Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What suspension you got on your beetle?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
omarmillan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:48 am    Post subject: What suspension you got on your beetle? Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Got a '97 Mexican Beetle and I just got a full re-do on the engine less than a month ago, pretty happy with the results. Planning on getting the transmision next! But in the meantime I'd like to get dirty on the suspension.

I've seen pretty much the same thing on the internet as for basic replacements like shocks and bushings. I'd like to see what you got on your bugs to get an idea on what I can get done, brands, mods etc.

Currently I have all stock, the suspension got replaced about 4 years ago, so it can definitely get some help. I just added an Empi 3/4anti-sway bar in the front but I still kinda feel like I'm driving a boat, I just feel so much bodyroll on corners (and it's not like I'm racing at 20mph).

Tires are the Mexican stock - R15 155/85. Stock ride height.

Any tips and help would be appreciated, I want to see what you got on your beetles!

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: What suspension you got on your beetle? Reply with quote

Stock everything. No worries with the stock set up.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What suspension you got on your beetle? Reply with quote

I have coilovers made from Porsche 944 struts with 125# springs on the front and 26mm Porsche 924 torsion bars. Koni inserts and shocks (though I'm considering GAZ for the adjustability...wouldn't mind being able to dial in more when autocrossing). Urethane bushings throughout (its a Super. Urethane is a must have). I'm going to try a stock front swaybar with a 14 mm Porsche 944 rear bar, but have a set of Topline bars (22+ mm F/19 mm R) waiting in the wings if I don't feel factory SB/944 combo is doing the job.

H20SB
johnnyvw164
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What suspension you got on your beetle? Reply with quote

It doesn't take much. One of my favorite cars on this forum belongs to Glenn Ring. This is what he has in his car...pretty basic stuff:

Front Beam - VW (German), Gene Berg AVIS adjusters, Ghia spindles (adjustable, lowered 3")
Rear Trailing Arms - Sway-A-Way Adjustable Spring Plates
Antiroll Bars - Sway-A-Way 19mm front and 25mm rear, urethane mounts
Shocks Front - KYB GR2, low pressure gas, Opel GT (shorter for lowered beam)
Shocks Rear - KYB GR2, low pressure gas, stock length
Brakes Front - Volkswagen, Type 3 calipers (ATE) and Brembo rotors, Mintex pads, Aeroquip steel braid hose
Brakes Rear - Volkswagen, Ate drums, Mintex shoes
Wheels - Porsche/Pedrini, 914 Aluminum alloys 5.5x15
Tires - BF Goodrich g-Force Sport, 195/55VR-15 front and 205/60VR-15 rear

For my '69, I'm going along the same lines, except I'm putting in 26mm rear torsion bars from a Porsche 944. The car is on hold due to preparing our current house for sale, but after the move it will be a full court press.
54bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: What suspension you got on your beetle? Reply with quote

Hi Omarmillan

I agree with the list from Johnnyvw164. I have a 1969 Bug sedan and have a couple of different suggestions from his list.

Front Beam - VW (German) Mine is lowered with AVIS adjusters and narrowed by 2 inches. Provided a bit more room for the rubber.
Rear Trailing Arms - Sway-A-Way Adjustable Spring Plates, urethane bushings lubricated with grease suitable from said bushings.
Rear Stress Bar. A Kafer or Stress bar that ties the shock towers and frame horns together was eliminated wheel hop, adds some stiffness to the rear suspension
Transmission Mounts: Stock Rubber Mounts adding a Gene Berg Center Transmission mount. better support for the transmission in it's "stabilized" frame horns"

Shocks Front - I'm using lowered oil filled shocks. Tried many other shocks, this was the least harsh ride solution.
Shocks Rear - KYB GR2, low pressure gas, stock length, Be conservative, the ride can be harsh
Brakes Front - Volkswagen, Type 3 calipers (ATE), Stock rotors and pads, Aeroquip steel braid hose. Cost benefit directed my selection
Brakes Rear - Volkswagen, Ate drums, Mintex shoes.
Sway Bars: Sway-A-Way Lowered 19mm front and 25mm rear, urethane mounts. Lowered front bar to minimize clearance issues.
Wheels - Porsche/Fuchs, 914 Aluminum alloys 5.5x15. Great options on light forged aluminum wheels, pick the look you like.
There are lots of great tires, I'm happy with Coopers on the rear

Pick and choose the changes, be aware that the suspension will be completely different. Any handling improvement seems to come with a harsher ride. For some people this takes the pleasure out of a long ride. Keep your spouse in mind, mine isn't a big fan of the riding in the bug.

Above all, Have fun in the doing and the driving
Scott
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
frenchroast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: What suspension you got on your beetle? Reply with quote

Increasing your tire pressure to 28 front and 34 rear psi will make a big difference. A mild lowering looks good and gets the weight lower but won't give you as much bang for the buck.

Note: Higher psi, gas charged shocks, etc. can also change oversteer so remember if you go bombing into a cloverleaf, brake early then get back on the gas and stay on it. (Skip to 1:40 to see what happens when you let off the gas and the weight shifts forward: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loDjQb3DYV8)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnnyvw164
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: What suspension you got on your beetle? Reply with quote

FWIW, I'm going for a "rally" look so I won't be lowering, just adjusting the rear to get it level. But my experience with KYB gas-a-justs, and some other cheaper high pressure gas shocks, is that they stiffen the ride too much without added suspension control. Now Bilsteins are another matter...but I prefer Koni reds myself.
jarmchairpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What suspension you got on your beetle? Reply with quote

I have a 1200 Standard 1972
Stock febi bilstein shocks up front
and classic red koni shocks at the back that help maintain stock height due to original torsion bar sag the stock shocks are too soft.
If you have newish rear torsion bars at the back then stock shocks are fine.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What suspension you got on your beetle? Reply with quote

johnnyvw164 wrote:
It doesn't take much. One of my favorite cars on this forum belongs to Glenn Ring. This is what he has in his car...pretty basic stuff:

Front Beam - VW (German), Gene Berg AVIS adjusters, Ghia spindles (adjustable, lowered 3")
Rear Trailing Arms - Sway-A-Way Adjustable Spring Plates
Antiroll Bars - Sway-A-Way 19mm front and 25mm rear, urethane mounts
Shocks Front - KYB GR2, low pressure gas, Opel GT (shorter for lowered beam)
Shocks Rear - KYB GR2, low pressure gas, stock length
Brakes Front - Volkswagen, Type 3 calipers (ATE) and Brembo rotors, Mintex pads, Aeroquip steel braid hose
Brakes Rear - Volkswagen, Ate drums, Mintex shoes
Wheels - Porsche/Pedrini, 914 Aluminum alloys 5.5x15

For my '69, I'm going along the same lines, except I'm putting in 26mm rear torsion bars from a Porsche 944. The car is on hold due to preparing our current house for sale, but after the move it will be a full court press.

Car handles like it's on rails. And after owning it for 47 years the back comes loose predictably.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: