Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Value of a 66 Westy
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Venny1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:25 pm    Post subject: Value of a 66 Westy Reply with quote

Hey Everyone!

I'm going to go have a look at a 66 Westy that's been in a state of restoration for the past 20 years. Unfortunately, the owner is sick and not able to complete the resto so he has it up for sale. From the research I've done, a Westy is not worth as much as a non-Westy. I've only been able to find a couple of old ads of what people were asking for them I saw one that sold for $25,000 at the Barrett-Jackson auction that looked to be in mint shape. The seller is asking $20,000. He says it's complete and has a lot of extra parts and an extra engine too. I haven't seen it yet but will be going to have a look at it this weekend. Any ideas on what a mint 66 Westy would be worth these days and are they sought after at all?

Thanks in advance for your input!
Marc
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Value of a 66 Westy Reply with quote

First, there are some threads in the FAQ on bus value:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=71827

Second, check the whines thread, though it is long and whiney and gossipy, may have some useful info in there.

Three, a Westy camper is generally worth more than a non-westy camper. Westys and deluxes are the top value models.

Four, check the classifieds for similar buses.
If the price is good, they sell quick.:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...ton=Search
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Value of a 66 Westy Reply with quote

Venny1962 wrote:
Hey Everyone!

I'm going to go have a look at a 66 Westy that's been in a state of restoration for the past 20 years. Unfortunately, the owner is sick and not able to complete the resto so he has it up for sale. From the research I've done, a Westy is not worth as much as a non-Westy. I've only been able to find a couple of old ads of what people were asking for them I saw one that sold for $25,000 at the Barrett-Jackson auction that looked to be in mint shape. The seller is asking $20,000. He says it's complete and has a lot of extra parts and an extra engine too. I haven't seen it yet but will be going to have a look at it this weekend. Any ideas on what a mint 66 Westy would be worth these days and are they sought after at all?

Thanks in advance for your input!
Marc

Is it rusty? That’s the first thing I’d check for. And don’t forget shiny new paint jobs can hide acres of Bondo that is covering up all sorts of rust holes. Check carefully.
Venny1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Value of a 66 Westy Reply with quote

Clara wrote:

Second, check the whines thread, though it is long and whiney and gossipy, may have some useful info in there.

Three, a Westy camper is generally worth more than a non-westy camper. Westys and deluxes are the top value models.

Thanks for that Clara! I guess I don't know how to do a proper search in these forums to find info!
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Value of a 66 Westy Reply with quote

Venny1962 wrote:
Clara wrote:

Thanks for that Clara! I guess I don't know how to do a proper search in these forums to find info!

The four common types of Westy from 65-67 were (look at the M-Code) plate on the firewall, when you tip the passenger front seat back forward:
A42: SO-42 Westfalia interior, no exterior fitments (tin top)
B42: SO-42 Westfalia interior, pop-up top, side tent, and roof rack
C42: SO-42 Westfalia interior, pop-up top
D42: SO-42 Westfalia interior, with side tent and roof rack (tin top)

Here is the "whines" thread (it's a Sticky topic on the Split Bus forum): https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=150711
Once you're there... just to the right of "post reply," there's a search field.
Type in "west*" (witout the quotes) because people might say "westy" or "westfalia" and the asterisk functions as a wild card character (will return results for both westy & westfalia).
It's an old thread, so maybe focus on the more recent posts.

For the classifieds search:
"Mouse over" the Classifieds text in the top ribbon of any page.
Select "Search."
Set "Years" from 1965 to 1967.
Set "Model" = 49-67 camper
Set "Category" = Vehicles - Type 2/Bus - 49-67
Set "Wanted Ads" = Hide wanted ads
Set "Country" = USA

And as Clara said... if it's an old ad, it's priced too high. If it's an old ad and you see the date reflects editing, they may have adjusted their price lower on the edit date.

Feel free to add pics of the bus to your Gallery and update the thread saying "I have pics in my Gallery" (or post pics here).
Venny1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Value of a 66 Westy Reply with quote

easy e wrote:
Venny1962 wrote:
Clara wrote:

The four common types of Westy from 65-67 were (look at the M-Code) plate on the firewall, when you tip the passenger front seat back forward:
A42: SO-42 Westfalia interior, no exterior fitments (tin top)
B42: SO-42 Westfalia interior, pop-up top, side tent, and roof rack
C42: SO-42 Westfalia interior, pop-up top
D42: SO-42 Westfalia interior, with side tent and roof rack (tin top)

Here is the "whines" thread (it's a Sticky topic on the Split Bus forum): https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=150711
Once you're there... just to the right of "post reply," there's a search field.
Type in "west*" (witout the quotes) because people might say "westy" or "westfalia" and the asterisk functions as a wild card character (will return results for both westy & westfalia).
It's an old thread, so maybe focus on the more recent posts.

For the classifieds search:
"Mouse over" the Classifieds text in the top ribbon of any page.
Select "Search."
Set "Years" from 1965 to 1967.
Set "Model" = 49-67 camper
Set "Category" = Vehicles - Type 2/Bus - 49-67
Set "Wanted Ads" = Hide wanted ads
Set "Country" = USA

And as Clara said... if it's an old ad, it's priced too high. If it's an old ad and you see the date reflects editing, they may have adjusted their price lower on the edit date.

Feel free to add pics of the bus to your Gallery and update the thread saying "I have pics in my Gallery" (or post pics here).

Wow!! Thanks for the great info easy e, it is very very much appreciated! I'm now armed with the tools I need to confidently check out whether this Westy will e a good investment.

Thanks again easy e and Clara!!
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Value of a 66 Westy Reply with quote

Westy's are worth more. Generally not more than a 21 or 23, even a nice Dbl Cab brings big dollars. Now ask yourself, am I 'Investing'? To make $?
I've always felt you need to have "bus" in your blood-enjoy driving them and maintaining them most importantly.
And how restored do you want it? They are all expensive when you get to this point. And will you use it as designed? The table, bed and storage is nice to have-pop top even better if you camp or just spend time at your favorite spot.
My first was a westy, now a 21, but to me it is a Bus and that is all that matters b/c I enjoy the characteristics of how they drive, feel, smell (and they do smell a certain way) I don't see them as an investment, maybe an investment in fun having a unique car that looks like nothing else-what a design really. My motorhome does all my Westy does and much better and cheaper w/o so many worries now that I am a father. I would not leave (these days) my Westy at the beach and go surfing like in the 70's/80's, I would most likely be going home in an Uber after reporting it stolen.
Venny1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Value of a 66 Westy Reply with quote

I can't believe my luck! I wasn't looking for a Split Window Westy but this little beauty found me! I already have 2 Westys... an 84 which I had been driving for more than 15 years and am now in the middle of restoring. (I had a 73 for 10 years prior to that) And a 79, very solid and mostly original which I bought last fall. (I'm driving this one now)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I own an auto repair shop specializing in VWs in Nelson BC (for almost 22 years) and this town probably has the highest Westy per capita in all of Canada so I know Bay Window buses, Vanagons, and Eurovans pretty well inside and out! (I'm also a tech)

On the other hand... I've only seen one Split Window (a 58 Single Cab) so I don't have any experience inspecting them up close.

When I went to see this 66 SO-42, I was expecting to see a rotted-out bus in the usual places like they are on the Bay Window buses. Usually in the rockers, jacking points, the wheel arches, etc... But this little beauty is solid! I didn't think one of these even existed in this kind of body shape... Especially in Canada!

Don't get me wrong... There's a lot wrong with this unit, most of the westy cabinetry is missing, (the seller was going to put Vanagon cabinetry in it) and he covered over the front signal lights! (what a bonehead)

Anyways... Here are some pics I took of it. You can check out my gallery to see all of them.

kermie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: Value of a 66 Westy Reply with quote

First of all: congrats!

But.. it's got some fresh paint on it, but also a hole in the right rear and missing sheet metal above the engine? Some red flags for me..

Venny1962 wrote:

1966 Sundail Camper sold
mtnbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: Value of a 66 Westy Reply with quote

Looks like a great bus !
good luck
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Value of a 66 Westy Reply with quote

Wow, why would anyone paint the entire bus and miss that repair? I would go over that Westy with a magnet to be sure then let that test determine your offer.

kermie wrote:

But.. it's got some fresh paint on it, but also a hole in the right rear and missing sheet metal above the engine? Some red flags for me..

Venny1962 wrote:

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Value of a 66 Westy Reply with quote

Minus the Westy kit it’s a kombi with a hole in the roof.
It looks like they plastered over battery tray rot. I bet there’s even more fun surprises under that paint. I’d stay clear of it unless the price is right like under $8k US and you know how to do metal work.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Value of a 66 Westy Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
It looks like they plastered over battery tray rot. I bet there’s even more fun surprises under that paint. I’d stay clear of it unless the price is right like under $8k US and you know how to do metal work.

Looked like it had some metal patches and they didn’t even grind the welds. Agree, I bet there’s lots of surprises under that shiny new paint.
Venny1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Value of a 66 Westy Reply with quote

mtnbus wrote:
Looks like a great bus !
good luck

Thanks!
Venny1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Value of a 66 Westy Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
Wow, why would anyone paint the entire bus and miss that repair? I would go over that Westy with a magnet to be sure then let that test determine your offer.

kermie wrote:

Venny1962 wrote:

First of all... It looks like fresh paint but it's more than 15 years old. The previous owner before the guy I bought it from had the shotty repair on that right rear corner and the front signals removed and patches welded in before painting it. The guy I bought it from, bought it in Alberta and drove it home where he parked it in his garage and disassembled it. (it's always been in a garage so that's why the paint looks fresh) He cut out the rotted battery tray and exposed the Bondo patch job. (a brand new right rear corner panel came with the bus)

If you look at the images of the opposite side and the wheel tubs, you will see that there are no repairs done there, and also the floor and frame rails are solid. The interior panels have all been removed exposing the inside view of all the body panels and I didn't see any other rust (other than behind the driver's seat) or shotty repairs, but I'm sure we'll find some on the very lower parts of the panels and doors once we start preparing the bus for a new paint job.

Venny1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Value of a 66 Westy Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:

Why so negative? The M-Plate says it's a SO-42, C42. The original interior was probably in terrible shape anyways and can be reproduced!
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Value of a 66 Westy Reply with quote

Quote:
Why so negative? The M-Plate says it's a SO-42, C42. The original interior was probably in terrible shape anyways and can be reproduced!

I agree, it's Canada not So Cal. A good price can make up for a lot and SO42's are "the Great camper" I doubt the PO's bondo'ed the under carriage, and that looks pretty good. It's a project no matter how you look at it. 15K + and you have a nice bus
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Value of a 66 Westy Reply with quote

Oh oh..., sounds like you have the rose colored glasses on, hopefully it's dirt cheap, and you enjoy unpleasant surprises.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Value of a 66 Westy Reply with quote

If most of the interior is OUT, you'll be able to see how much plastic is on those panels-pull the ones that are on. That is, if he wants to sell it.
I always think if a bus is dead straight, there is tons of bondo. A bus that is slightly rippled at the supports means it's usually fairly clean and not hiding something.
Riff Raff
Shivering Sambian

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Value of a 66 Westy Reply with quote

Venny1962 wrote:
Braukuche wrote:

You asked for input, not cheerleading.

Braukuche's comments are valuable input.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: