Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

WESTY so42 tent rail
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: WESTY so42 tent rail Reply with quote

The tent rail/clamps are reproduced now by nlavw.com.
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:24 am    Post subject: Re: WESTY so42 tent rail Reply with quote

Bill my 67 B42 is missing the tent and I saw nothing to indicate any of the rain gutter fasteners in the boxes of parts I received from the PO. I'm just surprised that multiple holes would have ever been considered as a fastening system for a temporary used item such as a tent attachment.

BulliBill wrote:
Yep, I have the type of tent rail that uses nine clamps to hold both tent rails to the rain gutter of my Jan of 1967 Bus. Do you have or need the tent rails for your SO-42?

Bill

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: WESTY so42 tent rail Reply with quote

srfndoc wrote:

i have it and its pretty nice I gotta say. I have the version for a rack, I have the rack off these days due to low garage.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: WESTY so42 tent rail Reply with quote

Yeah, I have an original Westy SO-42 tent with poles and stakes, it's "boot", the two-part tent rail and an original Westy wood-slat roof rack. I haven't set up the tent in quite a few years, but they are handy and really expand your shelter while camping. I guess there were some reproduction tents made for a short while that looked pretty nice...

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: WESTY so42 tent rail Reply with quote

iamdonquixote wrote:
srfndoc wrote:

i have it and its pretty nice I gotta say. I have the version for a rack, I have the rack off these days due to low garage.

It that wood all you use for camping looks kinda rotted. How much was shipping
for that long rail to the USA.
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: WESTY so42 tent rail Reply with quote

I just looked at the nlavw.com site and searched for the repro tent rail set and clamps but couldn't find them. Anyone have a link to those items?

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: WESTY so42 tent rail Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
Bill my 67 B42 is missing the tent and I saw nothing to indicate any of the rain gutter fasteners in the boxes of parts I received from the PO. I'm just surprised that multiple holes would have ever been considered as a fastening system for a temporary used item such as a tent attachment.

BulliBill wrote:
Yep, I have the type of tent rail that uses nine clamps to hold both tent rails to the rain gutter of my Jan of 1967 Bus. Do you have or need the tent rails for your SO-42?

Bill

My 4/65 has the rail attached by rivets. Ive seen later ones that used clamps.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: WESTY so42 tent rail Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
I just looked at the nlavw.com site and searched for the repro tent rail set and clamps but couldn't find them. Anyone have a link to those items?

Bill

https://nlavw.com/home/432-aluminium-westfalia-awning-channel-for-splits.html

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:

Quote:

It's been a while since this topic was used. I am wondering if anyone out there has found a solution to replacing that thin "U" profile plastic strip that slips over the painted rain gutter ... It looks like in the photo above "Major Woody" found a perfect looking product to handle the job.

Bill

The stuff I used is original. Someone had some in their stash, from a bus with a poptop hole, and they sent it to me. I heated it up to straighten it, cleaned it with acetone, and installed it. I was never able to find anything "off the shelf" that looked like it would work. However, if I had to do it again and couldn't find anything, I would use a narrow strip of PVC tape plumbers use when wrapping steel pipe to pass it through concrete. It's black, it's about the right thickness, it's very tough, and it would be covered by the rail anyway. I wouldn't wrap it around the back side though, just where the aluminum tent rail contacts the drip rail.
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: WESTY so42 tent rail Reply with quote

Great suggestion. When I first installed my tent rail (clamp type) to my Camper way back in 1984 or so I didn't know that there was a plastic "U" strip initially installed onto the painted raingutter. But there was no way in hell that I was going to clamp my tent rails onto that freshly painted raingutter without figuring out some sort of gasket or soft buffer! I settled on a can of that paint-on liquid red tool handle coating. With a small brush I painted a nice coat onto the gutter contact surface of the tent rails and let it dry for a few days. Then installed it. It's been on the Bus ever since and it is holding up fine since 1985. But when I saw the photo with that perfect white "U" channel I was hoping to find more of it to re-do mine!

I wish that Wolfsburg West, NLAVW or one of the other Camper part supply shops would reproduce it for all of us. I'm betting that the vast majority of us with SO-42 tent-rails for their campers do not have that "U" channel in nice or even usable condition anymore. I'd sure buy some!

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: WESTY so42 tent rail Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
iamdonquixote wrote:
srfndoc wrote:

It that wood all you use for camping looks kinda rotted. How much was shipping
for that long rail to the USA.

i don't recall, not cheap I bought some laminate from them at the same time, I want to say $100 ish.. But this is 4 years ago already.
Shipping prices have gone up.

The NLA people have a strange communication style but it all worked out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Craig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: WESTY so42 tent rail Reply with quote

Pics from the gallery:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: WESTY so42 tent rail Reply with quote

I have what I believe to be an original set (long front piece and a small rear piece) of the gutter protectors. They aren't white though. They are oxidized but look to have been a blue gray color. I'll have to try to remember to get a pic. Anyone else seen a color besides white?
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: WESTY so42 tent rail Reply with quote

Okie Adam wrote:
I have what I believe to be an original set (long front piece and a small rear piece) of the gutter protectors. They aren't white though. They are oxidized but look to have been a blue gray color. I'll have to try to remember to get a pic. Anyone else seen a color besides white?

Mine is off white. they used the same stuff to cover the top edge of the pop top flange

HamburgerBrad wrote:

BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: WESTY so42 tent rail Reply with quote

As mentioned above, here a a couple of photos of how I tackled that not having that plastic "U" channel sleeve on the rain gutter back in 1985 when I mounted the original tent rails (yep, I used 1980's SAE fasteners, but the tent rails and nine clamps are originals - no repo's back then). I dipped the clamp ends and brush painted on red "tool dip" on the contact surface of the tent rails.

If someone figures out how to reproduce that thin plastic "U" channel, let the rest of us know!

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: WESTY so42 tent rail Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:

What is the horizontal slot cut into your gutter tent railing? I've never seen that on rails I've seen or either of my two rails.
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: WESTY so42 tent rail Reply with quote

Yeah, that was "owner installed" (by me).

Way back in 1986 or so when I initially refreshed/painted the Bus, I didn't have a correct Westy tent yet, but I already had the Westy tent rail set. I soon found an aftermarket Sundial or similar era-correct tent and it attached it's frame tubing to the Bus differently (didn't use the Westy yellow canvas "boot" connector strip). The aftermarket tent had flattened conduit frame ends, so I carefully drilled and then filed out a perfect slot/hole at the forward and rearward ends for the flattened conduit so that the tent could attach nicely to the Westy tent rails attached to my rain gutter. Shortly afterward I was able to locate and score a beautiful condition and complete, correct 1965-67 Westy floorless tent/boot/pole set/bag set/stakes, original guy line tie-downs, etc (minus a fresh pair of those white "U" channel plastic sleeves I and others would like to find). I quickly sold the aftermarket tent and the rest is history. The "slotted" tent rails are still mounted on my Camper, but I also happen to have an extra complete tent rail set to swap on some day when I can't find anything better to do...

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by BulliBill on Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: WESTY so42 tent rail Reply with quote

A worthy mod I'd say. I thought maybe a variation of tent rail might have been discovered.
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: WESTY so42 tent rail Reply with quote

Just to note- The tent rail on my'65 doesn't extend under the drip rail.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: WESTY so42 tent rail Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
Just to note- The tent rail on my'65 doesn't extend under the drip rail.

Does your tent rail "rivet-on" to the rain gutter/drip rail? I'm betting that the type of rail set seen in my photos above that bends underneath the rain gutter is specifically for the "clamp-on" later style SO-42 tent rails? Interesting little details...

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: