Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

85 vanagon cold idle 400-500 now no start
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbhurley92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:36 am    Post subject: 85 vanagon cold idle 400-500 now no start Reply with quote

Hey guys still having this same issue cold start idles very poorly 400-600 stalling often with rich smelling exhaust. This morning decided to take it to work since I have a festival in 2 weeks and it kind of shuttered then stalled now no start.

Left it on the side of the road, the last few months it has been idling like this and once warm it drives and acts normal. This morning was really bad idling and like I said stalled driving and now a no start. Does anyone have any ideas? gotta get this bad boy running in about 2 weeks.
brickster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: 85 vanagon cold idle 400-500 now no start Reply with quote

Open up your Bentley (or download Digijet Pro Training manual). Disconnect the computer harness and test all of your sensors (in particular, the temperature sensors). Report back here.

If the temp sensors are OK, remove your auxiliary air regulator. Inspect and test. If cruddy, clean it out and re-test.
jbhurley92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: 85 vanagon cold idle 400-500 now no start Reply with quote

brickster wrote:
Open up your Bentley (or download Digijet Pro Training manual). Disconnect the computer harness and test all of your sensors (in particular, the temperature sensors). Report back here.

If the temp sensors are OK, remove your auxiliary air regulator. Inspect and test. If cruddy, clean it out and re-test.

will do once I get home I do remember I tested the temp 2 sensor last time and it tested fine. But if I recall correctly this all started after I unplugged it once.
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: 85 vanagon cold idle 400-500 now no start Reply with quote

If you were unplugging things, make sure your AFM is plugged in and check it's function.
jbhurley92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: 85 vanagon cold idle 400-500 now no start Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:
If you were unplugging things, make sure your AFM is plugged in and check it's function.

I have a brand new AFM installed currently as well as a pig tail installed by the previous owner.
brickster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: 85 vanagon cold idle 400-500 now no start Reply with quote

jbhurley92 wrote:
brickster wrote:

will do once I get home I do remember I tested the temp 2 sensor last time and it tested fine. But if I recall correctly this all started after I unplugged it once.

Can't hurt to test again then.

Regarding the AAR, I said to remove first. Let me correct myself and say to instead follow the Pro Training manual. After starting the engine when stone cold, there is a procedure to pinch the hose coming from the AAR leading to the rubber intake. If it's functioning, the idle should drop.
jayinduluth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: 85 vanagon cold idle 400-500 now no start Reply with quote

When I put a "new" AFM from one of the vendors in my 85, it ran like yours - which is to say, it didn't run. I wound up sending it back, but looking back, I think the problem was with the timing, but I'm struggling to remember if I could even get it to run at all with the new AFM. I didn't have a timing light back then, so I might have just given up on that new AFM. I would say, if you can get it to run with your foot on the gas, get it warmed up, then try and time it and see what happens.

Last edited by jayinduluth on Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:34 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: 85 vanagon cold idle 400-500 now no start Reply with quote

[1] Two things I've experienced that are similar to your issue.
Check your engine grounds, esp on the Drivers Cyl. Head and out to the connection under the Ign. Coil.
I had a similar issue kick my butt for awhile when we first got our '84.
I cleaned the Bolted Eyelet Connection on the Drivers Cyl. Head by the A/C Compressor, and I cleaned the eyelets under the Ign Coil connection,
BUT, I had enough rust in the welded nut of the body for that bolted connection under the ign coil, so the resistance wasn't going low enough for the Fuel Injection System to be happy. Running a tap or rethreading tap didn't begin to clean up the threads enough since the contact ratio of tap to welded nut threads isn't that high of a percentage.
I had to sand some paint around where the eyelets bolt up on the body itself, get a fresh metal connection for them to be clamped against, then add protection to that bare metal and the eyelets once the bolt was installed.
Got rid of my very rich running condition after starting. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

[2nd One] Twice I've had enough leakage from the Crankcase breather hose to affect the idle quality and cause dying out at stops.
1st time I had a fairly new hose split on the bottom of the hose, so it wasn't that easy to spot
2nd time was more my own fault , recently smoke tested the engine and found that since I didn't clamp the hose connection to the Breather Tower when I replaced the Above ^^^^ Hose in the past, it was now leaking around the Breather Tower.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 85 vanagon cold idle 400-500 now no start Reply with quote

jbhurley92 wrote:
Hey guys still having this same issue cold start idles very poorly 400-600 stalling often with rich smelling exhaust.

Your other posts suggest this engine's had at least two sets of hands on it recently.

Even if an adjustment to something(s) "fixed" an issue, it may've masked the real issue. By itself, that's a good reason to go through the timing etc procedures in the correct order as laid out in the manual.

IF your engine has the later style throttle switch (located under throttle body) and if electrical things were unplugged, plugged back in....

ensure that the correct plug is connected to the throttle switch. The plug to that and the aux. air regulator are the same and can be mixed up. You'd have to ID the wire colours to each plug to confirm.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 85 vanagon cold idle 400-500 now no start Reply with quote

jbhurley92 wrote:
...I do remember I tested the temp 2 sensor last time and it tested fine. But if I recall correctly this all started after I unplugged it once.

Good idea to test the Temp II sensor at the ECU plug, not merely at the sensor... that way you also confirm the wiring and connection.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 85 vanagon cold idle 400-500 now no start Reply with quote

you actually have a gift of a no-start right now, much easier to diagnose than an intermittent. so. go back to basics:

- confirm spark at the spark plug by putting in ANY spare to the plug wire and lay it against the engine. even a lawn mower plug. keep the old one in.

- if spark, confirm fuel squirt out the injectors. remove the 10mm bolt holding the injector pair down and gently lift them up while a helper cranks the engine. you should see them mist/squirt.

this is the very basic place to start and come back here with results and for more help. otherwise, we're just monkeys at a typewriter.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jbhurley92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 85 vanagon cold idle 400-500 now no start Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
you actually have a gift of a no-start right now, much easier to diagnose than an intermittent. so. go back to basics:

- confirm spark at the spark plug by putting in ANY spare to the plug wire and lay it against the engine. even a lawn mower plug. keep the old one in.

- if spark, confirm fuel squirt out the injectors. remove the 10mm bolt holding the injector pair down and gently lift them up while a helper cranks the engine. you should see them mist/squirt.

this is the very basic place to start and come back here with results and for more help. otherwise, we're just monkeys at a typewriter.

I have fuel coming out of injectors and I have spark. As the guy above said I checked wiring to throttle switch and unplugged temp 2 still no start.
jbhurley92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 85 vanagon cold idle 400-500 now no start Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:

Also swapped in new computer and coil
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 85 vanagon cold idle 400-500 now no start Reply with quote

ok. time to take the spark plugs out.. all of them. are they wet? black? ground the ignition coil lead and crank it a bunch to air the cylinders.

then put a fresh new set of plugs in and try it. does it pop or fire at all? report back.

www.thefixitworkshop.com
jbhurley92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 85 vanagon cold idle 400-500 now no start Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
ok. time to take the spark plugs out.. all of them. are they wet? black? ground the ignition coil lead and crank it a bunch to air the cylinders.

then put a fresh new set of plugs in and try it. does it pop or fire at all? report back.

I'm sort of far from tools but I did a check on pin 1 and 7 which should be hall sender and it read .2 volts even with touching the center distributor cap to ground.
jbhurley92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 85 vanagon cold idle 400-500 now no start Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:

Swapped in a new aux air still no start hall checked out okay just noticed I'm not hearing my fuel pump flick on now and had 0v on it from hot to ground.
jbhurley92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: 85 vanagon cold idle 400-500 now no start Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:

Okay upon further investigation getting the van home with ignition on and bumped my push button start with injectors 1 and 2 out no gas came out.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 85 vanagon cold idle 400-500 now no start Reply with quote

jbhurley92 wrote:

... just noticed I'm not hearing my fuel pump flick on now and had 0v on it from hot to ground.

Pump priming aside, you won't see ~ 12 volts at fuel pump with just the ignition switch on. Engine has to be running for pump to run. To test the pump (and some of the wiring involved with it), use the relay bypass method shown in Bentley.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: 85 vanagon cold idle 400-500 now no start Reply with quote

there are so many hoses. it is easy to have one pop out when you're working on things. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9690276#9690276 - the plastic connector in that pic is now pushed in correctly with the groove in the boot ridge.

another classic failure is the oil breather hose (left on the linked photo) - can often rot and be full of holes on the bottom side

the crappy aux air 90 elbow connector on mine used to always come off. has since been zip tied and rtv'd. (that is the other end of the popped off hose in photo)

unlikely to prevent starting, but also check all the small vacuum hoses, they are often cracked. replacing (or trimming the cracked ends) made my idle stable.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 85 vanagon cold idle 400-500 now no start Reply with quote

www.thefixitworkshop.com
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: