Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

air shocks in front vw t2
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
vwulf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 4:52 pm    Post subject: air shocks in front vw t2 Reply with quote

Hi

I have a vw t2 1973 and I've read that many use hijackers in front of them. Is anyone who has experience and pictures of it?

best regards

Ulf
Norway
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by vwulf on Mon May 01, 2017 5:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: hijackers on vw t2 Reply with quote

can you tell me what a hijacker is or post a picture of one?

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: hijackers on vw t2 Reply with quote

Hi Jacker by Gabriel Shock Absorber Company are an air shock, but really not for raising the vehicle as it is for when you are trying to transport heavy loads.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&a...-23QdxGlXg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rottenkid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: hijackers on vw t2 Reply with quote

You could call up the company and see if they can cross reference an air shock that closely fits the front end. I know for the rear air shocks for 72 to 79 the Astro van air shock fit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwulf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: hijackers on vw t2 Reply with quote

pioneer1 wrote:
can you tell me what a hijacker is or post a picture of one?

Hi

Sorry for bad expressions. In Norway, we only use the word hijackers.

But better known as air shocks
vwulf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: hijackers on vw t2 Reply with quote

rottenkid wrote:
You could call up the company and see if they can cross reference an air shock that closely fits the front end. I know for the rear air shocks for 72 to 79 the Astro van air shock fit.

Hi

Here in my country these are difficult to buy almost none of the stores have these in stock.

So if anyone has mounted anything on their buses that can share experiences
rottenkid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 2:31 am    Post subject: Re: air shocks in front vw t2 Reply with quote

I ran across a fellow that had air shocks on the front of his bus. I tried to find out what shocks he used, but he only knew how to pay someone else to do the job. I will search and let you know.
vwulf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: air shocks in front vw t2 Reply with quote

rottenkid wrote:
I ran across a fellow that had air shocks on the front of his bus. I tried to find out what shocks he used, but he only knew how to pay someone else to do the job. I will search and let you know.

im am going to put on som monroe ma 812 today Very Happy
JAMES OLSON
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: air shocks in front vw t2 Reply with quote

did the air shocks bolt right up?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Classifieds Feedback
rottenkid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: air shocks in front vw t2 Reply with quote

I used 68 to 75 beetle air shocks on the front of my bus and Astro van air shocks for the rear of my bus.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: air shocks in front vw t2 Reply with quote

don't use shocks on a bus to increase the ride height unless you modify the mount points to carry the load. Bay shock mounts are not engineered to increase handling capacity. The ride height is set by the placement of the torsion springs and leaves, and their strength. with the age of these bays, we do see fatigue failures with mount points. With a modified suspension like you have just stay away from heavy loads.
jpeters
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: air shocks in front vw t2 Reply with quote

In addition to the Monroe 812's mentioned above, I saw in another thread the 803. Anyone have any experience?

I'm wanting to add some air shocks to the front of my Westy. Suspension is stock, but I'm going to add a 2" receiver hitch that will hold 3 bikes ultimately. Estimating hitch, rack, bikes to be about 150 pounds additional weight.
'65 Bug
'63 Bug

neverdnf on Instagram
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rottenkid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: air shocks in front vw t2 Reply with quote

The Monroe air shocks I used on the front of my bus must have been the MA803. They are made to fit the rear of a beetle from 68 to 75.
You have to give them a little twist to bolt them in. Mine have been in for several years. They make for a nice ride.

If you need Gabriel, then just cross reference the MA803.
metahacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: air shocks in front vw t2 Reply with quote

The best options for something off the shelf (e.g. the Limebug custom "Goldtops" are on a different level) are as follows:

Front - Gabriel HiJacker 49307 (normal application is Beetle rear, I believe)
should just bolt on on any T2b or late T2a (e.g. not sure about the thread length challenges the earlier T2a has on front shock fitment with these, but that is not an issue specific to this particular 'mod')

Rear - Gabriel HiJacker 49215 (normal application is GMC Safari/Chevy Astro...although now they list Vanagon, which they did not before)
You will need Audi PN N-909-24-02 for the upper mount bolt, and the stock T2 upper bolt should be moved to the bottom. The eyelets are wider than the stock shock. You may also need a washer between the shock and upper mount.

I have cross referenced the specifications for these two dampers and they are good matches for the stock spec dampers in terms of eyelet diameter, total length extended/ compressed, total travel, etc.

I have had the rears installed for 10+ years on my T2a single cab (along with Bilstein fronts). They are great. I am going to swap my Konis on my T2b camper for the same.

The Gabriel is not a piece of shit like the Monroe. From what I have observed, it appears to be a high quality nitrogen-charged gas shock... with a "bellows" style air bag over it. It's not an air-pressurized shock absorber. It's essentially a pneumatically sprung version of a "coil-over gas shock."

In my single cab, we hauled 2200lbs of concrete rubble and the Gabriels easily brought it back up to stock ride height with a very reasonably low pressure. They can run from 20 to 250 psi.

I saw a statically lowered Beetle using them in the front with a high-pressure electric pneumatic valve setup like a regular "bagged" lowrider. It was indistinguishable in it's performance from a heavy duty custom welded setup with a dedicated air spring (e.g. something like what Nate does at Wagens West). And it cost only $200 to do so... at least for the bags (not counting the switch box, valves, tank, compressor to feed it). heh.

Static lowering with an adjustable beam + re-indexed rear ... and running $200 of Gabriel air bagged shocks all around .. on a Bus .. seems like an interesting proposition, IMO. Especially since you aren't really mangling the vehicle and "denaturing" it. You are primarily just making the spring rates more adjustable and changing the rear torsion offset to allow said adjustment to have a more useful height range.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: air shocks in front vw t2 Reply with quote

I like the ones where you can make your bus jump. That is so cool. Drive around with one arm hanging out the window low down in the seat using a chromed chain steering wheel, and a 9mm sitting on your lap. That is so cool. Lots of axle grease in your hair too. It is so 70's.
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: air shocks in front vw t2 Reply with quote

Check your local laws on this. I know in the USA it is illegal in many states to mount air shocks to the front suspension of any car. Idea
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: air shocks in front vw t2 Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This guy showed up at our Techenders (beer and spannering in a field with a 4 point lift over in the barn) session over here.

Airbagged suspension, front and rear - bags in the front arches. Uses a parallelogram third suspension arm in the front to stop the air bag toppling as the suspension arms raise and lower.

Engine and gearbox raised 6" . Total drop over stock about 12". Will go up about 6" or so from touching the ground.

Wheels tubbed - boxes extend into cab doors to allow the wheels to turn while dropped.

This was based on parts bought on eBay, and a lot of creative fabrication over the last 18 months.

The story:
https://www.thelatebay.com/index.php?threads/custom-air-ride-on-daisy.86349/

Although it has not had an official safety inspection, it has been looked over by somebody who does MOT inspections.

Not finished yet, but expect it at European shows next year.

So far it has done over 800 miles on the open road. Taking the family on holiday.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: air shocks in front vw t2 Reply with quote

so what happens if it doesn't pass MOT?
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:14 am    Post subject: Re: air shocks in front vw t2 Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
so what happens if it doesn't pass MOT?

Then you pay the inspectors off, or pay , just like smog in California.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wakalino
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:48 am    Post subject: Re: air shocks in front vw t2 Reply with quote

metahacker wrote:
The best options for something off the shelf (e.g. the Limebug custom "Goldtops" are on a different level) are as follows:

Front - Gabriel HiJacker 49307 (normal application is Beetle rear, I believe)
should just bolt on on any T2b or late T2a (e.g. not sure about the thread length challenges the earlier T2a has on front shock fitment with these, but that is not an issue specific to this particular 'mod')

Rear - Gabriel HiJacker 49215 (normal application is GMC Safari/Chevy Astro...although now they list Vanagon, which they did not before)
You will need Audi PN N-909-24-02 for the upper mount bolt, and the stock T2 upper bolt should be moved to the bottom. The eyelets are wider than the stock shock. You may also need a washer between the shock and upper mount.

I have cross referenced the specifications for these two dampers and they are good matches for the stock spec dampers in terms of eyelet diameter, total length extended/ compressed, total travel, etc.

I have had the rears installed for 10+ years on my T2a single cab (along with Bilstein fronts). They are great. I am going to swap my Konis on my T2b camper for the same.

The Gabriel is not a piece of shit like the Monroe. From what I have observed, it appears to be a high quality nitrogen-charged gas shock... with a "bellows" style air bag over it. It's not an air-pressurized shock absorber. It's essentially a pneumatically sprung version of a "coil-over gas shock."

In my single cab, we hauled 2200lbs of concrete rubble and the Gabriels easily brought it back up to stock ride height with a very reasonably low pressure. They can run from 20 to 250 psi.

I saw a statically lowered Beetle using them in the front with a high-pressure electric pneumatic valve setup like a regular "bagged" lowrider. It was indistinguishable in it's performance from a heavy duty custom welded setup with a dedicated air spring (e.g. something like what Nate does at Wagens West). And it cost only $200 to do so... at least for the bags (not counting the switch box, valves, tank, compressor to feed it). heh.

Static lowering with an adjustable beam + re-indexed rear ... and running $200 of Gabriel air bagged shocks all around .. on a Bus .. seems like an interesting proposition, IMO. Especially since you aren't really mangling the vehicle and "denaturing" it. You are primarily just making the spring rates more adjustable and changing the rear torsion offset to allow said adjustment to have a more useful height range.

Did you ever swap out your Koni's on your camper mate?

I'm considering fitting Hijackers all round on mine, there seems to be a lot of concern around the shock mounts being able to take the extra load flying about though, i wondered if you'd had any first hand experience of it.

I imagine day to day, it's probably not much of an issue on the single cab as i would have thought it weighs a bit less than a camper.

Did you have the single cab set low, then jack up the ride height to travel on the hijackers or just when you have more of a load in the back to level out the ride height?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: