Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

80mm cylinders not seating on WW Okrasa heads
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:25 am    Post subject: 80mm cylinders not seating on WW Okrasa heads Reply with quote

This is a new one for me.
I recently swapped out my original Okrasa heads, due to a crack, with the Wolfsburgwest clones and my cylinders are not seating on the combustion chamber surface. Instead it appears the top fins are seating on the pad of the heads. I am using big bore AA cylinders. Anyone else experience this?

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 80mm cylinders not seating on WW Okrasa heads Reply with quote

trim something!! Shocked Wink
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 80mm cylinders not seating on WW Okrasa heads Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
trim something!! Shocked Wink

That’s the plan, I’m just wondering if this is a common issue or I just am My Lucky.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: 80mm cylinders not seating on WW Okrasa heads Reply with quote

Joe Ruiz built my 80x69.5 w/ WW heads/AA P&C's, and photos don't indicate that was an issue (looks like all of the fins are still present). I don't think the base of the heads were decked either. When your heads were opened up to accommodate the 80mm cylinder, did they also bore deeper into the head to raise compression?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Ted2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: 80mm cylinders not seating on WW Okrasa heads Reply with quote

There was an article in Hot VWs a while back by John Chabot (sp?). It mentions removing the top cooling fin.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: 80mm cylinders not seating on WW Okrasa heads Reply with quote

PeteSC wrote:
Joe Ruiz built my 80x69.5 w/ WW heads/AA P&C's, and photos don't indicate that was an issue (looks like all of the fins are still present). I don't think the base of the heads were decked either. When your heads were opened up to accommodate the 80mm cylinder, did they also bore deeper into the head to raise compression?

No he just widened them.
I’ll have to see if I can find the Hot VWs article, it it would be good to know for future reference for others building a similar engine. It sucks putting something together and then it doesn’t work because of a fitting issue.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 80mm cylinders not seating on WW Okrasa heads Reply with quote

July and August '15 HVWs
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 80mm cylinders not seating on WW Okrasa heads Reply with quote

fl59bug wrote:
July and August '15 HVWs

Thanks!

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Mr. Okrasa Premium Member
Original Old Speed

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 80mm cylinders not seating on WW Okrasa heads Reply with quote

The FIRST time I opened up a set of W.West 36hp dual port heads for AA 80mm P/C's, the "shoulder" of the liner was really close to hitting the fin? I didn't cut any material off the sealing surface but thought to myself that I should make the counter bore in the head a little bit larger and about .035" deep just in case...

What I also noticed is the liners didn't have a consistent shoulder? Some were "normal" an other cyls. were really big. If you look at the photo, you will note that some material was taken off the counter bore, horizontal across the head but only enough for cyl. fin clearance. Some people fly cut across the whole bottom of the fin and actually weaken the fin by making them thinner.

Another "issue" that I read on another Samba thread is the valve job from manufacture was not good and there were "sealing" problems. So I checked myself and sure enough, when I touched the valve seats with fine stone, the valves were only contacting about 80% of the seat! So now when I build any engine with the W.West heads, they automatically get a 3 angle valve job.

Muchas Garcias! Laughing

See my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/okrasa/

1959 VW Karmann Ghia Coupe / Bamboo-Green / Denzel 1300cc / OG. owner, paint Wink

Denzel engine running. See this link: https://youtu.be/DgUlsQDTXTE

VW www.Okrasa.com
356 www.PreA356.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 80mm cylinders not seating on WW Okrasa heads Reply with quote

Thanks Joe for the information. I’ll relay it to my machinist when I take the heads in.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
chris fryer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 80mm cylinders not seating on WW Okrasa heads Reply with quote

I had this exact problem, I assumed it was because I had the heads machined for 80mm cylinders and the machine shop went a bit deep.

I got around it by skimming about 0.040" from the cylinder skirt.

1965 Porsche 912/6 https://porscheforum.com.au/topic/3826-australian-delivered-1965-912-restoration
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. Okrasa Premium Member
Original Old Speed

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 80mm cylinders not seating on WW Okrasa heads Reply with quote

Not to "hijack" this thread but another important "trim" I feel is necessary when installing AA VW 80mm P/C's is the area circled in red. The 10mm nut/washer always rides/rubs against the cylinder and won't allow to sit correctly! I trim the cylinder just enough so when I rotate the cyl. in the bore, it does not come in contact with nut/washer AND.......I also trim down 2 additional fins. Reason: If you don't do this, trying to fit the cylinder head tin is going to be next to impossible. For those of you who tried, you know what I'm talking about. The cyl. head tin has a "dip" in this area to go under and clear the nut/washer. Cheers Laughing

See my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/okrasa/

1959 VW Karmann Ghia Coupe / Bamboo-Green / Denzel 1300cc / OG. owner, paint Wink

Denzel engine running. See this link: https://youtu.be/DgUlsQDTXTE

VW www.Okrasa.com
356 www.PreA356.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 80mm cylinders not seating on WW Okrasa heads Reply with quote

Mr. Okrasa wrote:
Not to "hijack" this thread but another important "trim" I feel is necessary when installing AA VW 80mm P/C's is the area circled in red. The 10mm nut/washer always rides/rubs against the cylinder and won't allow to sit correctly! I trim the cylinder just enough so when I rotate the cyl. in the bore, it does not come in contact with nut/washer AND.......I also trim down 2 additional fins. Reason: If you don't do this, trying to fit the cylinder head tin is going to be next to impossible. For those of you who tried, you know what I'm talking about. The cyl. head tin has a "dip" in this area to go under and clear the nut/washer. Cheers Laughing

Yep.
That happened, too.
I hope anyone who goes this route sees this thread otherwise they’re going to be a bit disappointed with their compression!
In my case I had the machinist cut the heads to the barrels would seal.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
RichardinNZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:40 am    Post subject: Re: 80mm cylinders not seating on WW Okrasa heads Reply with quote

I had a similar issue as the original poster with my 2mm fly cut stock heads and stock barrels. I ended up modifying the heads as per Mr Okrasa's photos, but as I wasn't able to get the heads to a machine shop I achieved a similar result with my Dremmel.
My Car https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1750253
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: