Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

amateur wiring question: dual voltmeter to ignition
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
randalieren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:11 am    Post subject: amateur wiring question: dual voltmeter to ignition Reply with quote

Hi folks,

1984 1.9 WBX Canada edition.

I'm installing a RedArc G52-VVA dual voltage meter. I THINK that most of the wiring is pretty straightforward, but I realize that I'm not sure where the best place to tap the ignition is.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Any advice welcome/appreciated!
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: amateur wiring question: dual voltmeter to ignition Reply with quote

Do you already have this gauge?
The reason I ask is because I have this one. I haven't installed it yet, but I have it!

https://www.amazon.com/MICTUNING-Digital-Voltmeter...mp;sr=8-17

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
randalieren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: amateur wiring question: dual voltmeter to ignition Reply with quote

Yes I have it. I had an empty spot in a dual gauge dashmount, so this analogue-esque gauge was a primarily aesthetic indulgence -- but I've been told it's more accurate as well.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: amateur wiring question: dual voltmeter to ignition Reply with quote

randalieren wrote:
Yes I have it. I had an empty spot in a dual gauge dashmount, so this analogue-esque gauge was a primarily aesthetic indulgence -- but I've been told it's more accurate as well.

Hey if it fills a hole -great! I do like that it has the Amp meter in it.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: amateur wiring question: dual voltmeter to ignition Reply with quote

Please confirm this but Bentley P 97.56 - 57 diagrams show that the back side of fuse S 12 and (via a hard connection in fuse panel) and S 11 are powered from ignition switch 15.

If there's an open male connector at backside of either of those fuse positions, that might be a source of switched ignition (15) positive.

Re: note in diagram re: dash light dimmer. AFAIK, the Vanagon dash light dimmer is on the positive side of the circuit. And, that dash light circuit is not fused. From '85 on, it is.

Some added "hair splitting" ramblings.

When adding a new load to an existing circuit, consider if the added current will exceed the Amp capacity of original wires involved, especially if that existing circuit is not fused. e.g. the 15 wire from ignition switch to fuse panel. However, the new gauges probably don't draw much current and if they use LED lights, those won't add much current draw to the dash light circuit. (58b). Maybe power draw specs are in the instructions. A VOM could measure how much current those added parts draw.

Adding more loads to the 15 circuit might hasten wear and tear on the 15 position contacts in the ignition switch. Maybe.

On my '81 I removed the stock black 15 wire from the ignition switch, cut off the end, harvested a larger gauge wire with properly crimped connector from a relay socket, installed that into the 15 position on my ignition switch connector. I soldered the stock black 15 wire along with a new wire to added fused loads, to that new 15 wire. I think that ignition switch was a good quality part and has low hours on it; it still works fine.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: amateur wiring question: dual voltmeter to ignition Reply with quote

I've said this before. To really know what's going on you need to have two digits after the decimal point. 12.59 has a 10% higher capacity than 12.50.

This is the one I have both in the car and boat for a true read.
https://www.amazon.com/Eaglerich-Display-Digital-V...amp;sr=8-5

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: