Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

71 Beetle exhaust leak
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrob83046
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:15 pm    Post subject: 71 Beetle exhaust leak Reply with quote

Any good way to detect a exhaust leak?
bomberbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle exhaust leak Reply with quote

Where do you think the leak is? Muffler, or where the heat exchangers bolt to the head? Or where the donut seal is where the heat exchanger mates to the muffler? Another spot could be inside the exchanger itself, but you would be getting exhaust in the cabin with heat on.
Marion, Iowa
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle exhaust leak Reply with quote

With the engine cold start it up and fell around for the leak...Look for dark soot at the possible leak.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
jrob83046
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle exhaust leak Reply with quote

I don't think it is the muffler itself. I have a friend that is getting out of VW'S that has a new muffler he said I could have it. I may put it on and all new gaskets and clamps.
I will start it cold and try and check though. Was also thinking if I could use my infrared gun.
Thanks for the ideas.
bomberbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle exhaust leak Reply with quote

Gun will most likely not find a leak. A thermal camera image might pick up a leak, I had not thought of that. you would need to buy the thermal imager.
Marion, Iowa
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle exhaust leak Reply with quote

Get a small shop vac hose and put it in your exhaust tip and plug the rest of the tip with a towel. Put the shop vac into blow air mode and spray the connection areas with a soap/water solution and if there is an air leak it will bubble.
johnnyvw164
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle exhaust leak Reply with quote

Interesting idea! I may have to try that.
Marinablau703
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle exhaust leak Reply with quote

The appearance of black soot at an exhaust leak has never failed me finding a leak.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle exhaust leak Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
Get a small shop vac hose and put it in your exhaust tip and plug the rest of the tip with a towel. Put the shop vac into blow air mode and spray the connection areas with a soap/water solution and if there is an air leak it will bubble.

Or just put a rag in the tailpipe and feel of the leak.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle exhaust leak Reply with quote

A drop or 2 of brake fluid! Smokey!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
jrob83046
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle exhaust leak Reply with quote

I found out what it was. On the passenger side where the heat exchange mates up to the muffler didn't match up. The clamp was crooked. It was speaking at that point. Thanks for all the suggestions
I may use them at some point.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: