Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Parting 911 Targa
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
don1357
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:48 pm    Post subject: Parting 911 Targa Reply with quote

Every once in a while them deals do pop up. Long story short This is what $300 can buy you nowadays:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Plus a lot of body metal, rear glass, and parts on the back of the pickup truck. I had to act fast so I just tied it up to the bumper of my truck and drove it through the back roads:

I know; it looks irresponsible but there are four separate straps with a tow strap wrapped around several times in the middle. It wasn't letting go and the sub 20 minutes going down took an hour at a top speed of 20mph.

Anyways... Could somebody help me decode the vin? According to this site https://www.stuttcars.com/technical/vin-decoder/ 10-digit is a 1970~1979, and the fourth digit is the year (0 = 1970, 1 = 1971, etc) so it should be a 1974. Except that the tag says it is a 911SC, and those were not introduced until 1978.

So what year is it?

There are a couple more pictures on my gallery

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=don1357
don1357
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Parting 911 Targa Reply with quote

Nobody knows why this 1974 VIN has a 911SC? According to every vin decoder I could find the fourth digit is the year, which indicates that this is a 1974 car. And yet:

Quote:
In 1978, Porsche introduced the new version of the 911, called the '911SC'. Porsche reintroduced the SC designation for the first time since the 356SC (as distinguished from the race engined 356 Carrera). There was no Carrera version of the 911SC. The "SC" stands for "Super Carrera".

So how come this is a 1974 vin with an SC denomination?
panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Parting 911 Targa Reply with quote

Try http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/ maybe ?
don1357
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Parting 911 Targa Reply with quote

Thanks, will do
TornadoRed06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Parting 911 Targa Reply with quote

Hi,
I suggest you to not worry too much into thinking if you've got a 1978 911SC.
You have to overlook a bit the SC on the Typ 911SC manufacturer's plate. Your car is a G-modell. Those came first for the MY74 (G-programm).

The most important, by now, is to find out if all data matches. Do the stamping in the floor of the trunk matches the stamped number in the manufacturer's plate? I ask this because looking into your picture I almost find the stamped numbers funny. Rolling Eyes

According to verified Porsche data, 1974 911 Carrera targa US/Canada cars have chassis numbers that started with 9114410001 and fitted engine types either 911.93 or 911.98
So, if everything on the $300 purchase is factory legit, You've got into a 1974 911 Carrera targa (US spec). Congratulations!!

But why did Porsche found out a good idea to stamp Typ 911SC on the manufacturer plate. Honestly I don't know why. But I do know a few things:

- the 1974 911 Carrera made use of an 'evolution' of the famous 1973 F-programm Carrera 2.7 RS as it was in-fact still using the MFI system debuted on the Carrera 2.7 RS. Did you've got the original engine on this $300 acquisition?. I guess you didn't...

- in October 1973, at the Paris Auto Show, Porsche showed a new model (incidently, without an engine fitted). It was the new 911 Turbo. The very first production 911 Turbo was delivered with a 2.7-liter turbocharged engine, and was designated as Carrera 2.7 Turbo by the factory. It was handout in August 1974 to Louise Piëch, as a gift.

Maybe in 1973, at the time of introduction of the G-programm, Porsche found good idea to differentiate the future product by allocating Typ 911SC for the Saug-Carrera and maybe Typ 911TC for the Turbo-Carrera? Hope somehow this helps.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
don1357
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Parting 911 Targa Reply with quote

It does a lot, most appreciated.

Mostly I bought it for the rims, I just need to nail the year so I can properly part out and list the rest. Even for nearly free it is just too incomplete to bring it back, costing more to complete that the final value by a lot.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: