Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help me build the baddest 67 Vert out there please!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jos.Hall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought my First 1967 Convertible. What is right and whats wrong? Reply with quote

Because that car is a FULL on custom, I doubt you or anyone after you will ever attempt to go back to stock with it. That car has earlier or euro fenders, a chop top, custom seats, shaved chrome, and then to go EV on top of that. You'll be gutting all the original wiring just to wire up the EV system.

That being said, I don't think it's worth the hassle of chasing down $5k worth of '67 parts just to park them on your shelf.

That's just me though who has a limited budget.

'67 L41 Sedan 117333192
'67 L41 Vert 157343589
'67 L19K Vert 157452166
'67 L19K Vert ??????
'67 L282 Vert 157419653
'67 L620 Sedan 117534350 (Sold)
'67 L54 Vert 15745800 (Parted out)
'52 Split based Devin
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought my First 1967 Convertible. What is right and whats wrong? Reply with quote

Achtung360 wrote:

That is the same bumper one photo which I first was from the front and the only photo I had you guys told me was it was "correct." To make certain I had the owner of the bumper send me a photo of the stamp which is the 2nd photo which was different and wrong? lol

The way I read the stamp is [Month]VW[Year] (which is *really* tough, as it's a 1 digit year!). However, that would mean anything that ends with a "0" is *probably* 1970, which is well after 1967.

Achtung360 wrote:

I want to build this car similar fenders and all with an electric engine. I also want to gather up all original parts for 67 and put them up.

If that's what you want, I would not talk bumper stamps or SB12s, as you'll spend a lot of money for something you will 1) not use and 2) anyone eventually buying your car will probably not care about. I suggest save yourself a *lot* of time, and keep the original parts you have now, safe, and go for all of the parts needed to make your dream car.

Not being a modified person, I can not speak to any of your changes, but the specific engine and body forums may help. Do you have more pictures of the interior of that (not asking to see them - I just want to make sure you have the information you need to start). Are you looking to do all of this work yourself?

If you really want to get all of the 1967 parts, that is a long road, and may distract you from the car you want to drive. If you do want that route, go through the car and note any stamps on them, and then compare to the "school me on 1967" thread - that should give you everything you need to get (which you will be putting on the shelf). Then just start watching the classifieds if you want original. Most stuff comes up eventually, although you may end up paying a lot for them. Most of the parts you need will probably come from California (those Californians live in a VW mecca!)
ISO Albuquerque "Imported Motors" dealership paraphernalia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Achtung360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought my First 1967 Convertible. What is right and whats wrong? Reply with quote

Jos.Hall wrote:
Because that car is a FULL on custom, I doubt you or anyone after you will ever attempt to go back to stock with it. That car has earlier or euro fenders, a chop top, custom seats, shaved chrome, and then to go EV on top of that. You'll be gutting all the original wiring just to wire up the EV system.

That being said, I don't think it's worth the hassle of chasing down $5k worth of '67 parts just to park them on your shelf.

That's just me though who has a limited budget.

You forgot the gold platting. I don't plan on cutting any precious metal so the chop top is out.

Yes, the car will always be with me, probably this life and the next. I came to realize why I need those parts because the investment is this. Whenever I see one of you guys bad mouth my car say "its not original" I can smile and say "I have all those old parts sitting at home."

My main concern on the OG parts besides not hearing about "their not OG parts." In the future those parts will be even harder to find.
Jos.Hall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought my First 1967 Convertible. What is right and whats wrong? Reply with quote

I wouldn’t worry what the other guys think. If you go full custom, nobody is going to say a word about your non original fenders or bumpers. Ps SB12s we’re only used the first two months or so of ‘67 production so 80% to of them never came with them anyways.

If you’re looking to collect ‘67 only parts I can understand that. I’ve got 4-sapphire VI radios, about 15 seat belts, 3 sets of SB12s, and plenty more ‘67 only parts. I don’t collect em necessarily for my own car but rather just buy them when I come across them and add them to the collection. Honestly I have more of these ‘67 parts than I’ll probably ever need but we’ll see Smile

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'67 L41 Sedan 117333192
'67 L41 Vert 157343589
'67 L19K Vert 157452166
'67 L19K Vert ??????
'67 L282 Vert 157419653
'67 L620 Sedan 117534350 (Sold)
'67 L54 Vert 15745800 (Parted out)
'52 Split based Devin
Achtung360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought my First 1967 Convertible. What is right and whats wrong? Reply with quote

Jos.Hall wrote:
I wouldn’t worry what the other guys think. If you go full custom, nobody is going to say a word about your non original fenders or bumpers. Ps SB12s we’re only used the first two months or so of ‘67 production so 80% to of them never came with them anyways.

If you’re looking to collect ‘67 only parts I can understand that. I’ve got 4-sapphire VI radios, about 15 seat belts, 3 sets of SB12s, and plenty more ‘67 only parts. I don’t collect em necessarily for my own car but rather just buy them when I come across them and add them to the collection. Honestly I have more of these ‘67 parts than I’ll probably ever need but we’ll see Smile

Alright, I'm going to take that advice and move on. I won't looking for original parts anymore besides a back bumper. Unless anyone here knows of a cooler earlier year or aftermarket bumper than the original?

From now I'm going to focus on building the badest 67 I can.
Achtung360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought my First 1967 Convertible. What is right and whats wrong? Reply with quote

These are some of the other cars I've had. All my cars I've loved. I had a Corrado SLC turned into a show car in the past and that was my M3 too.

Lets take this thread in a different direction with focus. One helping build the baddest 67 we can imagine.
Achtung360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought my First 1967 Convertible. What is right and whats wrong? Reply with quote

I've been looking at these seats before I bought the car. The seats are Bmw E30 RECARO SR.

Does anyone know if I can stuff these seats into that 67 beetle? I think it would be wild to have seats with the M badge on them "all German Engineering" and reminds me of my other love. I'm a big fan of M Cars.
67conv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Bought my First 1967 Convertible. What is right and whats wrong? Reply with quote

Achtung360 wrote:

Lets take this thread in a different direction with focus. One helping build the baddest 67 we can imagine.

Wow! After 6 pages of "...what's right and what's wrong" input on some of the 1967 convertible nuances, you should now change your topic header to "Help with building the baddest vert out there", or some such. Seems like it being originally a '67 plays no part in your decision to radically rod/mod it. It's your car and fulfilling your vision for it is a personal choice. However, little will be relevant with regards to "what's right or wrong" for a '67 convertible at that point.

Previously owned: 72 "Baja Champion SE" Spec. Edition Super Beetle bought NEW; 79 Convertible bought NEW; 67 type 1 savanna beige; 67 2.0 911S; 73 2.4 911T; 63 356 T6 B Cabriolet; 64 356 SC sunroof coupe; 72 Type-3 Squareback; 68 + 69 Type-3 Fastbacks; 87 Vanagon GL Wasserboxer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Achtung360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Bought my First 1967 Convertible. What is right and whats wrong? Reply with quote

67conv wrote:
Achtung360 wrote:

Wow! After 6 pages of "...what's right and what's wrong" input on some of the 1967 convertible nuances, you should now change your topic header to "Help with building the baddest vert out there", or some such. Seems like it being originally a '67 plays no part in your decision to radically rod/mod it. It's your car and fulfilling your vision for it is a personal choice. However, little will be relevant with regards to "what's right or wrong" for a '67 convertible at that point.

Thanks

I'll update it. Like I said " I don't plan to cut any "precious metal." I was also going to stock pile all the original parts but everyone talked me out of it... So moving on.

Lets get this thread more focused as you suggested. The next step I plan to have someone take the car down to the bare metal and ready for paint. Order rims, tires, a new steering wheels, look for new front fenders, interior and whatever else. I don't want to wait 2 years for my build.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought my First 1967 Convertible. What is right and whats wrong? Reply with quote

Those 320i sport seats- they will probably fit; at least the front ones... 30 yrs ago I fitted stock E30 (the following generation 3 Series) seats into my '72 Beetle. They were brand new seats taken out of a heavily front & rear damaged car, and had the seat rails attached to the underside of the seats. Those rails were wonderful- flat and straight, so that all I had to do to fasten the seat rails onto the Beetle floors was to drill 4 holes for the M10 fastening bolts per seat. Large fender washers on the underside of the floor pans.

The seats in your photo don't look like they have any rails... Also don't see the linkage at the outboard side of the seat bottom for height adjustment. Where is the release lever for the backrest to flip forward so that you/passenger can get into the back seat?

Consider getting the factory sport seats for an E30 325is Coupe or Convertible. They will not have such radical side supports, but will have the backrest release levers on the outer side of the backrests just like Beetles had as of the '68 model year. Such seats are now over 30 yrs old so that they will likely need to be recovered because all those years of getting in and out of the seats tend to rub the leather off the outer side bolsters. I have such seats in my Ghia and they are wonderful as to comfort and looks. They also bolt to the floor with their flat tracks/rail and 4 bolts per seat.

No idea if that back seat will work in your '67; likely the rr seat will be slightly too wide for your '67.
Achtung360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:01 am    Post subject: Re: Bought my First 1967 Convertible. What is right and whats wrong? Reply with quote

Hi everyone, my car is at the mechanics shop and stuck until I figure out what rims and tires to put on the car... I don't want to "cut" any beams.

I like deep dish rims. I understand 67 have a different front beam that don't have as much room for wider rims and tires as earlier cars.

These say "sold out" but I can still get them.

I would like to put 7x15 on the back to get the widest tire I can.

The mechanic recommended the thinnest rim I can for the front "for better handling and when I lower the car less risk of the tires rubbing." Which would be 4.5x15. I don't like the look of 4.5 rims it doesn't safe with the amount of power I want put in this car. More rubber on the road sounds better.

There is a 6x15 rim that I do like. Can anyone chime in with experience on a 67 beetle rims so I can get these ordered?

Thank You
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: Bought my First 1967 Convertible. What is right and whats wrong? Reply with quote

To put the 7 inch on the rear you will need to run 61 through 66 short axles and Tubes on the transaxle. Anything wider than 5 inches on front you will need narrowed beam and that's without running dropped spindles or disc brakes, they each add about .75 inches per side.

If you plan on the custom look it's a pay to play situation, on one hand parts are easier to find than stock 67 but you will be going down the rabbit hole of what four things do I need to do to make the wheels / tires / brakes etc... fit my car.

It's fun but can be frustrating at times.

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
1988 Cabriolet VR6 conversion
Plus a lot of other rusty junk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought my First 1967 Convertible. What is right and whats wrong? Reply with quote

Save yourself a lot of effort:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2490336
Achtung360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought my First 1967 Convertible. What is right and whats wrong? Reply with quote

pondoras box wrote:
To put the 7 inch on the rear you will need to run 61 through 66 short axles and Tubes on the transaxle. Anything wider than 5 inches on front you will need narrowed beam and that's without running dropped spindles or disc brakes, they each add about .75 inches per side.

If you plan on the custom look it's a pay to play situation, on one hand parts are easier to find than stock 67 but you will be going down the rabbit hole of what four things do I need to do to make the wheels / tires / brakes etc... fit my car.

It's fun but can be frustrating at times.

Thanks for the information.

Trying to get the right wheel/tire figuration is definitely frustrating.

There is no real guide to go by when it comes to wheels/tires on beetles especially the 67. I do need to lower the car. I'm not talking about (scraping the ground) but the car is way too high especially in the front. I see all the older beetles with awesome mild looking staggered wheel setups which I'm trying duplicate and hitting a road block.

It is not so much about the paying but I don't want to mess up my turning radius by cutting the front beam. I take it that is the case after you do this? How bad will turning get if make these changes?

I had suggestion "yes they will fit just have to change out the brakes to either later model drums and have them redrilled to porche pattern or do a disc brake conversion with porche pattern.."

Anyone have thoughts on that and if it would be an easier way to go?
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought my First 1967 Convertible. What is right and whats wrong? Reply with quote

There is a guide, it's called the Custom Wheel/Tire forum in the General Technical Forums. There's also the Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's. And probably other bits of information right here in TS. That's what everybody uses, along with trial and error and help from other enthusiasts.

But it sounds like you want a blueprint, something where somebody's already done the research and application work to the point where you can check boxes on a whole list of parameters for wheel track, wheel size, width, offset, backspace, spindle brand, '67-specific rear axles/track, tire diameter/width, and a plethora of other factors in play, so that you can be assured that you get exactly what you're envisioning on the first try and without risk of of hitting any hurdles, doing anything wrong or ending up with some result that you're not completely satisfied with. Impossible.

You need to do like everybody else does; study, read, bolt parts on and try things, and keep asking questions. Spend some money on a used beat-up single wheel of the offset and diameter/width that you want and bolt it on, see what you get. Work with a wheel you already have, then do some interpolation on the backspace/offset and width and figure out what other wheels with specified offsets will give you.

Cutting your beam and turning it, or narrowing it, doesn't, per se, "mess up" your turning radius, unless you narrow it 6 inches or more, then you'll probably have wide tires rubbing. Discs with a 5-130 pattern? Those will widen your tracks even more, so if you're already wide with your '67 rear end, think about that.

Building a custom VW is all about "road blocks," and you should expect some, especially when your goal is a car in a photo that nobody around here has ever built before.
Brian Anthony
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Help me build the baddest 67 Vert out there please! Reply with quote

There are a lot of custom things you can do to a '67 convertible that can be changed back to original if needed by future owners. Below are a few pictures of my wife's convertible.

This is when it was running stock rims and tires.

Here it is with wider rims and tires. It has front disk brakes with lowered spindles and a 2" narrowed beam.

A couple of interior shots, notice the A/C. It also has heated seats.

Parade seats mounted for grandkids.

Fuel injected 1967cc engine with an Okrasa look.

Welcome to unique world of 1967 VW Bugs.

I’m not old, but I once knew a man who was alive during the Civil War, and he once knew Revolutionary War veterans.
Achtung360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Help me build the baddest 67 Vert out there please! Reply with quote

Brian Anthony wrote:
There are a lot of custom things you can do to a '67 convertible that can be changed back to original if needed by future owners. Below are a few pictures of my wife's convertible.

This is when it was running stock rims and tires.

Here it is with wider rims and tires. It has front disk brakes with lowered spindles and a 2" narrowed beam.

A couple of interior shots, notice the A/C. It also has heated seats.

Parade seats mounted for grandkids.

Welcome to unique world of 1967 VW Bugs.

That is cool real cool. Love it. Thanks for sharing.

There is a company out in Cali I'm going to call today you tell them wheel/brake setup you plan on using and they send you out beams already narrowed. I have the car with a VW mechanic of 20 years he's not even able to give me these answers on a 67.
67conv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Bought my First 1967 Convertible. What is right and whats wrong? Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
There is a guide, it's called the Custom Wheel/Tire forum in the General Technical Forums. There's also the Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's. And probably other bits of information right here in TS. That's what everybody uses, along with trial and error and help from other enthusiasts.

But it sounds like you want a blueprint, something where somebody's already done the research and application work to the point where you can check boxes on a whole list of parameters for wheel track, wheel size, width, offset, backspace, spindle brand, '67-specific rear axles/track, tire diameter/width, and a plethora of other factors in play, so that you can be assured that you get exactly what you're envisioning on the first try and without risk of of hitting any hurdles, doing anything wrong or ending up with some result that you're not completely satisfied with. Impossible.

You need to do like everybody else does; study, read, bolt parts on and try things, and keep asking questions. Spend some money on a used beat-up single wheel of the offset and diameter/width that you want and bolt it on, see what you get. Work with a wheel you already have, then do some interpolation on the backspace/offset and width and figure out what other wheels with specified offsets will give you.

Cutting your beam and turning it, or narrowing it, doesn't, per se, "mess up" your turning radius, unless you narrow it 6 inches or more, then you'll probably have wide tires rubbing. Discs with a 5-130 pattern? Those will widen your tracks even more, so if you're already wide with your '67 rear end, think about that.

Building a custom VW is all about "road blocks," and you should expect some, especially when your goal is a car in a photo that nobody around here has ever built before.

^^^ Probably some of the BEST observation /advice given thus far in 6 pages of this topic! ^^^

Previously owned: 72 "Baja Champion SE" Spec. Edition Super Beetle bought NEW; 79 Convertible bought NEW; 67 type 1 savanna beige; 67 2.0 911S; 73 2.4 911T; 63 356 T6 B Cabriolet; 64 356 SC sunroof coupe; 72 Type-3 Squareback; 68 + 69 Type-3 Fastbacks; 87 Vanagon GL Wasserboxer
67conv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Help me build the baddest 67 Vert out there please! Reply with quote

Achtung360 wrote:
I have the car with a VW mechanic of 20 years he's not even able to give me these answers on a 67.

Not all VW mechanics with 20 years+ of air cooled wrenching experience behind them are "rodders / modifiers / customizers" as such. That's where your own research, trial, and error comes into play (and the Samba!) if your air cooled VW mechanic isn't into heavy fabrication / modification.

67conv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Help me build the baddest 67 Vert out there please! Reply with quote

Brian Anthony wrote:

Damn!! That's just about gotta be the most beautiful type one engine I've ever seen! Droool... Drool OUTSTANDING!!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: