Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

end of summer Columbia gorge free camp out
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vino de vano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:31 pm    Post subject: end of summer Columbia gorge free camp out Reply with quote

Anyone want to do a VW gathering and camp. Ether by the river in Rufus OR. or on the hood river on Mount Hood. Sept 17-18. Free camping at both sites. Lets talk about it. Razz Mark
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: end of summer Columbia gorge free camp out Reply with quote

What campgrounds are you thinking about? Rufus is in the middle of nowhere.
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: end of summer Columbia gorge free camp out Reply with quote

It would be better if it wasn't at a campground! Anywhere out of the smoke!
nate
That Baldwin Life YouTube Channel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vino de vano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: end of summer Columbia gorge free camp out Reply with quote

Rufus is kind of out in desert right on the Columbia river. Just take a left off the exit ramp and go under the hi-way to the river, make a left and drive to the end where there is a large area of flat gravel for parking. There is also usually been a sanacan located there in the past. The trains pass close by so a little noisy at times. It's a free camp site not a camp ground. Plus town is near by so supplies or dinner out are available. PS the river is as warm as it ever gets right now, for those who like to swim.
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: end of summer Columbia gorge free camp out Reply with quote

Where's the Hood River spot you were thinking about? Do you have map coordinates?
vino de vano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: end of summer Columbia gorge free camp out Reply with quote

hwy 36 about two miles south of sherwood camp ground, just past one other pay camp ground that I don't remember the name of. turn off to the right into the trees, the biggest spot is to the right and will take at lest ten vans. its a good spot to claim early in the afternoon, as it's first come first served. This one is also right next to the river but its very cold water. Also has fire pits if the burn ban ends. this place is fairly quite with just a little hwy noise. Sorry there are no toilets so it's bucket or bury. This pic is of the location.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: end of summer Columbia gorge free camp out Reply with quote

I might be down for a spot in Hood River area after work. Driving from Portland so I probably wouldn’t get there until 7-8pm. Can I take the 72 bus?
Hoping to get the Vanagon exhaust sorted out this weekend if time allows. If I do, I’ll take the Van. I missed Mogfest and DOB this year. To many people for my comfort level. A small gathering sounds like fun.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
vegpedlr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: end of summer Columbia gorge free camp out Reply with quote

I might be up for this. I vote for Hwy 35, as I can bring my bike and aqueeze in a ride. After being a bit over at Descend, a small group would be nice and relaxing.
vino de vano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: end of summer Columbia gorge free camp out Reply with quote

Bus or van it's all the same to me. Sounds like Hood is the better choice. If there is solid interest, I can be there mid day on Friday to hold the big camp. Lets camp! Mark
GoEverywhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: end of summer Columbia gorge free camp out Reply with quote

Thats the end of my Son's first week of high school, but if we're not too burned out by all that a camping trip sounds fun. The Gorge is an easy run from Oregon City where I'm at. I'll keep an eye on this thread!
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: end of summer Columbia gorge free camp out Reply with quote

vino de vano wrote:
hwy 36 about two miles south of sherwood camp ground, just past one other pay camp ground that I don't remember the name of. turn off to the right into the trees, the biggest spot is to the right and will take at lest ten vans. its a good spot to claim early in the afternoon, as it's first come first served. This one is also right next to the river but its very cold water. Also has fire pits if the burn ban ends. this place is fairly quite with just a little hwy noise. Sorry there are no toilets so it's bucket or bury. This pic is of the location.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

We camped here in our snow camping video from earlier this year.
nate
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vino de vano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: end of summer Columbia gorge free camp out Reply with quote

Thats the spot. I've been enjoying your videos, you guys get around. If you have any suggestions of a better place to meet and camp please let us know.
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: end of summer Columbia gorge free camp out Reply with quote

Is this the location?
https://goo.gl/maps/hreX2tVn5JPumbHy8
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: end of summer Columbia gorge free camp out Reply with quote

Yep, down that road on the river.

Vino de Vano, thanks for watching! The group site at Macks Canyon Campground is nice (second site on that same video) but is definitely further away.

nate
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: end of summer Columbia gorge free camp out Reply with quote

All this and I'm not 100% sure we can even go! We have a trip planned in Washington that same weekend and Nancy takes the Westy the weekend after for a girls trip. Might be able to move some stuff around.
nate
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: end of summer Columbia gorge free camp out Reply with quote

Xatie’s down for this. So far it’s looking good if it’s close to Hood River/ Mt Hood area. I don’t care if it’s a parking lot Laughing

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
vino de vano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: end of summer Columbia gorge free camp out Reply with quote

It's WAY better than a parking lot. Smile
vegpedlr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: end of summer Columbia gorge free camp out Reply with quote

I work Sat. mornings, so if someone saves me a spot and some are staying until Sun. morning, I’m down.

I like to be in my van. Down by the river.
vino de vano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: end of summer Columbia gorge free camp out Reply with quote

I'll be there Friday and Saturday night for sure. It would be great to see you again, hope you can make it. We'll make a spot. It's my last chance to camp this summer, I hope to make it a good one.
vino de vano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: end of summer Columbia gorge free camp out Reply with quote

Bump Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: