Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Kindness does still exist!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: Kindness does still exist! Reply with quote

bigdog1962 wrote:
sb001 wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:
Every week, I buy & deliver a couple of pizzas to the local police precinct. I took them every night when the city was on mandatory curfew due to the “peaceful protesting assholes”.

I guess kindness only goes so far

^^^^^ Laughing Laughing Laughing

I had plenty of donations for them too, they would have been delivered quite a bit faster though. :fist:

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Emily's Owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Kindness does still exist! Reply with quote

Chivalry and kindness definitely still exists in the young. I was at Fred Meyer (Kroger to you out of area folks) and watched a Hispanic teenage boy walk out of one of the non-automatic doors and start to head down the sidewalk, all of the sudden he spins around and quickly walks back to open the door for an elderly woman loaded down with groceries who was about to struggle with the door - made my heart happy, and most likely made his Abuela proud.

ITMC - OG Den Mother

What (and I cannot stress this enough) The Actual Fuck?!

1974 Transporter
2023 Subaru Outback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:10 am    Post subject: Re: Kindness does still exist! Reply with quote

Emily's Owner, I just noticed this in your signature and couldn't resist finishing it! I hope you will forgive me...

Askhole: noun * A person who constantly asks for your advice, yet always does the complete opposite of what you told them to do. (common name: Son or Daughter.)
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:32 am    Post subject: Re: Kindness does still exist! Reply with quote

I was going to suggest maskhole... Wink

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:00 am    Post subject: Re: Kindness does still exist! Reply with quote

Yesterday I met a guy who was in the next spot at the beach that I was surfing at. We had just realized we were surfing together earlier in the day and had a chat about my board in comparison to his board. Then I noticed I must have broken one of my fins completely off on my last ride. I said I'd stop at the surf shop a block away but he said he had a spare fin at home which fit perfectly and it was just a few miles from my place. Excellent guy who also gave me great surfing tips.

I reflected on the previous day and how I gave a young gas attendant a $10.00 tip for pumping my gas. We had chatted about his bicycle ride of 8 miles for an appointment and how he was saving up for a car.

Always do good things for others.
www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Kindness does still exist! Reply with quote

A friend of mine is always posting worthy local Go Fund Me's. He is a bar tender by night and is always passing the hat IRL or virtually. He usually exceedes the goal in no time or in a couple of days. He goes the extra mile for these folks and it is a few buck a few times a month to his worthy causes that are mostly helping kids. He really make a difference.

Twice in the last few years we donated for plane tickets to get him from Detroit to California. He went out for 2 week stints to make and deliver food to the fire crews fighting the wild fires. We kept loading funds to their account at the wholesalers and fed a shit ton of hungry folks. They would do simple bags to go and sit down meals for those on break from their portable kitchen at base camps.

Jimmy Doom is the Hype Man you want behind your campagin.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Emily's Owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Kindness does still exist! Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Emily's Owner, I just noticed this in your signature and couldn't resist finishing it! I hope you will forgive me...

Askhole: noun * A person who constantly asks for your advice, yet always does the complete opposite of what you told them to do. (common name: Son or Daughter.)

Laughing I have one of each.

ITMC - OG Den Mother

What (and I cannot stress this enough) The Actual Fuck?!

1974 Transporter
2023 Subaru Outback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:35 am    Post subject: Re: Kindness does still exist! Reply with quote

Emily's Owner wrote:
oprn wrote:

Laughing I have one of each.

I was blessed with six of the variety whose brains turn on at 12, rather than 25.

Laughing
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Kindness does still exist! Reply with quote

I help a buddy of mine run his Self Serve car wash, pretty basic stuff really like broken lines and stuck coin acceptors. We have Homeless that come and try and stay on the property that we quickly shoo out. Sometimes it takes the Po Po to get them to move on.

Part of the job is emptying the coin bins, in the bins we get our tokens, quarters and $1.00 pieces (Susan B 's and Saq..) They are larger than quarters or tokens and jam the changer so we pull them and put them in our pocket and spend them. I've been rolling them and saving them and then convert them into Amazon funds.

I had a gallon coolant jug cut open that was full of rolled coins ($25.00) per roll. Christmas day I grabbed the bottle and and my youngest son (22) and we went out in search of Homeless and drove to the areas where they hang out. We walked up and introduced ourselves and asked how many people were there and if they all came out or whoever came out we were spreading Christmas cheer. At that in about 1.5 hrs we gave away about $1100.00 in coins.

The comments were interesting, from (No we don't take handout to no we do not want to work to out and out thanks that they had $20.00 left to their name) I have a local store near them that I stop in for something and asked them if they had an influx of $1.00 coins and the guy was like yea he couldn't figure it out.

I usually give homeless the bums rush, I read a book earlier this year that put a face to these people ( Leave out the tragic parts ). Our son that is normally shy and reclusive was had a big ol grin on his face and actually interacting with the homeless.

I will go back to my normal life of not giving them anything, but on this day I think they really appreciated it.
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Kindness does still exist! Reply with quote

Some of my favorites things:

Going through the ATMl wrapping the ATM money with a $1 bill to conceal and making the donation when the local volunteer fire department is doing a "boot drive" (they stand with the bunker gear boots on the sidewalks to gather donations from people as they drive down the street).

Making 'cold weather kits' with grocery bags for the homeless with the aluminim blankets, crackers, hand warmers, socks, knit hats, gloves. Then stuffing them in the backpack and letting the homeless know that they aren't invisible and I wanted them to stay warm.

Getting my auto 'jumper box' out to jumpstart a dead battery for random strangers.

My little envelope of McD's, Wendys, and gas gift cards I have to freely give to those who are in need.

Putting the 4-way flashers on and pulling my car off so I can push a disabled vehicle into the nearest parking lot. Always makes me happy to see that once I start pushing, more and more people come over and push until it's hardly any weight at all for all of us to push (even up hill).

"Be excellent to each other." -Bill & Ted
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Kindness does still exist! Reply with quote

Quote:
Putting the 4-way flashers on and pulling my car off so I can push a disabled vehicle into the nearest parking lot. Always makes me happy to see that once I start pushing, more and more people come over and push until it's hardly any weight at all for all of us to push (even up hill

^^ This

Once one person stops the collective good gene is expressed and many more stop to help too.
jinx758
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Kindness does still exist! Reply with quote

Totally forgot to update this ...

a).
About 2wks before X_mas I took fifteen $20 out of the bank account. I drove around to many bus stops. I found several people in uniforms - Taco Cabana, Whataburger, Wendy's, etc. I gave them a $20.

I actually respect people that use the city bus system to get to & from work. I think it takes discipline to ride the bus. Being mindful of schedules, the walk time to the stop, & transfers if needed.
I have it easy - I walk out to my vehicle, get in, turn the key, & go.

b).
Last weekend I was in line to pay for our tex-mex breakfast. I noticed 3 elderly people having their meal. I nodded to the wife & she gave me a thumbs up. I "picked up" their table. On the way out I told them I had payed for their meals. The look of surprise & joy on their faces was worth it. That cost me $38 with tip instead of $9 for just ours.
Big deal ... it's only money & it made all of our day.

Stay safe ... jinx

It's not unlike the same difference

You can't push a rope

VALVES (cold)
CARB (fully warmed engine)

SCRAPE ALL GROUNDS

My Craigslist rescued 100 footer :
1971 Standard Bug
1776cc dual port
034 distributor
38mm EGAS Carburetor
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Kindness does still exist! Reply with quote

I love this. For those of us who can walk, talk eat on our own and have money in our pockets think about doing more. Even if it is just a larger tip, look around.

Do good things for others.

jinx758 wrote:
Totally forgot to update this ...

a).
About 2wks before X_mas I took fifteen $20 out of the bank account. I drove around to many bus stops. I found several people in uniforms - Taco Cabana, Whataburger, Wendy's, etc. I gave them a $20.

I actually respect people that use the city bus system to get to & from work. I think it takes discipline to ride the bus. Being mindful of schedules, the walk time to the stop, & transfers if needed.
I have it easy - I walk out to my vehicle, get in, turn the key, & go.

b).
Last weekend I was in line to pay for our tex-mex breakfast. I noticed 3 elderly people having their meal. I nodded to the wife & she gave me a thumbs up. I "picked up" their table. On the way out I told them I had payed for their meals. The look of surprise & joy on their faces was worth it. That cost me $38 with tip instead of $9 for just ours.
Big deal ... it's only money & it made all of our day.

Stay safe ... jinx

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Kindness does still exist! Reply with quote

We have a bunch of medical residents in our building from
Points South. I’ve got the XC70 down on Island so I’m shuttling them to the Hospital at 0700 and 1900

Hopefully will get on of them when my abused body vapor locks
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Kindness does still exist! Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Quote:
Putting the 4-way flashers on and pulling my car off so I can push a disabled vehicle into the nearest parking lot. Always makes me happy to see that once I start pushing, more and more people come over and push until it's hardly any weight at all for all of us to push (even up hill

^^ This

Once one person stops the collective good gene is expressed and many more stop to help too.

A couple of weeks ago, while traveling home from HD with some drywall and a sheet of plywood underneath, my front roof rack let go and launched skyward, but not enough to completely leave the roof of the car. Broke every board but the ply, though.

I pulled over and the guy in the truck immediately behind me did the same. He then proceeded to help me stabilize the load so I could reattach the rack. Another man then came over to help, as well.

I am glad I was on the receiving end for a change. Wait, that doesn't sound right. Rather, I was glad that there was help when I needed it. I help people out as often as I can. It's a good feeling both ways.
Iowa Mark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Kindness does still exist! Reply with quote

For years I was a member of the local volunteer fire department as an EMT. About every 3 to 4 months we would hold a pancake feed for new equipment and other expenses. We decided to go on a strictly donation basis for the breakfasts one year and the money collected instantly doubled. We also had to stop accepting freel pork sausage donations from the area farmers when the third freezer was full and we couldn't cook it faster than it was getting delivered. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: Kindness does still exist! Reply with quote

Went to a beautiful piano violin cello concert last night with Mr Ax, Ma, and Kovakilis

At the beginning, the announced the would open with the Ukraine national song

The entire audience just stood, en masse.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:54 am    Post subject: Re: Kindness does still exist! Reply with quote

My daughter decided her collection of six years of prom dresses should be rehomed. Since she is overseas, I had to do the task with her via FaceTime.

I was a complete hot mess.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Kindness does still exist! Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:
Every week, I buy & deliver a couple of pizzas to the local police precinct. I took them every night when the city was on mandatory curfew due to the “peaceful protesting assholes”.

I guess kindness only goes so far

It is the action that counts. Not the words. I had a sergeant that chewed my ass all the time. But one time, I was out long on a job and he had my lunch brought up to me. Even lions can do some kind things sometimes.

I am not a glory-hunter. I save people's lives from certain death all the time, and I never take credit for them. I don't even look for thank you. But I will always hear them say...'thanks for coming so fast'.

I have helped people on the road..pregnant women, starving children, cold in middle of winter ..who have been living in their cars coz they no money for gas, a young girl probably underage I helped get home, I tell my wife all about these people I meet when I make my trips to pick up things.

There was once a time - I was the one that needed the help bad. We were in traffic..barely crawling... coming down from CT..it was uphill and something fell off my trailer. It was the damn grinder..maybe 1000 lbs? My thought was to leave it by the side of road where it lay.... some 20 people jumped out to help load it back on the trailer....I cried from gratitude.

I told my wife what happened..and she said - well you have helped so many so long..it was my turn to get help.

I have many good stories more than the bad ones. You just try to be good.

But then again...one time someone stopped for a 'broken down' car and the asshole robbed him who stopped. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Kindness does still exist! Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:

you spend like $80 a month on pizza for you local police ? can't imagine that much pizza is great for their physiques . do you like just drop it off or hang around hoping to get police dirt or deputized ?lol

I make a pie or some cookies in the winter for the guys that work at the town transfer station (aka the DUMP - apparently can't call it that anymore wtf). Can't imagine going to a police station around here with pizza every week they would think i'm strange but cop culture obviously varies regionally.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: