Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Look what was stuck to my 90 transaxle magnetic drain plug
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vana Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:57 pm    Post subject: Look what was stuck to my 90 transaxle magnetic drain plug Reply with quote

From a 90 Vanagon manual transaxle. Hope it isn't serious. it's about an inch long
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/img]
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Look what was stuck to my 90 transaxle magnetic drain plug Reply with quote

I have no idea what it is, but I'd be parking that puppy!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Look what was stuck to my 90 transaxle magnetic drain plug Reply with quote

Looks like it could be a piece of one of these, known to crack into pieces.

https://weddleindustries.com/products/091-301-120/091-301-120

Mark
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Look what was stuck to my 90 transaxle magnetic drain plug Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
Looks like it could be a piece of one of these, known to crack into pieces.

https://weddleindustries.com/products/091-301-120/091-301-120

Mark

nice find - more specifically

https://weddleindustries.com/products/091-301-120-U/091-301-120-U

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
Vana Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Look what was stuck to my 90 transaxle magnetic drain plug Reply with quote

Complete teardown?
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Look what was stuck to my 90 transaxle magnetic drain plug Reply with quote

Vana Guy wrote:
Complete teardown?

safest.

may save some parts...but (no recommended) if its acting weird already, maybe roll the dice and let it ride....My guess the possible additional damage driving it may outweigh the distance you'll get to drive it before rebuild...If I was home and had another car, I'd deal with it now.

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:02 am    Post subject: Re: Look what was stuck to my 90 transaxle magnetic drain plug Reply with quote

That part also has 4 small ball bearings, did you find them in your oil? The part is responsible for guiding your shift forks. How does it feel shifting gears?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:22 am    Post subject: Re: Look what was stuck to my 90 transaxle magnetic drain plug Reply with quote

Put it under your pillow and hope the trans fairy comes.

( lots of good material for Xevin there)
leecat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Look what was stuck to my 90 transaxle magnetic drain plug Reply with quote

I think I saw that video on the Internet. Was disturbed for a week.
Vana Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Look what was stuck to my 90 transaxle magnetic drain plug Reply with quote

old_man wrote:
That part also has 4 small ball bearings, did you find them in your oil? The part is responsible for guiding your shift forks. How does it feel shifting gears?

Except for 2d gear being a little stiff when cold, no problems at all. No balls. (more material)
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Look what was stuck to my 90 transaxle magnetic drain plug Reply with quote

Vana Guy wrote:
old_man wrote:

Except for 2d gear being a little stiff when cold, no problems at all. No balls. (more material)

There are ball bearings floating around in there.
Unless a previous owner found them on the magnet and didn't tell you.
When one of them gets tossed thru your gears, that will destroy expensive parts and perhaps the van will be stuck too.

Possibly they already went thru gears etc, and have already destroyed them (but it still drives).

Problem with Vanagons, you can't go to the wrecking yard and get a trans from a low-mile wreck for $175 anymore.
When parts that have 'low' miles and a decent lifetime remaining (like 150,000 miles) are destoyed, then the rebuilder has to install a high-miles used part (250,000 miles). That's if new parts are No Longer Available...
Or buy a new part that's not OEM quality. New gear pairs are now about $400.

It's ideal to treat your OEM gears well, so they can be used again in your rebuild.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: