Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thermostat stuck open?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:24 pm    Post subject: Thermostat stuck open? Reply with quote

My 02 EVC seems to take forever to warm up (190 on the gauge). Always thought that it was just a characteristic of the van. But now that winter is here and I have been driving the van consistently I am beginning to think that the thermostat is stuck OPEN. Is this common? I guess WAY better than stuck closed.

When I leave the ski area to drive home my engine starts to warm up and get to the 10 o'clock position on the gauge. The ski area is on top of the summit so driving home is downhill for the first several miles (except for the half mile or so leaving the actual resort). The engine temp will actually go down to dead cold while descending.

This can be another reason that I am getting bad gas mileage as the engine is stuck in cold start enrichment. This is also bad for catalytic converts and O2 sensors right.

Assume I should swap out a thermostat with a new factory unit. Based on my reading here this should be accompanied with an aluminum TS housing and a coolant temp sensor. GREAT... Having just fixed the leaking coolant fittings/connections with the brass and stainless ones, I thought I was free of coolant system wooos for a while. This might have to wait.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat stuck open? Reply with quote

More likely your coolant sensor is flaky. Are you getting good cabin heAt?
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat stuck open? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

I am getting cabin heat. Right from the start too. Which was another clue of stuck open TS. I shouldnt get heat until the system is up to temp and the TS opens. Instead right off the bat I am getting slightly warm heat which increases as the gauge shows full operating temp.

Do these cars have 2 different coolant temp sensors? One for the ECU and other for the gauge?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Thermostat stuck open? Reply with quote

MrPulldown wrote:
Abscate wrote:

I am getting cabin heat. Right from the start too. Which was another clue of stuck open TS. I shouldnt get heat until the system is up to temp and the TS opens. Instead right off the bat I am getting slightly warm heat which increases as the gauge shows full operating temp.

Do these cars have 2 different coolant temp sensors? One for the ECU and other for the gauge?

Yes. If the gauge suddenly jumps from cold to warm that isn’t the thermostat, it’s the sensor
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Thermostat stuck open? Reply with quote

MrPulldown wrote:
I shouldnt get heat until the system is up to temp and the TS opens.

That is not the way the cooling system is plumbed; the thermostat does not divert coolant away from the heater cores.

I don't think electrickery works that way
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Thermostat stuck open? Reply with quote

The temp gauge doesn't jump.
TS prevents coolant t from circulating. It shouldn't allow coolant to flow through the heater core unit it is open. What ever coolant is in the heater should be cold right?
The part that is the weirdest is that it will come close to being warm and the get colder as I am going downhill.
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat stuck open? Reply with quote

MrPulldown wrote:

TS prevents coolant t from circulating. It shouldn't allow coolant to flow through the heater core unit it is open. What ever coolant is in the heater should be cold right?

The thermostat prevents coolant from circulating to the radiator. The coolant circuits to and from the heater core(s) bypass the thermostat.

I don't think electrickery works that way
YOGIVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat stuck open? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

I have the same problem as OP on mine 24V
Which coolant sensor needs to be replaced?
Westfalia James Cook 2.9TD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Thermostat stuck open? Reply with quote

YOGIVW wrote:
Abscate wrote:

I have the same problem as OP on mine 24V
Which coolant sensor needs to be replaced?

Circling back to complete this thread. It ended up being a vac hose that was disconnected on this little device. I still don't know exactly what it does, but plugging the vacuum hose back in it allowed the van to warm up quickly.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=752391&highlight=
Whridlsoncestood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Thermostat stuck open? Reply with quote

Where is this located? Is this on the underside of the van? Is that the afterrun pump right behind it? I have a little vac diverter in the coolant lines right next to my afterrun pump but no electrical connections to it like that.
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat stuck open? Reply with quote

Whridlsoncestood wrote:
Where is this located? Is this on the underside of the van? Is that the afterrun pump right behind it? I have a little vac diverter in the coolant lines right next to my afterrun pump but no electrical connections to it like that.

Up top. Driver side on the firewall.
gesoffen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat stuck open? Reply with quote

Anyone have a functional description of this system? I'm having similar issues to the OP - temp at gauge and via scan tool never gets to normal operating temp when moving, heat in cabin is warm (not hot).

In troubleshooting the system, the vacuum valve functions and holds a vacuum. The solenoid seems to function as I can hear it clicking when bench testing with 12V power. It too holds a vacuum.

To further troubleshoot, I need to understand a couple of things:
1) what triggers the noid?
2) what should the vacuum be (psi)?
3) When should the vacuum valve be open or closed (with respect to engine temps)?

Thanks in advance!
Whridlsoncestood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat stuck open? Reply with quote

Mines totally a stuck thermostat. Cold air moving over radiator keeps engine too cool. For the winter until I can get under this and change it I’ve put a piece of cardboard in front of radiotelephone behind the grille. Been keeping a nice steady 190.
TheOneTrueQuux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Thermostat stuck open? Reply with quote

gesoffen wrote:
Anyone have a functional description of this system? I'm having similar issues to the OP - temp at gauge and via scan tool never gets to normal operating temp when moving, heat in cabin is warm (not hot).

In troubleshooting the system, the vacuum valve functions and holds a vacuum. The solenoid seems to function as I can hear it clicking when bench testing with 12V power. It too holds a vacuum.

To further troubleshoot, I need to understand a couple of things:
1) what triggers the noid?
2) what should the vacuum be (psi)?
3) When should the vacuum valve be open or closed (with respect to engine temps)?

Thanks in advance!

The solenoid has nothing to do with this. Those valves have nothing to do with regulating coolant temp, just directing it to the heater core or not.

Since you have confirmed via scan tool that the coolant isn't warming up, you can say for certain that the thermostat simply isn't regulating correctly, so the coolant is never hot enough, hence not enough heat. Replace the thermostat and your problem will be fixed.
gesoffen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Thermostat stuck open? Reply with quote

TheOneTrueQuux wrote:
Replace the thermostat and your problem will be fixed.

Funny you mention that as I just did a cooling system refresh in December 2021 to include new Tstat, tstat housing, water pump, and crack pipe. I replaced a few hoses and sensors that were looking suspect. This was done for two reasons: 1) unknown history of the cooling system (I bought it in spring of '21); and 2) suspected stuck tstat due to it not reaching operating temp prior to the cooling system refresh.

Date code on tstat housing and crack pipe were from '02 so original to the van. Water pump looked pretty vintage too but I couldn't find any date codes on it.

I did not verify the function of the new tstat prior to installation but would think the likelihood of two failed tstats in a row is pretty miniscule. Pulling the tstat and verifying its function in a hot water bath is on my troubleshooting list but is not a prime suspect yet.

OP's symptoms are similar to mine hence me focusing in on the function of the vacuum system's interaction with the cooling system.
spacetiger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Thermostat stuck open? Reply with quote

If you ever replace your thermostat, take the old one and put it in a pot with water and bring the pot to boil. Watch to see how the thermostat operates - you need a thermometer.

It goes without saying, you can do this to the new one before you install it to verify its functionality.
TheOneTrueQuux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Thermostat stuck open? Reply with quote

gesoffen wrote:
TheOneTrueQuux wrote:
Replace the thermostat and your problem will be fixed.

I did not verify the function of the new tstat prior to installation but would think the likelihood of two failed tstats in a row is pretty miniscule. Pulling the tstat and verifying its function in a hot water bath is on my troubleshooting list but is not a prime suspect yet.

OP's symptoms are similar to mine hence me focusing in on the function of the vacuum system's interaction with the cooling system.

Part quality is all over the place these days, even long respected brands are sometimes shipping crap. I've got the same situation right now with my van. New thermostat in the fall, coolant temp takes a long time to come up, and drops when there's lots of airflow but low load (going down a long downhill). It's got to be a thermostat that doesn't close all the way. When the weather warms up here, I'll take a look and verify with boiling water.
gesoffen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Thermostat stuck open? Reply with quote

What's with everyone telling me what I don't want to hear Shocked !

j/k symptoms do point to a thermostat but the vacuum system interaction with the cooling system is something I don't understand so want to investigate that further.

Unfortunately, I tossed the old tstat (so confident in my diagnosis at the time, I was). Considering the ~$20 cost, I may order another just to play with it and do the swap if it passes the hot water test.
wannabecamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Thermostat stuck open? Reply with quote

For short nose vans, I think the OEM temperature was 89 degrees celsius. I ordered 89 degree thermostat before and was sent 82 degrees unit from rock auto. Had the same temperature issue that everyone was talking about. Ordered 87 degree unit from SD Euro and seems to be good. I am not sure why there are so many different temperature thermostat for these vans.
gesoffen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Thermostat stuck open? Reply with quote

I have a new hypothesis on why I'm having issues reaching operating temperature in cold weather.

Background: During my December '21 cooling system refresh, I had also installed a GoWesty trans cooler kit. For those unfamiliar with the kit, it requires physical removal of the stock coolant/atf cooler and thus comes with a barbed splice to join the stock cooler's coolant in/out lines, creating a loop.

Normally I don't like to work on multiple systems at once (harder to trace problems that way) but since both required work inside the cooling system, it made sense to do it in this case. I did want to eliminate the loop altogether by replacing the Tees in the coolant system with appropriate replacement fittings. However, I didn't have them on hand so shelved that part of the project for the future.

Through various threads, here and on VW Vortex, I stumbled upon a good coolant system block diagram: http://www.rialtainfo.com/vw/vw_images/engine_repair_1997-2000%20EV%20Repair%20Manual.pdf.
While this is more focused on the 12V motors (mine's a '03 EVW/24V), this largely captures the various cooling system components sufficiently to aid in troubleshooting, see page 113 of the link.

Following that cooling system block diagram, I see that by eliminating the stock ATF cooler and splicing the coolant lines together essentially creates a path through the radiator that bypasses the thermostat.

My new hypothesis is that this ~1" diameter thermostat bypass loop is providing enough coolant flow through the radiator such that it does not reach operating temp in cold weather.

I will test this hypothesis by clamping off the loop to stop/severely restrict flow through that loop and see its impact on reaching operating temp.

If this hypothesis proves correct, I will look into the correct fittings to eliminate the loop. I vaguely recall another poster (here or elsewhere) that had a good list of fittings to replace NLA parts or eliminate stock plastic pieces. Failing find that, I'll just measure the stock fittings to find suitable replacements.

More to come.....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: