Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Getting in and out of a Ghia after hip replacement
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Legacy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: thoughts about getting in and out of a Ghia after hip replacemen Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:
Legacy wrote:
At 6'4" and around 280 lbs I've always had some difficulty getting in and out of my wife's 69 Karmann Ghia. I had a complete right side hip replacement just over a year ago. After the hip replacement things didn't get any worse getting in and out of her car. I just place my backside in the seat first and then swing in my legs. Getting out is just the reversal of getting in.

I went for therapy after the surgery and it was helpful. The only restricting I have after the hip replacement is I'm not allowed to cross my right leg over my left leg.

Thank you, your reply is encouraging. I'll make it work as well. Did you have the Anterior procedure, from the front? It involves no cutting of muscle. The surgeon doing mine has done all 3 methods through out his career but now only does anterior. Has a great success rate with much a faster recovery.

Didn't have the Anterior procedure. My surgeon checked the amount of flexibility in my old hip and said he couldn't do the Anterior procedure because he couldn't rotate my old hip enough to allow frontal (or rear) access, so I had to have the more intrusive procedure where the incision is on the side and he had to cut thru the muscle. End result is the same as the Anterior procedure, just takes longer to get to full recovery.

Good luck and hang in there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: thoughts about getting in and out of a Ghia after hip replacemen Reply with quote

though no experience with hip issues or replacement i have a manager at one of my accounts in his late 50s who got dual hip replacements i think about 6 months apart and he said he wished he had done it years ago as he was in pain for years. Now he is pain free!
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: thoughts about getting in and out of a Ghia after hip replacemen Reply with quote

Legacy wrote:
Marcdeb wrote:
Legacy wrote:
At 6'4" and around 280 lbs I've always had some difficulty getting in and out of my wife's 69 Karmann Ghia. I had a complete right side hip replacement just over a year ago. After the hip replacement things didn't get any worse getting in and out of her car. I just place my backside in the seat first and then swing in my legs. Getting out is just the reversal of getting in.

I went for therapy after the surgery and it was helpful. The only restricting I have after the hip replacement is I'm not allowed to cross my right leg over my left leg.

Thank you, your reply is encouraging. I'll make it work as well. Did you have the Anterior procedure, from the front? It involves no cutting of muscle. The surgeon doing mine has done all 3 methods through out his career but now only does anterior. Has a great success rate with much a faster recovery.

Didn't have the Anterior procedure. My surgeon checked the amount of flexibility in my old hip and said he couldn't do the Anterior procedure because he couldn't rotate my old hip enough to allow frontal (or rear) access, so I had to have the more intrusive procedure where the incision is on the side and he had to cut thru the muscle. End result is the same as the Anterior procedure, just takes longer to get to full recovery.

Good luck and hang in there.

Yes, they say the primary difference with the anterior is a much quicker recovery. So I'm hopeful that by spring, I'll be getting in and out of the Ghia like I'm 25 again! Shocked

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: thoughts about getting in and out of a Ghia after hip replacemen Reply with quote

obus wrote:
though no experience with hip issues or replacement i have a manager at one of my accounts in his late 50s who got dual hip replacements i think about 6 months apart and he said he wished he had done it years ago as he was in pain for years. Now he is pain free!

My Dr put me in touch with a 55 year old construction worker who gave me a similar story. He's 4 years post surgery and he said he never even thinks about his hip.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: thoughts about getting in and out of a Ghia after hip replacemen Reply with quote

I injured my back on the squat rack 2 decades ago and I still have the herniated disk to show for it. When my '66 KG vert was first delivered, sadly, it was one one of my many "bad back" days and I couldn't even get in it to drive it away from the auto transport truck. Fortunately, I had a buddy with me who could.

Then, I bought a '55 Porsche Pre-A coupe with a 420mm steering wheel rather than a 400mm steering wheel. On "good" back days, I still have to be a contortionist to get into it. But once I'm in, I'm good. And if anyone sees me trying to get in or out, I'm sure they are saying "WTF??"

But where there's a will, there's a way! A hip replacement should heal and mobility should improve with the proper therapy and continued exercise. Plus, it doesn't hurt to have a car as a great motivator to improve ambulation and limberness Cool

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
McFunzeepants
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: thoughts about getting in and out of a Ghia after hip replacemen Reply with quote

Depending on which procedure you get (Anterior or Posterior approach). You will have restrictions on how you can move that leg for 5-6 weeks post surgery. Your MD may want some imagining at that point to make sure everything is healed correctly prior to releasing you from precautions.

With the Posterior approach you will not be allowed to flex your hip past 90 degrees (as well as keeping your toes pointed outward (no Int. Rotation) and your knees apart (no Adduction)) this will limit your ability to get into or out of a Ghia safely.

It's the tight muscles that keep your hip joint together; once the surgeon gets in there and loosens the muscles to access your femoral head the risk of displacement increases. By following the precautions, -mechanically the joint will stay together and not be forced apart by your movement.

The Anterior approach has precautions as well, (i.e. limit hip extension, no ext. rotation), but they are much more difficult to break, and you can get into / out of a Ghia with a lot less risk.

Hopefully the Anterior approach is available to you.

The MD will also prescribe Occupational / Physical Therapy for you. Depending on your needs these therapists may come to your home (Home Health) and if so, and as a part of therapy,- ask them to show you how to safely get into and out of your car. Its part of their job to assess car transfers.
They will be the best resource for you.
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: thoughts about getting in and out of a Ghia after hip replacemen Reply with quote

McFunzeepants wrote:
Depending on which procedure you get (Anterior or Posterior approach). You will have restrictions on how you can move that leg for 5-6 weeks post surgery. Your MD may want some imagining at that point to make sure everything is healed correctly prior to releasing you from precautions.

With the Posterior approach you will not be allowed to flex your hip past 90 degrees (as well as keeping your toes pointed outward (no Int. Rotation) and your knees apart (no Adduction)) this will limit your ability to get into or out of a Ghia safely.

It's the tight muscles that keep your hip joint together; once the surgeon gets in there and loosens the muscles to access your femoral head the risk of displacement increases. By following the precautions, -mechanically the joint will stay together and not be forced apart by your movement.

The Anterior approach has precautions as well, (i.e. limit hip extension, no ext. rotation), but they are much more difficult to break, and you can get into / out of a Ghia with a lot less risk.

Hopefully the Anterior approach is available to you.

The MD will also prescribe Occupational / Physical Therapy for you. Depending on your needs these therapists may come to your home (Home Health) and if so, and as a part of therapy,- ask them to show you how to safely get into and out of your car. Its part of their job to assess car transfers.
They will be the best resource for you.

You are highly versed on this subject. You must work in the medical field. Yes, I'm going to have the anterior approach. My MD has a long history with this procedure and is considered one of the best so I feel I'm in good hands. And yes, I'll have at home PT.

Thank you for all that information. The suggestion to have the physical therapist show me how to get in and out of the Ghia is a great idea. I had not thought of that. I will ask for sure.

Thank you for all your advice. This is very helpful.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: thoughts about getting in and out of a Ghia after hip replacemen Reply with quote

Best of luck on the surgery Marc. I just had a cardiac ablation for Afib a bit over a week ago. All this talk of medical procedures sounds like the Porsche 356 Registry forum! Guess we Ghia guys are getting old.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: thoughts about getting in and out of a Ghia after hip replacemen Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
Best of luck on the surgery Marc. I just had a cardiac ablation for Afib a bit over a week ago. All this talk of medical procedures sounds like the Porsche 356 Registry forum! Guess we Ghia guys are getting old.

Thanks, Sorry to hear about your cardiac situation. Hope it went well. I just turned 60. I don't think of myself as old but physically, not so good. Arthritis and joint problems run in my family. I had surgery on the hip 3 yrs ago to avoid replacement, but it didn't work. I switched to a new (and much better) Dr and he said the first surgery only made things worse.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Last edited by Marcdeb on Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
56cpe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: thoughts about getting in and out of a Ghia after hip replacemen Reply with quote

I can talk with some degree of certainty about this. I have had 3 Hip replacements - no not Jake the Peg, One came loose after 8 months and had to be replaced again. I have also had the Right knee replaced. I am worth more dead than alive with the amount of Titanium in me. And what do I do for a living - I restore KGs for other people. The difficulty in getting in and out, especially in Parking areas is if you cannot open the door fully - even with the Bum first and swivel technique - If you cannot lift and bend your knees enough it can be difficult, always remember to swivel as I have heard stories of Hips popping out.
My daily drive is a 2005 KG also known as an Audi TT - same problem getting in and out. I don't expect to change anything as I have a 56 Coupe to build for myself and I just love these Cars. Just make sure after the Op to stay fit and bendy
Regards Jerry
KGCOA
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: thoughts about getting in and out of a Ghia after hip replacemen Reply with quote

I had a hip replacement 15 years ago when I was 40. It gave me my life back. I'm a big guy and have driven many SMALL cars since then and never had an issue because of my hip. A Ghia is super easy to get in and out of. Have you ever driven a Marco's? Picture a half scale 240Z.

Now, the leg that was driven over by a Tundra, that's another issue, but I still managed to get in and out of my 30" wide top loader Bonneville racer and fully caged Bug.

Good luck with your surgery, do your exercises. All will be good.

brad
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: thoughts about getting in and out of a Ghia after hip replacemen Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
I had a hip replacement 15 years ago when I was 40. It gave me my life back. I'm a big guy and have driven many SMALL cars since then and never had an issue because of my hip. A Ghia is super easy to get in and out of. Have you ever driven a Marco's? Picture a half scale 240Z.

Now, the leg that was driven over by a Tundra, that's another issue, but I still managed to get in and out of my 30" wide top loader Bonneville racer and fully caged Bug.

Good luck with your surgery, do your exercises. All will be good.

brad

Thank you. Glad to hear of your encouraging personal experience getting in and out of small cars after a hip replacement. This gives my piece of mind. 40 is very young for a hip replacement! Shocked Glad you had such a positive outcome.

I have never heard of a Marcos. I looked it up and read the history on this make. Quite a rare car.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: thoughts about getting in and out of a Ghia after hip replacemen Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:

I have never heard of a Marcos. I looked it up and read the history on this make. Quite a rare car.

Very well know sports car of the '60s here in the UK. I have good friends here who are early owners, in fact one has a 1965 Marcos prototype.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: thoughts about getting in and out of a Ghia after hip replacemen Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
Marcdeb wrote:

Very well know sports car of the '60s here in the UK. I have good friends here who are early owners, in fact one has a 1965 Marcos prototype.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The company history is an interesting story. And a plywood chassis!

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: thoughts about getting in and out of a Ghia after hip replacemen Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:

Yes a marine ply chassis until 1969 so no rust. Laughing
The seats were fixed and you had a winder to move the pedal cluster backwards or forwards to suit your height.
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: thoughts about getting in and out of a Ghia after hip replacemen Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
Marcdeb wrote:

The seats were fixed and you had a winder to move the pedal cluster backwards or forwards to suit your height.

Hopefully the steering wheel was adjustable too? Shocked

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: thoughts about getting in and out of a Ghia after hip replacemen Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:
John Moxon wrote:
Marcdeb wrote:

Hopefully the steering wheel was adjustable too? Shocked

Yes it was.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: