Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bought a new 2002, what oil/filter should I be using?
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ColdPorkSandwich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:08 pm    Post subject: Bought a new 2002, what oil/filter should I be using? Reply with quote

Hello

I own a vanagon 87, but our family is now the proud owner of an 2002 EURO.

I DO NOT KNOW WHAT THEY USED FOR OIL. Engine has 230k on it, and it's auto.

I'm looking for good oil that I can get regularly (costco) at a decent price.

I'm hoping to know what Oil Filter and Air filters you use as well... (oem what?) where would be helpful.

Thanks in advance...

BONUS... any tools (oil collector) or anything to make this operation easier/cleaner for me. Always wanted to do start doing my oil changes and now that I have time, just need more knowledge.
1987 Westy 2.1 2wd (current)
2002 Euro MV (current)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought a new 2002, what oil/filter should I be using? Reply with quote

Use any brand full synthetic, change at 5000 miles, run a Blackstone labs analysis, and adjust interval accordingly.

Castrol, Mobil 1, Shell, Pennzoil

Use VW, Mann or Mahle filter
Whridlsoncestood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Bought a new 2002, what oil/filter should I be using? Reply with quote

I haven’t tried it on my eurovan yet but my gti and wife’s alltrack I use an extractor down the dipstick tube. Gets all but maybe a 1/4 cup of oil out. Very impressed. With the topside oil filters on those cars it’s a breeze. With the van you still have the filter on the underside still so pulling the plug and draining traditionally doesn’t make like any easier if you used the extractor instead.

With high mileage and not a full set of service records I go full synthetic liquimoly and do it every 3k. Buy from fcp euro and you’ll only pay for 1 oil change. It’s free after that so no need to stretch intervals.
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Bought a new 2002, what oil/filter should I be using? Reply with quote

You can use a Purolator filter as they are owned by Mann/Hummel. Most likely you'll get a Mann filter in the box. Parts Master filters are also owned by Mann/Hummel and thus the European filters I use are Mann, just in a different box.
ColdPorkSandwich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Bought a new 2002, what oil/filter should I be using? Reply with quote

WOW, that was helpful. Ordered that testing kit.

Called up liquimoly, there were extremly helpful.

Recomended Liqui Moly 2332 Leichtlauf High Tech 5W-40 Engine Oil

I ordered the kit, from fcp euro with man filter.

I'll look around for a video on how to do it. I like the extracter idea and will more into it.

Thanks for getting me going. Got to look into tranny oil replacement next.
2002 Euro MV (current)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Whridlsoncestood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Bought a new 2002, what oil/filter should I be using? Reply with quote

If you’re doing an oil change it’s barely much more work to do a tranny fluid change. I Jack my car up pointed on a slight downhill incline. Jack up the front until it’s level and out it on Jack stands. Do the oil change first. Then after I pull the 6(?) bolts for the tranny oil pan. Let that drain down. Pop on the new filter and clean the pan. Bolt it back up and fill with 4 quarts. Run it till it’s up to proper temp via a gauge either vcds on your laptop or scanguage while running it through all the gears and pull the plug and let it dribble out. If nothing dribbles put add more until it dribbles out. Put the plug back in and your done. For me really at this point most of the work is kicking it ip and getting it on stands. The rest takes minutes really. You spend more time waiting for things to drain Cool

Fcp has all the transmission oil parts too. Filter, fluid, pan gasket, drain plug
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Bought a new 2002, what oil/filter should I be using? Reply with quote

ColdPorkSandwich wrote:
WOW, that was helpful. Ordered that testing kit.

Called up liquimoly, there were extremly helpful.

Recomended Liqui Moly 2332 Leichtlauf High Tech 5W-40 Engine Oil

I ordered the kit, from fcp euro with man filter.

I'll look around for a video on how to do it. I like the extracter idea and will more into it.

Thanks for getting me going. Got to look into tranny oil replacement next.

I think that all modern synthetic oils are good. As are filters.
I am always cautious about running syn oil in an old engine that has run conventional its whole life. Sometime the slippery oil will leak. Going back to dino oil sometimes will stop the leak, but most of the time it just slows it down and you get to replace some seals and gaskets.
Another thing to look out for is the filter cap/housing. Look at it wrong and it will crack. Do not use a crescent wrench. Get a 36mm (?) socket. Consider getting a billet aluminum cap. There are warnings about getting the URO replacement cap if you OE one does crack. Mine was fine for about 5K miles but I did not want to risk a failure on the open road SO I ended up getting the ECS tuning cap. Very nice unit. link in this thread.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746164&highlight=
ColdPorkSandwich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Bought a new 2002, what oil/filter should I be using? Reply with quote

Great tip, ordering Transmission Oil kit. My first time, make it easy.

I looked over the housing issue. Thanks for the heads up,

When I put the new oil filter in, what torque do I put it at? (got torque wrench).

Thanks
2002 Euro MV (current)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: