Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Testing Dometic 182B Outside Van (LP Pressure)
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
brickster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:28 pm    Post subject: Testing Dometic 182B Outside Van (LP Pressure) Reply with quote

In my new to me 84 with Dometic 182B, I could not light the refrigerator. I've pulled it out, and cleaned the combustion chamber, vents, and drain tube. I can see a decent, blue spark from the igniter.

I have a grill style bulk propane tank hose with a 10 PSI regulator. In doing some research, that seems to be way too much pressure for testing the refrigerator on my workbench. The Dometic repair guide says 11" WC, which is about 0.4 PSI.

Would that explain why I still can't light it? The gas does seem to really flow fast, which would definitely lead to too much gas and not enough oxygen for ignition.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Testing Dometic 182B Outside Van (LP Pressure) Reply with quote

Just as a double check, is your BBQ reg like this?

https://www.amazon.ca/Hot-Max-24214-Pressure-Regulator/dp/B00D86IELK

I used my Webber dual burner BBQ tank and reg to bench test my Dometic.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
brickster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Testing Dometic 182B Outside Van (LP Pressure) Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
Just as a double check, is your BBQ reg like this?

https://www.amazon.ca/Hot-Max-24214-Pressure-Regulator/dp/B00D86IELK

I used my Webber dual burner BBQ tank and reg to bench test my Dometic.

Neil.

It looks similar, but 10 PSI.

I got one with a 11” WC regulator, but still can’t light it. Getting frustrated! Open to any ideas. On my old 85, I cleaned the spider webs and that fixed it.

How should the spark look? I have a thin, blue spark, but I’m not sure if it’s strong enough.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Testing Dometic 182B Outside Van (LP Pressure) Reply with quote

a simple propane tank and gas grill regulator is around 11" WC. i use that to bench test.

pushing the button with the finger symbol pointing at the button bypasses the safety interlock and you SHOULD be getting a propane smell in the gas chamber. you can keep it disassembled to watch the flame and even light it with a lighter.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
brickster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Testing Dometic 182B Outside Van (LP Pressure) Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
a simple propane tank and gas grill regulator is around 11" WC. i use that to bench test.

pushing the button with the finger symbol pointing at the button bypasses the safety interlock and you SHOULD be getting a propane smell in the gas chamber. you can keep it disassembled to watch the flame and even light it with a lighter.

Helpful, thank you!

I found that my igniter wire was frayed. Continuity is sporadic. So close to the igniter that I can’t think of a way to repair…
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Testing Dometic 182B Outside Van (LP Pressure) Reply with quote

they're all frayed... and with the tall porcelin insulator, is not a problem. make sure you can see the spark when the burner pan is disassembled from the combustion chamber. you can run the flame in the open with the gas line connected and the sparker to light it. but just try lighting it with a lighter with the burner pan pulled off and everything hooked up.

www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
brickster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Testing Dometic 182B Outside Van (LP Pressure) Reply with quote

I stripped back the insulation and was able to stabilize the continuity while installed.

Lit on first try!

I see that this part is still available, so I think I'll order one to avoid pulling the fridge again.
colins84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Testing Dometic 182B Outside Van (LP Pressure) Reply with quote

Be aware… I just ordered one from BusDepot.com, the are not in stock and won’t be until next year.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Testing Dometic 182B Outside Van (LP Pressure) Reply with quote

By now you'd think someone would've found a way to adapt a BBQ or other piezo to the Dometic burner box.

Just an example, looks way too long but:

https://bermuda.desertcart.com/products/17828466-5...e-assembly

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
brickster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Testing Dometic 182B Outside Van (LP Pressure) Reply with quote

Should the fridge work plugged in on my workbench? I assumed that the 2 connectors I pulled apart to remove the fridge are only used for 12V.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Testing Dometic 182B Outside Van (LP Pressure) Reply with quote

brickster wrote:
Should the fridge work plugged in on my workbench?

Yes.

The cooling fan won't work with just AC power connected but for bench testing purposes, a non issue.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
brickster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Testing Dometic 182B Outside Van (LP Pressure) Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
brickster wrote:
Should the fridge work plugged in on my workbench?

Yes.

The cooling fan won't work with just AC power connected but for bench testing purposes, a non issue.

Neil.

I'm glad you mentioned that, because that's exactly what I'd like to test! I replaced the stock fan.

What would be the best way to test the cooling fan on a workbench? I just want to make sure it's good before I put the refrigerator back in.
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Testing Dometic 182B Outside Van (LP Pressure) Reply with quote

There is a thermo switch on the upper fins, to the ledt if you are facing door. Near the flue. Two wires going in and out of it.

If you’ve hooked up 12 volts to your fridge connector, then if you connect those two wires at the thermo switch together ( jump them ) the fan should go on.

I think the switch closes at around 110-120 F But dont quote me. You could heat the switch up with heat gun carefully and check it’s function…. Ie fan should go on

Alistair
Old address still works...
http://shufti.wordpress.com
brickster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Testing Dometic 182B Outside Van (LP Pressure) Reply with quote

ragnarhairybreeks wrote:
There is a thermo switch on the upper fins, to the ledt if you are facing door. Near the flue. Two wires going in and out of it.

If you’ve hooked up 12 volts to your fridge connector, then if you connect those two wires at the thermo switch together ( jump them ) the fan should go on.

I think the switch closes at around 110-120 F But dont quote me. You could heat the switch up with heat gun carefully and check it’s function…. Ie fan should go on

Alistair

Thank you. I don't have it hooked up to 12V because it's on my workbench. It sounds like I'd need to hook it up to test the fan then?

There are two 12V connectors, one is a single spade connector with black wire, and the other is a harness with 3 wires (black, blue & brown). I'll see if I can connect those and plug it in while the fridge is still out.

Edit: I was able to hook up the 12V cables and run it on 120V without reinstalling. I'm all set, thanks again!
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Testing Dometic 182B Outside Van (LP Pressure) Reply with quote

Hey, you manage to get 12 v connected?

It’s funny coincidence, but I pulled fridge this afternoon ( I’m off sick from work, don’t rat me out)

I had fridge issue of not enough flame last year. Wanted to check jet. Anyway, my fridge is on bench and I’ll be doing flame test with bbq reg soon.

Alistair
brickster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Testing Dometic 182B Outside Van (LP Pressure) Reply with quote

ragnarhairybreeks wrote:
Hey, you manage to get 12 v connected?

It’s funny coincidence, but I pulled fridge this afternoon ( I’m off sick from work, don’t rat me out)

I had fridge issue of not enough flame last year. Wanted to check jet. Anyway, my fridge is on bench and I’ll be doing flame test with bbq reg soon.

Alistair

Yes, I was able to after your helpful post (see my edit in the post above).

I'm glad that I did it, because my new fan's wiring was loose.

Not enough flame? Meaning it goes out, or too small?

I took the firebox completely off, removed the flame tube and jet, and cleaned everything except for the jet (looked fine). In my old 85, my flame went out due to spider webs in the intake tube.

My problem was a no light situation. It turned out that my igniter was flaky. I could see the spark, but it was very faint and sporadic. I cleaned and lightly sanded it, and tightened the crimp on the switch side of the wire. Now, it lights on the first try every time.
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Testing Dometic 182B Outside Van (LP Pressure) Reply with quote

Hey great news!

It’s all about the little things with these fridges eh?

I’ll tell ya, for the last 3 decades ( damn, I once was young) with owning a westy with this type of fridge, I’ve fiddle about with it a lot. Trying to improve efficiency with fans, shrouds, re seating with new paste the evaporator, on and on. Believe me, I’ve done a lot. Some work, some don’t.

And I finally trimmed it all down and got the best delta T , about 22-23C below ambient. That seemed to agree with what others have found.

I bet it could improved with better insulation of the box. But that out obviously.

And then, last summer, the bastard wasn’t cooling as well as before. Lived with it for that season.

This year, despite the driest and warmest for ages, we haven’t had time to take off from work until about now.

So today I decided to investigate why fridge not working well.

I found more debris in chamber than expected. Including desiccated wasp ( yeah, blocking off intake and output flues with mud wasps a thing ).

The jet was dirty, a wee little caldera of dirt on it. I soaked and ultrasonic cleaned it in that CRL stuff ( calcium, lime, rust ) . Cleaned up nicely, all together, and it lit on test stand with bbq tank and reg .

Can’t tell if it’s back to “normal” but I’m guessing it is.

I’m please that you have got your fridge working. Despite its meagre cooling compared to electric , it still works for those of us not quite in the super heat zone.

Alistair
brickster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Testing Dometic 182B Outside Van (LP Pressure) Reply with quote

Happy to hear you solved your issue too. Sounds like a great sick day.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Testing Dometic 182B Outside Van (LP Pressure) Reply with quote

there's modern 12v alternatives to these absorption fridges but i kinda have a thing for them... using heat to make cold.

for 'potentially hazardous foods', a USDA classification from my years with Health, i use it as a temporary repository for the day's perishable food. doesn't work for wilderness but fine for car camping.

www.thefixitworkshop.com
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Testing Dometic 182B Outside Van (LP Pressure) Reply with quote

Hey brickster,

Finished my test. Fridge outside at 27C ambient, fridge on bench, no door. Hand towel on the evaporator, one hour later towel stuck to fins, ice on fins.

So I’m saying success with the jet cleaning. Back to the reg operation of fridge.

Oh and Dan, yes, it’s not a fridge for many of us. But it works for my use. And I do have a bit of micro background.

I’d have a modern electric fridge, will have I mean. But I know the capabilities of the propane and I live around it’s deficits for now.

Alistair
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: