Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

84 van does not move, runs great
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Krumby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:27 am    Post subject: 84 van does not move, runs great Reply with quote

Aloha
I have a 1984 westy that I rent out it’s has had about 25 different renters in the the last 10 months.
So yesterday one of them was driving and all of a sudden the engine revs and the bus is not moving.
I’m thinking the clutch went out I’m gonna start pulling the trans out today. The clutch is about a year and a half old.
I pulled one of the cv joints last night and the tranny seems to go into gear so I’m hoping it’s not that. I turn the hub and the tranny just turns I put it gear and the tranny has some resistance
Anyone else have had this problem?
I appreciate the help
Mahalo
oceanair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: 84 van does not move runs great Reply with quote

Clutch sounds likely -- 25 renters, who knows how much they burn the clutch on those hills...
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: 84 van does not move, runs great Reply with quote

Did you watch for an axle spinning while in gear, before you pulled a cv? With an open differential and an axle removed it won't move in gear, all power will be diverted to the side with no axle. Clutches can grenade and suddenly stop working but they usually give warning signs of slipping long before it just won't move. I'd really rule out cv issues before pulling the trans.
Krumby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: 84 van does not move, runs great Reply with quote

How Do I check cv joints to see if they are bad ?
Krumby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: 84 van does not move, runs great Reply with quote

How Do I check cv joints to see if they are bad ?
Krumby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: 84 van does not move, runs great Reply with quote

There was nothing moving at all under there the shifter goes into gear and the clutch pedal seems to feel fine. Just nothing happens when in gear no grind no nothing.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: 84 van does not move, runs great Reply with quote

I've got your money on clutch disc.
good thing those renters paid you for your services.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: 84 van does not move, runs great Reply with quote

Crumby wrote:
So yesterday one of them was driving and all of a sudden the engine revs and the bus is not moving.

I’m thinking the clutch went out I’m gonna start pulling the trans out today. The clutch is about a year and a half old.

I agree with alaskadan. A "sudden" failure of a clutch part in the clutch housing would've given noise, shuddering etc warning signs. But, the disc could've been at the end of its' life and as the renter drove the van, especially uphill, it could've fried off the remaining required thickness of disc material.

If renters' description was 100% accurate, this likely doesn't apply but even so, I'd check if shifter is working properly. While shifting gears, a cell phone taking video of shifter at tranny could help here.

@ the forum: can a CV fail and sort of bind up so axle feels like it's not turning but when power is applied, the CV does not transfer power?

With van in gear, both axles connected at both ends, judicious use of vice grip to try and turn each axle might help.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 84 van does not move, runs great Reply with quote

Hi David!

It's the clutch bro, most americans can't drive stick shift for shit.
When I was renting mine, I was very glad to have an automatic as well to offer up. The manual one I was renting I bought it with a dead clutch, and dead transmission bc the renters tried so hard at it (from the previous company...)
I replaced clutch and transmission, rebuilt the engine and never had a single problem in 6 years, it was rented out to people I was very insistant on having manual transmission skills.
I sold it to a young man, I had to teach him how to drive stick. He said he had a Jeep before, and burnt 2 clutches on it before selling it.... Well, a few days later, he paid me to replace the clutch too Laughing It was gone, I couldn't believe it, just the metal was left!! Never seen that!! Some people are deaf and clearly not gifted Rolling Eyes

You better order a flywheel now, it's fncked, guarantee Embarassed and a new rear main seal and o'ring from Gowesty, also the pilot bearing and little felt. Get the Sabo brand seal they sell, everything else can be purchased elsewhere. Double check the edge of the flywheel for sharp edges at the seal snout, I've seen a few poorly machined and it would have cut into the seal if I hadn't been careful, trust NOTHING. Easily dressed with a file.

Aloha from Nicaragua braddah Wink
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 84 van does not move, runs great Reply with quote

man, i just don't have the calm attitude it would take to rent out a Vanagon... a Ford Focus, sure. there's so many ways Vanagons can be abused with three simple controls... throttle, stick, and clutch. other cars can stand abuse because their engine controls and structure withstand ignorance, but these run on the ragged edge of actually needing expertise to keep their 30 year old bits turning. it's a combination of VW building to the very limit of product life plus 100k miles wear. uff ta. i'd be the Soup Nazi.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcdennis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 84 van does not move, runs great Reply with quote

Did you check the castle nuts? If they aren’t torqued down, it can result in axel spline failure and suddenly you are no longer moving.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 84 van does not move, runs great Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
man, i just don't have the calm attitude it would take to rent out a Vanagon... a Ford Focus, sure. there's so many ways Vanagons can be abused with three simple controls... throttle, stick, and clutch. other cars can stand abuse because their engine controls and structure withstand ignorance, but these run on the ragged edge of actually needing expertise to keep their 30 year old bits turning. it's a combination of VW building to the very limit of product life plus 100k miles wear. uff ta. i'd be the Soup Nazi.

Dude, it wore me out, and being French, I'm certainly not one to kiss customer's ass when they're wrong or stupid, quite the opposite.
So many screwed me one way or another with small broken things, lost objects I only caught later when doing a full detailing, no matter how well you inspect, you always miss the one thing you should have seen upon return. Insurance doesn't cover anything, and some people who agreed face to face actually backstabbed saying it was made up to their own insurance. Go prove things against insurers, all they do is not want to pay what they're contracted to do. If I ever get a chance to screw an insurance company back, I'll take it with no remorse.
I sold the vans and not looking back, too stressful and I care too much. Especially now with all these stupid apps Uber-like taking a lot of commission, everybody is a renter now, ready to bear all the risks and work for no real profit.

It was good for a few years, Covid put a seal on that fate. Better rent something more modern, with tax amortisment and renew the park regularly like the big guys, keep the ball rolling. Bye!! Laughing
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Krumby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: 84 van does not move, runs great Reply with quote

Yup it was the clutch completely gone see photos,
Before I rent I always ask are you over 25 and are you proficient in driving a manual transmission. It scares away some people but I watch people take off and I cry every time.
The bus makes me good money one of the reasons I got it was to rent it out. It pays the bills to restore it. If they break anything they pay simple rule. Driving on Maui is slow driving and every single person wants to drive the road to Hana which is where I guarantee the clutch is getting ruined. I don’t allow it to go up Haleakala at all.
I don’t get how people don’t know how to drive stick. Saving grace is I do all the work myself.
With help from all you guys which I greatly appreciate!
Mahalo for all your help.
Check out the photos and cry with me
David

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: 84 van does not move, runs great Reply with quote

I hope the FW can be saved and that disc material hasn't fouled up anything in clutch housing (though I doubt that would happen).

That's a drag but it seems it's one example of the "cost of doing business".

Even if a customer has a manual tranny daily driver that's no guarantee they won't lie about having pushed the clutch past its' intended design or avoid mentioning that the clutch is slipping/shuddering.

Seems to me that 25 different rental periods isn't bad for that kind of wear; you could see that after 5 renters who drive it ok on level road, mild inlines but come time to find a camp spot, slip the clutch way too much pushing the van too hard too far up some dirt-gravel type road.

Maybe stipulate no off road use in contract? Install "black box" type GPS tracking unit? Wink

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Krumby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 84 van does not move, runs great Reply with quote

I do have a tracker in the bus that tells me if they go out of my geo fence on the island. I know there every move and I have a strict no off road policy with Betty.
I have caught people breaking the rules and they will lose there deposit if they do.
David
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 84 van does not move, runs great Reply with quote

Pull the trans input shaft seal and check the slinger in the bell housing for movement.

Make sure you either have the felt ring and holder or use the diesel vanagon pilot bearing and modify the flywheel appropriately.

Check the release forks for wear - they should be semi-circular.

Get the flywheel turned.

Clean all the crap out of the bell housing.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 84 van does not move, runs great Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:
If I ever get a chance to screw an insurance company back, I'll take it with no remorse.

this may make you feel better

had to deal with a customers insurance. long story short they wanted to pay 'insurance rates' (cough, like 48 bux an hour) told them nope, here's the price.

they got stupid so i told them they have to tow it out and they can deal with the customer, or i'll tow it out and leave it on the side of the road and they can get it out of impound when the cops tow it

after much back and forth with them they took my price and i fixed the car. the adjuster said "i don't know how you sleep with yourself" i told them "easy, on a pillow full of money" Laughing

for what it's worth they wanted to pay 1800 on a 3500 job. i despise insurance companies as well.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: