Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Portable cooler that fits in fridge space
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ockyfib
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:48 pm    Post subject: Portable cooler that fits in fridge space Reply with quote

We took out the non-functioning Dometic fridge a few years back and would like to get a 12V cooler that does not take up a lot of floor space. Ideally it would be one that can fit in the fridge space but I am having trouble finding anything that fits the bill larger than 10L or so. The problem seems to be that all coolers in the 20-30L range are long rather than tall!
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Portable cooler that fits in fridge space Reply with quote

Portable I can't speak to, but a Unit tha'ts 12 volt only, as a replacement, seems to be the Truck Fridge 49 model as a very popular drop-in replacement for the Dometic Stock Unit. Not portable, but it fits.... Smile

I think the problem with portable like you said is that the space you have to work with,[without modifying the stock cabinet] is pretty small, so true drop-ins that have decent interior volume aren't as popular as the larger liter sizes that would have to sit outside the old space, on the floor, BUT, hold a lot more food and drink and have compressor cooling so you get freezer ability to boot.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Portable cooler that fits in fridge space Reply with quote

Cubed portable coolers may be available, but they might be a bit pricy. Most portable coolers are the standard rectangular shape that's going to stick out from the original Dometic fridge location.

I've got a Truckfridge TF49 installed as a replacement to the OEM Dometic. I really like it. It stays consistently cold, even in 90+ degree temps, which the OEM Dometic in my van just could not do.

Von Westy YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbhyZYxJEQrUuLnMbLleeIA
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Portable cooler that fits in fridge space Reply with quote

If you can afford it the Truckfridge 49 would be the way to go for you. No mods to the cabinets like for the TF65 like I have.

You can buy a LiFePO4 battery and charge it at home and then just hook up the fridge to it for a weekend+ of cold food and drinks. No need to get elaborate.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
coqcitywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Portable cooler that fits in fridge space Reply with quote

X10 on the TF49 - easy install and holds at least two days of cold food + wine bottles stand up in it + (as mentioned) you can make ice cubes in desert heat. I easily get two days of 'power' from my flooded 120AH deep cycle battery (before recharging or connecting to solar) which is also running led lights and chargers. Its a game changer with respect to convenience.
ockyfib
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Portable cooler that fits in fridge space Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments guys, I will probably be going down the TF49 route at some point but currently have a lead acid battery under the driver's seat which I doubt will do the job on its own. Solar addition is a future option but for now I'm trying to find a simple workable solution to tide me over. I'm thinking of a 20-25L 12V cooler running off the aux battery while driving and then hooking up to a Jackery 500 box when camping. The way current climate disasters are going I like the idea of having a portable power source and cooler not bolted into the van for when the sh*t hits the fan!
Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Portable cooler that fits in fridge space Reply with quote

I'm running my TF49 off a 100ah deep cycle Renogy battery. If I'm out for more than two days I have a 100W solar panel I can chase the sun with and a Renogy Adventure solar panel controller.

If I'm where shore power is it's no issue, as the 110v plug plugs into the side outlet inside the cabinetry just like the old Dometic. As soon as the van is plugged in to shore power the TF49 is on.

Von Westy YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbhyZYxJEQrUuLnMbLleeIA
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: