Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

March 63 RHD Notch
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
260KMN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: March 63 RHD Notch Reply with quote

Nothing really happening in this thread at the moment, just driving the notch in the sun.
Latest picture was taken at a local car event, i thought it was worth sharing as it shows off the simple clean lines of the early cars well. cheers

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: March 63 RHD Notch Reply with quote

Fun to drive hey? I'm enjoying mine at the moment too. Love the lines of the early ones though. You're right you can certainly see the clean design lines.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
260KMN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: March 63 RHD Notch Reply with quote

Well it’s been a while since I said anything on this thread.
I finally found time to go get the 63 from it’s storage spot, fully charged battery, connect it up, turn the key, lights come on but nothing else, great!
I had been having some cranking issues previously but not this bad.
After a close look at the battery connections I spot the positive post on the battery is blackened. Some form of corrosion I guess, only had basic tools so a quick scrape with pliers and reconnect, fires right up.
Once home I started a systematic cleaning of every battery and ground strap connection as it wouldn’t crank when hot, previously.
Also heard a wierd noise from the motor, sounds like when you get something in the fan on a bug. So last night, strip down. Fan housing and fans removed, nothing there, although one of the four bolts that hold the fan casing to the engine case was missing. Reassembled it all and the noise appears to be better. No idea what it was though.
Went for a cruise this evening for an hour, switched it off and it cranked like a top next time I tried couple of mins later so I am calling that fixed.
The weather is forecast crap for next few days so it’s returned to storage, as still no garage yet.
I keep thinking maybe I should sell the 63 as it never gets used for various reasons, but then when I go out in it that all changes.
Anyway couple of shots out in the Devon sun this evening.

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: March 63 RHD Notch Reply with quote

It does look good though.I can relate to what you're going thru, as my own type 3 spends the winter in storage due to salt. So, any down time during the summer months means less drive time on it for the year.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: March 63 RHD Notch Reply with quote

Move to California!

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: March 63 RHD Notch Reply with quote

Its RHD, so he'd wouldn't easily be able to register it in USA - He could only visit as a "tourist", keeping it on UK plates and registration, and then could only stay for a day less than a year (including Canada and Mexico).
Or of course he could move to Australia where the cars are RHD and Brits and their cars can get in more easily Laughing Weather is better too, and less traffic !!
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: March 63 RHD Notch Reply with quote

ALLWAGONS wrote:
Move to California!

No thanks.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
260KMN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: March 63 RHD Notch Reply with quote

Here here
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: March 63 RHD Notch Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
ALLWAGONS wrote:
Move to California!

No thanks.

Bobnotch is right! don't come here. Other than the weather, this place is starting to suck!

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: March 63 RHD Notch Reply with quote

Qldelsie wrote:
Its RHD, so he'd wouldn't easily be able to register it in USA - He could only visit as a "tourist", keeping it on UK plates and registration, and then could only stay for a day less than a year (including Canada and Mexico).
Or of course he could move to Australia where the cars are RHD and Brits and their cars can get in more easily Laughing Weather is better too, and less traffic !!

I registered/drove a RHD Mini panel in California with no problem. Come to Oregon for the weather!
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: March 63 RHD Notch Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:

I registered/drove a RHD Mini panel in California with no problem. Come to Oregon for the weather!

Yes Mike, but the issue is actually "importing" the car if you are a foreigner, and the key is the word "import". It does not mean "bringing the car to the US temporarily for a holiday". It means "bringing a foreign car in, and as a citizen of that country getting it registered and licenced in that country". All the cars I brought in "on holiday" did not meet US design approval specs, so could not be registered or licenced there. In fact, in getting the import exemption from the US EPA, I was given 12 months to get the car out of NAFTA countries, or pay a $25,000 fine, and I had to sign an agreement that I would pay before they gave me the import exemption ! The way around that was to ship my next car to Canada, where they have no "temporary import" restrictions, so you can keep car there as long as you like (as long as you keep the registration in its home country valid) - And drive into the USA whenever you feel like it. That is why all knowledgeable Overlanders ship into Canada and not USA.
As for what can be registered in the USA, on my Lotus trip I found a rare 1999 VHPD (Very High Performance Derivative) Lotus Elise that was RHD and registered. But when we looked at the VIN plate that had been attached to the dashboard, (Elises never had the VIN plate on the dash, it was always down on the front chassis member), the VIN number on there was for a 1960's Lotus Elan 2+2 !! Apparently the inspector had commented on how new the "old" car appeared, and the owner just told him it had been rebuilt - And the inspector passed it !!! Its amazing what one can get away with - On my journey round the US, I found MANY cars that had "interesting" and somewhat shady histories, so yes, it can be done, but you have to "know" and work the system" !!
260KMN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: March 63 RHD Notch Reply with quote

Still got the 63 and do drive it occasionally, here it is in our garden looking lovely in the sun.

260KMN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: March 63 RHD Notch Reply with quote

It passed the 1000 miles since returning to the road mark on Sunday. Shows how much I have used it in the last 3 years.
260KMN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: March 63 RHD Notch Reply with quote

Took the 63 out for a test drive after yet another rear hub oil seal fix attempt.
This one appears to have finally stopped the leak. So called at my favourite drinking establishment for some refreshment and to celebrate.
Dfasty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: March 63 RHD Notch Reply with quote

sweet ride.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: March 63 RHD Notch Reply with quote

Dude. You have a RHD Type 3 in the UK. You are at the top of the pile in value and desirability amongst your fellow countrymen. Rolling Eyes And its a nice fucking ride. Duh. Yeah the weather is shit. I moved back to Cali from Seattle mostly because I found a great girl, but bruh. I live in San Diego again. Once where I was born. Others talk shite. Most have never lived here and been in these trenches. They get political crap spewed to them off the "media" tit they are accustom to. Like religion. Pick your flavor, and suck from that tit.

Life is different and does not reflect the doldrums one imagines states away or even what it was like 20 years ago when they lived here. Sorry. Your passport has expired, do not pass go. I love my SoCal life. Is California crazy? Sure, but define crazy in a way that everyone interprets crazy first. Think

That car is sick. Enjoy it, live within the boundaries you are given and conferrable to where you live. Not driving in foul weather to me is a total puss out. Like it wasn't built with bad weather in mind. Laughing

You are the steward, but not indentured to it. It was meant to drive and enjoy. If you cant do that then sell it. Cool

Oh and US customs does not give a shit what side the steering wheel is on. Has no difference in registering it in Cali or Idaho. The internet is an awesome source for disinformation Rolling Eyes Fucking comments I see some time.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
260KMN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: March 63 RHD Notch Reply with quote

Still got this, yesterday was a beautiful sunny late autumn(fall) day, so I washed and polished the 63 ready to drive a 250 mile round trip to the Slough VW swap meet today. Typical English weather, it rained all the way there and back.
Mucky Notch

Drove like a champ, although I think the generator bearings are on their way out judging by the noise.
Made some small purchases for my other car, was worth the trip though.
260KMN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: March 63 RHD Notch Reply with quote

I finally did what I shoulda done when I rebuilt the 63, converted it to 12 volt.
When I rebuilt the car I wanted to keep it as stock as possible so 6 volt, but it’s been a pain starting the car when hot ever since I completed it. Changed everything, new starter and bushing, new wiring with relay control, additional wiring earths, even bought an Optima but it was still tricky to crank when hot. So now it’s all 12 volt. I thought I would try one of these Tudor 90mm dynamators as they call them.

It’s actually designed for a bug or 356 but it actually fits ok, the shaft where the fan would fit clears the tinware and with the correct brackets it also clears the HT leads. I did remove the lower cover off it so it could seat down nicely on the fan housing.

Time will tell whether it’s any good, but so far it seems to charge, not done a big drive as yet as the UK weather has been shite.
Got a dropper for the wipers, fuel cut off solenoid and fuel gauge, changed everything else to 12 volt parts.
I Left the starter as 6 volt, I did this previously on a bug with no issues.
The radio has a 6 or 12 volt selection and works fine.
It cranks good so far, but I need a long drive to really test it.
Hopefully it should be ok.
Will report back in a few months or when it stops raining.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: March 63 RHD Notch Reply with quote

Looks great. Nice and neat.

So you didn't cut the shaft off on the coil side? Or you did?

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
260KMN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:28 am    Post subject: Re: March 63 RHD Notch Reply with quote

No I left the coil side shaft in place. Just removed the nut and washer.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 12 of 13

Jump to: