Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel build!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sailtexas186548
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel build! Reply with quote

I’ll say it again, this build is awesome! Keep it up dude

What is the used market price of a Mendeola or weddle trans like that? The used parts scene here in Texas is nonexistent so it’s hard to shop used
mnewman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel build! Reply with quote

sailtexas186548 wrote:
I’ll say it again, this build is awesome! Keep it up dude

What is the used market price of a Mendeola or weddle trans like that? The used parts scene here in Texas is nonexistent so it’s hard to shop used

Thanks! You see, thats the issue right now. There has been a backorder of parts for Mendeola due to the increase in people getting out of the house during all this BS. Used Mendeolas are being sold for what you can have a new one built for, It's rediculous. There has been a backlog for cases, ring gears and I am sure all other kinds of parts. I gave up looking for a used trans due to the gamble associated with someone telling you "it only has a couple trips on it". so you pick one up for 6500 - 7500 and then come to find out it needs 3500 in refresh.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mnewman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel build! Reply with quote

Update: Got the powder coat oven going last week, had some fun with the intake and valve covers on the J32A2.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Also purchased some 300/400 springs for the rear and some other shock thingy's to make it look cool.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Maddward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel build! Reply with quote

Looking great!
72BajaBen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel build! Reply with quote

Any updates on the build?

Build thread - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9762332
72BajaBen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel build! Reply with quote

mnewman wrote:

How long are the tubes on the uprights for the upper shock mount?

Maddward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel build! Reply with quote

I can answer that, mine are 13” long and I have 5” of clearance under the bulkhead at full bump. I finished installing a Nichols fab boxed lower kit on my car 2 months ago.
72BajaBen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel build! Reply with quote

Maddward wrote:
I can answer that, mine are 13” long and I have 5” of clearance under the bulkhead at full bump. I finished installing a Nichols fab boxed lower kit on my car 2 months ago.

Sweet. I have the kit and Im getting ready to do the install. Chads instructions say 22" and that didnt seem right to me. 13" sounds much better.

This is where Im at in the build.

Maddward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel build! Reply with quote

Yes 22" is a typo in his instructions.
pickuptrucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel build! Reply with quote

Looks like a side by side in that picture. I bet it will be rad can't wait to see how it works!
mnewman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel build! Reply with quote

Uggh, sometimes I do not receive notifications from SAMBA or they get deleted in Junk.

Glad Mr. Maddward was able to help with queries.

So, I have not posted in some time. I thought I had my Mendeola 2D in the bag but got a call from builder saying the pinion didn't show after it was ordered. Neutral

I am working on my own after header exhaust which needs to be completed along with trans to complete the cage.

Will post pics soon.

MN
Maddward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel build! Reply with quote

Bummer on the R&P.
Glad you're back!
Cjct86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel build! Reply with quote

How is the build going now? That front end is beautiful! I just bought my first bug and I'm looking at buying that exact same front suspension!
Maddward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel build! Reply with quote

I’d like to know also!???
mnewman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel build! Reply with quote

Hello, hope all is well out there.

Been busy with another BMW M54B30 build.

Long story short, is I am still waiting for my Mendeola! Can you believe that it's approaching a year since I ordered the trans? But hey, there's no supply chain problems and fuel is cheap right, nothing to see here...

I am eager to get back on the build, I am procrastinating, there are plenty of other items I need to jump on. So will be focusing on fabbing up pedal assemblies and brake lines to feed the calipers. Can also, get the wiring started.

I can assure you this is not a dead end build/thread. A lot has happen, I bought a Cessna 210 and flew it back from Boston Dec. 2021. Then one of my best friends passed away from Covid Pneumonia in Jan.

2022 starting off like a fart in church.

1962 Cessna 210 flying Baja Bug.

This keeps me motivated for the Baja Build.
Bajabug524
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel build! Reply with quote

Need some updates!! I am starting the same build. Nice job. Its good to see I am after the same drivetrain as you. Did I read right, you are using 5x5 arms not 3x3? Thanks
mnewman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel build! Reply with quote

Good Morning, yes I went with the 5x5 arms.
mnewman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel build! Reply with quote

UPDATE!!!

Finally got my freshly built, all new Mendeola 2D with DECO case and stretched gearset back from the builder. I had to extract a washer that went in to #4 cylinder while I had the engine back off the Mendeola mockup trans.

The best way I can describe this event is the "coin toss" game at the fair. It all happened in slow motion, the washer slid off the intake as I was mocking it up and bounced off one the intake runners then bounced off another intake runner and then bounced again finding it's home in the #4 runner and down in to the cylinder. Got the bore scope out and could see the washer, tried magnet, claw and compressed air to get it out when it originally happened. so this weekend, got the motor on the engine stand, flipped it upside down, forced some air in to the spark plug and it came out.

Squeaky clean, never used 2D

Dismounting engine to get the Mendeola mockup trans back out and replaced with new trans.

Trans mounted and axle-shafts greased and going in.

Confirming Stage III clutch splines are correct.

Time to get the J32A type S back in with new Flywheel, clutch and pressure plate.

Mounted, loctite, and torqued down.

Needless to say the build it back on. Next on my plate is to fab up the rear cage, mockup/mount shifter.

More to come soon, thanks for checking it out.

Mike
sailtexas186548
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel build! Reply with quote

Very nice. That forward facing center mount throttle body is cool, the engine will be really clean looking without a big snorkel and filter hanging off the back
Cjct86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel build! Reply with quote

Any updates? I have Chad's newest kit that makes the front end closer to 80" wide. I got the rear 5x5s as well and I'll start putting it all together in spring. I also have a subaru EJ20 turbocharged engine with the 5spd manual trans. I just need the trans kit to make it convert to work with the bug. I'll have to move the engine and trans back about 2inches I believe for the proper angle of the 930 CVs due to the 5x5s. That should be fun as they don't make an adjustable trans mount location to fit on the factory trans mount horns.

I have a running engine in the bug now that I'm going to be looking at selling. Along with the semi-auto trans that works as well. Still in the bug, I have to start it and get a running video of it before I try to sell it in spring.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: