Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pertronix Flame Thrower Coil
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhubz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 7:35 am    Post subject: Pertronix Flame Thrower Coil Reply with quote

Is anyone familiar with these, I purchased a kit from CIP, came with carb/dist/coil/wires.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Is there a way to test the coil, is there something else I should be looking at? I was out driving yesterday, and it started to mis-fire and ended up stalling out. I towed it home. I checked for spark at the plug with an inline tester, no spark at the cylinder. I pulled the centre wire from the distributor and held it near ground, only got a very faint yellow spark. I replaced the Flame-Thrower coil with a Bosch coil I have, and the vehicle started right up. Is there something that would cause the flame-thrower coil to burn out? or Did I just get a bad unit, I probably have less than 20km on the engine since I put the parts in.

[/img]
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Pertronix Flame Thrower Coil Reply with quote

That's curious about the coil. I guess if your back up coil works good that's a result, probably nothing you did caused it to fail. I've been using that carburetor and that distributor with a bosch blue coil for a long time now without any problems.
sailtexas186548
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Pertronix Flame Thrower Coil Reply with quote

Coils just go bad sometimes, the quality of them has gone downhill since they these style aren’t used by OEMs anymore. Internal shorts, overheating, All kinds of stuff affects them. Leaving the key on and having power to the coil while the engines not running is not great for them either
larryducas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Pertronix Flame Thrower Coil Reply with quote

I bought a flame thrower coil, 3 ohm in my bay bus, type 1 motor.

I was running pertronix ignitor system.

The coil failed after 3 weeks of weekend driving. While it was working, it ran very hot.

The coil is completely open, no resistance anywhere. old bosch blue is back in.

I chalk it up to cheap chinese parts. not sure to trust pertronix anymore.
sshae
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Pertronix Flame Thrower Coil Reply with quote

For what it is worth, I installed the Pertronix coil and distributor on my buggy, but I could not get it to run without missing. I tried several different distributors, and for some reason they all seemed to work well at first, but within about 20 - 30 miles I would start experiencing missing again. I finally thought I had it, so I took a 150 mile trip... 75 miles from home it started missing again. The only thing I can think of was that maybe the coil was breaking down with heat (It was 95 degrees out that day). I ended up changing the distributor, wires, and coil over to Magnaspark and that fixed it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: