have to check but I think the part # is 2127 (SER) line. I will try to check tomorrow when I am at work.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Scorpion1110
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark Plug Sleeve? Reply with quote

RustyFB:

I appreciate your help Smile

I managed to get the insert off the plug and would guess that if I can match the insert, I can use the plug to insert and red Loctite the threads. A small swipe of anti-seize on the plug threads so the son of a gun plug can come out free.

I am hesitant to reuse the insert as it's pretty crunchy around the top. My guess is it came out with several plug changes and the PO vice-gripped it off. Like I had to do.

Beginning to think the type 3 is slightly possessed Wink
Scorpion1110
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Spark Plug Sleeve? Reply with quote

So, I visited Napa and checked out their thread inserts.

They are 16mm OD and the plug I have was wearing an 18mm OD insert. So back home to figure it out. Realized I hadn't pulled the two rear plugs, so I pulled them and found 1 insert one not. And insert no 2 was on the same head as number one and insert no 2 was 16mm. What a mess.

So I ordered 2 online from one place (16mm) and tried to grab 2 more from another (18mm). We will see what I get.

Wondering if the driver side should get a new head- getting that PO cobbed the motor together feeling.

Dave
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Spark Plug Sleeve? Reply with quote

Scorpion1110 wrote:
So, I visited Napa and checked out their thread inserts.

They are 16mm OD and the plug I have was wearing an 18mm OD insert. So back home to figure it out. Realized I hadn't pulled the two rear plugs, so I pulled them and found 1 insert one not. And insert no 2 was on the same head as number one and insert no 2 was 16mm. What a mess.

So I ordered 2 online from one place (16mm) and tried to grab 2 more from another (18mm). We will see what I get.

Wondering if the driver side should get a new head- getting that PO cobbed the motor together feeling.

Dave

What someone did was insert the plug "sleeves" to keep using that head. They more than likely stripped the threads out doing a plug change. So use a heli-coil, others use an insert. It's really up to you if you decide to replace the heads. I'd probably pull the worst head, and take it to a machinist, and see what they say. Get them to check the head(s) over real good, and look for cracks too. That might give you a better feel about them.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: