Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Seeking input: Putting my 73 Fastback on blocks
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike313
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:26 pm    Post subject: Seeking input: Putting my 73 Fastback on blocks Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

It's been a couple years while I worked on other goals, but I'm back to work on my 73 Fastback now. Once I get the interior back together I want to put the whole car up on blocks to thouroughly go through the wheels, brakes, and suspension. This could take a couple months with my schedule so I'm not comfortable leaving it on jackstands with my family going in and out of the garage all the time. I'm going to blast, paint and reuse the stock rims and need new tires all around so I want all 4 corners up. I'm thinking of cinder blocks and 2x6's built to height, but want to be careful about where I place them. I don't want to stress anything or block access to suspension components that I might need to get to.
What do you guys think about a good block placement? Any other advice is welcomed as well.

Thanks!

Mike
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeking input: Putting my 73 Fastback on blocks Reply with quote

Put wooden blocks under each corner of the pan. That leaves the front beam and rear subframe available for removal if you should desire. The pan is strong enough at the corners to support the weight of the car.

The balance point will be close to the jack points. If you remove the beam first the front of the car may tilt upwards so be careful.

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike313
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeking input: Putting my 73 Fastback on blocks Reply with quote

Thanks for the input Max. I have plenty of 8x8 beams laying around that I can cut to blocks, so that gives a fair amount of surface area on each corner to spread the weight...

Mike
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeking input: Putting my 73 Fastback on blocks Reply with quote

Mike313 wrote:
Thanks for the input Max. I have plenty of 8x8 beams laying around that I can cut to blocks, so that gives a fair amount of surface area on each corner to spread the weight...

Mike

I agree with Max on the placement, In the rear I'd probably go under the rear torsion bar tube with a wooden block above it. Up front, I'd look at the spot where the 2 bolts on each side go up from the pan to the body. I use this as a jacking/jack stand point as it's nice thick solid metal. And unless you plan to pull the body off, the block can stay there. It'll be a nice solid stable place to put them. However, if you plan to remove the rear subframe you'll probably have to reset the rear blocks to somewhere near the jack point mounts, as any further rearward and you won't be able to remove the subframe. I wouldn't leave the blocks there long term with the rear subframe and engine in place (unless I had the blocks under the rear torsion tube), as the floor will eventually bend due to the weight at that location (engine, trans, and subframe weigh quite a bit by themselves).
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Mike313
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeking input: Putting my 73 Fastback on blocks Reply with quote

Thanks Bob, excellent info! Very much appreciated guys!

Mike
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Seeking input: Putting my 73 Fastback on blocks Reply with quote

Never use cinder blocks.
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeking input: Putting my 73 Fastback on blocks Reply with quote

Quote:
so I'm not comfortable leaving it on jackstands with my family going in and out of the garage all the time

you're using the wrong jack stands Laughing
I have the 6 ton stands, and it won't move on those, although you need the high lift jack to go with them if you use them at their max height of 24 inches. It sure makes working under the car a lot easier
https://www.princessauto.com/en/6-ton-jack-stands/product/PA0008760688

My buddy uses the 12 ton stands for his thing

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeking input: Putting my 73 Fastback on blocks Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Never use cinder blocks.

100% agree. NEVER.
Mike313
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeking input: Putting my 73 Fastback on blocks Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice on the cinder blocks. As much as I like collecting tools, I don't have room for 6 ton stands. I have some nice 3 ton stands that I use to support the Camaro when I pull the wheels one side at a time, and a 3.5 ton low profile Arcan jack. I do have an abundance of wood beams, 6x, 2x, and plywood so I can put something solid together from that. I assume you guys have had some cinder blocks fail/crush? I appreciate the warning for sure.
Thanks for all the input!

Mike
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeking input: Putting my 73 Fastback on blocks Reply with quote

Mike313 wrote:
Thanks for the advice on the cinder blocks. As much as I like collecting tools, I don't have room for 6 ton stands. I have some nice 3 ton stands that I use to support the Camaro when I pull the wheels one side at a time, and a 3.5 ton low profile Arcan jack. I do have an abundance of wood beams, 6x, 2x, and plywood so I can put something solid together from that. I assume you guys have had some cinder blocks fail/crush? I appreciate the warning for sure.
Thanks for all the input!

Mike

I am using these.......

https://www.harborfreight.com/dirt-bike-stand-67151.html

I have four but am using two for the front end right now with the rear wheels on the ground. My car was on them for four years....all four corners ....so they work fine. The wide pad and riveted on rubber landing make it soft on the pam corners. Mind you my car is a 412.

When I needed extra height I made a beam of three 2" x 8" boards....bolted together from both sides by 3/16" X 6" "Spax" bolts. Stand this on edge....just like a rafter in a house....and span it from stand to stand.

I also have 6 ton jack stands. But the jack stands....do not go this high. And....no matter what anyone says...with their small upper contact patch they are not stable for something that is going to spend a long time up in the air with lots of people bumping around it and inside and out.....and they put all the pressure one small 1" square spot.

Not sure off the top of my head about type 3....but there is no place on a 411 or 412 to put 6 ton jack stands that will drop into the groove in the top of the 6 ton jack stand. So...really...its a lot of pressure on a small area.

My car weights 2300 lbs with all the guts in it. With no engine or trans it weighs about 1900. With two wheels on the ground and these cycle lifts up front....it would be rare to have more than 500 lbs on each.....and its spread over a far wider contact patch.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Just one way to do it. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike313
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeking input: Putting my 73 Fastback on blocks Reply with quote

Thanks Ray! Appreciate the photo. I agree with spreading the weight as much as feasible. Just makes sense to prevent an accident in case there's a weak spot we don't know about from corrosion or subpar previous repairs.

Mike
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: