Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Quiet CV shafts replaced, now they knock
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fatbastard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:47 pm    Post subject: Quiet CV shafts replaced, now they knock Reply with quote

My CV boots were torn so I brought the van in to a mechanic to inspect. They called and said the shafts and joints needed to be replaced. I said ok. There was no knocking or vibration prior to changing. I picked up the van, and now there is a loud knocking from the rear passenger side during right turns. The invoice noted this and said they guessed previous play in the shaft affected the cv joint cup, but they would have to tear apart the differential to be sure. Has anyone heard of this? I couldn’t get a straight answer about how they came to the conclusion the shafts and joints needed replacement other than the boots were torn. I asked for the old parts back and they couldn’t have been inspected as all the old grease was in them. Is it possible my quality German CV shafts were fine and the Chinese replacements are defective? Considering cleaning and reinstalling my old parts, but wanted to see if the mechanic’s explanation seems feasible before undertaking the job.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Quiet CV shafts replaced, now they knock Reply with quote

They installed subpar parts. Your CV flange is easily visible for inspection when they replaced the axle assembly. The differential is inside the tranny, not 2 separate units like American cars.
You can use this encounter with them as a gauge for future business with them.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Quiet CV shafts replaced, now they knock Reply with quote

Sounds like they don't know shit. Run away....
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Quiet CV shafts replaced, now they knock Reply with quote

First, check that the CV bolts are all torqued correctly. Perhaps they simply loosened. Second, clean, inspect, and repack your original joints and install them. Search CV boots on this forum to pick ones that will last. Hopefully they labeled them so you can swap sides.

They swapped in new axles because it’s quick and easy. In many cases this might be fine but aftermarket Vanagon parts can be total crap.
Chestercopperpot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Quiet CV shafts replaced, now they knock Reply with quote

Your old units, if oem, are superior to new unknown units.

I would rebuild your old ones -get new grease, bolts, schnorr washers and rockford boots.

Research the process its not hard at all, essentially you disassemble, inspect, and reassemble, lube, install. Just need to keep the balls orientated to where they come from on reassembly.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Quiet CV shafts replaced, now they knock Reply with quote

Go back to the shop and get your axles they took out!
Do it NOW before trash pick up day.

You will be wise to keep the originals and simply put new boots on them.

Most likely they picked up cheap off shore complete axle shafts which are inferior to the ones they removed.

Make sure the joints are bolted tightly in place at both ends.
If they are have them reinstall your original axles and then go find a shop willing to rebuild the originals ....... or do it yourself.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Quiet CV shafts replaced, now they knock Reply with quote

Reading comprehension Rolling Eyes

fatbastard wrote:
I asked for the old parts back and they couldn’t have been inspected as all the old grease was in them.

djkeev wrote:

Dave
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Quiet CV shafts replaced, now they knock Reply with quote

Maybe the new CVs needed to be lubed before they were installed and this step got skipped?

This is just one more thing you need to learn to do yourself if you are going to own a 30+ year old vehicle.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: Quiet CV shafts replaced, now they knock Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
Reading comprehension Rolling Eyes

fatbastard wrote:
I asked for the old parts back and they couldn’t have been inspected as all the old grease was in them.

djkeev wrote:

Dave

Where does this say the OP actually has the old axles?
They are full of grease .......
OP asked for them ......
Did OP actually take them after seeing the filth?
Asking for and actually having are two different things.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: Quiet CV shafts replaced, now they knock Reply with quote

to quote the late Terence Mckenna. Re the shop you used :They dont know shit from shinola.

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
mtnhome Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Quiet CV shafts replaced, now they knock Reply with quote

Is your van an automatic? In my search for axles for a Subarugears install, I found a parts van with an auto trans. Pulled the drivers side axle off and found it was a manual trans axle, too long. It was hard to get off and I wondered why it was so tight when I was trying to pull it.
Wouldn't be surprised if the shop didn't know the difference.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Quiet CV shafts replaced, now they knock Reply with quote

They also asked about cleaning and reinstalling the old parts, not hard to conclude that they are on hand as opposed to being in the trash bin as you assume.
djkeev wrote:
Where does this say the OP actually has the old axles?
They are full of grease .......
OP asked for them ......
Did OP actually take them after seeing the filth?
Asking for and actually having are two different things.

Dave
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Quiet CV shafts replaced, now they knock Reply with quote

is your van lifted any? an 85 maybe or with lift springs?

you may need to have the CV joints 'Phased' or "clocked" to each other.
this is very much not known outside the off road crowd.. street cars don't have the same articulation issues.

by aligning (phasing or clocking) the joints you then allow the inner and outer to complement each other through their full range of motion

out of phase joints could also shuck side/side creating a whump whump or tuk tuk type noise similar to a CV nak, nak, nak, sound.

or you could have CV joints that weren't installed properly where the inner cage isn't in the correct relationship to the outer cage.. that will break in very short order.

or you could have a cheap and out of spec made replacement cv joint.

Clocking/phasing joints on the axle
https://californiaperformance.com/technical-tips/cv-clocking/
https://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=131978

Link

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fatbastard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Quiet CV shafts replaced, now they knock Reply with quote

Hi all, thank you so much for your collective thoughts on this!

First, to clarify, I did retrieve my old Lobro shafts with the joints. The replacement shafts are Surtrak vw 8063 and 8052. I think these would be the right part numbers for my van, which is a 91 Westphalia automatic.

I plan to clean the old parts to see if they are still good, which is what I thought the shop would have done before replacing them. They wouldn’t come out and say it, but it sounded like their policy is to replace shafts if the boot is torn. I don’t know enough to judge whether that is a fair practice for a shop, given labor rates, relatively cheap cost of parts, etc., but I would have like to have been given the option of reusing the likely higher quality old parts if they were still good. As I said, they weren’t knocking and the new ones are.

I fully agree with the comment that this is the sort of stuff you need to be able to do yourself on these vans. For the last 15 years, my husband did this work, but he passed away recently and now I’m trying to figure out what has been done through VanCafe and other receipts. He is surely looking down and wondering why I entrusted our van to mechanics, but at some point, you trust that people portraying themselves as vanagon experts will steer you in the right direction. Because I’m not equipped to make van maintenance my new hobby, I was getting ready to sell the van (a very hard decision). Now it has a knocking sound it didn’t have before I paid $1100 for the service.

Anyhow, enough complaining.

The van does have an inch or two lift as we put on bigger wheels/tires. As someone mentioned, could this be enough to cause the new parts to not sit properly in place? If clicking was required, I’m sure we did that. My husband researched everything before doing it and he was a skilled mechanic.

Thanks again for all the help! I might post pictures of the cleaned up lobro parts if I’m not sure whether to reuse them.
fatbastard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Quiet CV shafts replaced, now they knock Reply with quote

* clocking, not clicking
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Quiet CV shafts replaced, now they knock Reply with quote

Lift from changing tire size does not change CV angles.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Quiet CV shafts replaced, now they knock Reply with quote

Take a year or two before you sell. A well maintained T3 is hard to find and even harder in the land of the midnight sun.

If you just want to tool around town , 5000 miles in 2 years, stick with it.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Quiet CV shafts replaced, now they knock Reply with quote

Fatbastard, so sorry for your loss.

Smart move grabbing the old axles!

Cleaning and reusing axle joints isn't at all difficult...... it IS MESSY!

Maybe let us know what part of Alaska you are in?
It is a BIG place as you know.
We have many members up there and I'm sure some would be willing to help you set things right and make this transition a tad easier for you.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Quiet CV shafts replaced, now they knock Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Fatbastard, so sorry for your loss.

Smart move grabbing the old axles!

X2

very sorry for your loss.

we had a rash of aftermarket axles at the dealer i worked at where they were so bad, we'd literally do donuts for 10 mins until they 'freed up' and stopped making noise

total junk. thanks bean counters....

anyway your automatic axles are specific but i would wary of the aftermarket ones.

in a shop setting, no one wants to clean/re-pack/re-boot them due to time and mess and usually people think new is better. i'd be willing to bet that doing a service to your old axles will be a good investment.

shame on the shop for cutting the van loose like that. i'd throw the new axles thru their front window

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
fatbastard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Quiet CV shafts replaced, now they knock Reply with quote

Thank you for the kind words and condolences. I am in Anchorage. I’ll give it a go myself. YouTube videos can be really helpful as long as the source is considered. That said, if someone local has done this before, I wouldn’t say no to a second set of eyes and advice based on experience.

As to waiting a few years to sell, it’s been two. I drove up the Cassiar, but haven’t used it much since. Better to keep moving parts moving and allow someone else to enjoy it as much as we did.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: