Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pop Out Window Issues 1966 Deluxe
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jazzed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:17 pm    Post subject: Pop Out Window Issues 1966 Deluxe Reply with quote

As I slowly try to finish my bus resto, I've run into an odd issue. Decided to reinstall hardware to use the pop outs, but it seems I'm missing a piece. I've taken a photo of the existing window and of an old window which I no doubt replaced, but saved for the glass. As you can see, the old window has a bracket to which the "handle" apparently attaches. It appears to be welded on. I don't know what exactly happened, but every one of my 6 popouts don't have this extra bracket. Any ideas where I went wrong? The painter is long out of business and the shop that pulled the windows is also gone (my bad for a decade of procrastination). Does anyone know where I might source this piece? It appears that the old one was welded on, but the new windows have tiny little screw holes to apparently attach the L-shaped bracket.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

d-rick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop Out Window Issues 1966 Deluxe Reply with quote

Looks like they got removed for some reason, not sure if that part is available new? But there are plenty of junk frames available with that piece still attached. Tack them on and touch up the paint?
1967 panel/camper
1968 cig-panel *1/2
1968 passenger bus *1/2
1969 beetle
1969 dormobile
1978 sage green Westy
1990 DoKa
2002 Golf TDI
jazzed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop Out Window Issues 1966 Deluxe Reply with quote

d-rick wrote:
Looks like they got removed for some reason, not sure if that part is available new? But there are plenty of junk frames available with that piece still attached. Tack them on and touch up the paint?

That's certainly an option and I've looked around all over the internet today and that part just doesn't seem available. At least I've got two junk frames to start with! Weird, however that the old ones are welded and mine seem to have been screwed in at some point.
BonTonRoulet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop Out Window Issues 1966 Deluxe Reply with quote

I've been working on the original pop out windows in my 66 standard Microbus recently as well. All of my pop out frames have the bracket welded to them. I did source one new (repro) pop out frame about a year ago from West Coast Metric, it is in raw steel and was about $40. The bracket on that one is welded as well. I figure I'll have my decent ones and the one new repop powder coated and see how it goes together. Perhaps West Coast Metric could give you some info on their supplier and maybe the availability of the brackets from that source? Would be worth a phone call to me.

Good Luck!
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop Out Window Issues 1966 Deluxe Reply with quote

I’ve encountered repro frames with screw on tabs. I can’t recall the source unfortunately.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: