Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Value of a 66 Westy
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Miskeroo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Value of a 66 Westy Reply with quote

Venny, good score on the Westy.

I have a 66 So42 as well and am in Nelson a few times a year.
I had no idea that there was a VW shop in town.... that’s great to know

Cheers
Venny1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Value of a 66 Westy Reply with quote

Miskeroo wrote:
Venny, good score on the Westy.

I have a 66 So42 as well and am in Nelson a few times a year.
I had no idea that there was a VW shop in town.... that’s great to know

Cheers

Thanks Miskeroo!

Finally, someone posting a reply after reading all my posts! Swing by next time you're in Nelson and say hi... Especially if you're driving your bus, I would love to see it!
Ctown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Value of a 66 Westy Reply with quote

Great looking project. Just a couple of things I would take a closer look at. It appears maybe the nose was replaced at some point. I would be a little Leary of all the rubberized undercoating on the front floor. Also take a good look at the Mcode. I have a 66 Westy and I believe it should have the power receptacle above driver side tail light. Not sure what month it moved to the driver side long panel for 67. Either way will be a sweet camper once you get it up and running.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Venny1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Value of a 66 Westy Reply with quote

Ctown wrote:
Great looking project. Just a couple of things I would take a closer look at. It appears maybe the nose was replaced at some point. I would be a little Leary of all the rubberized undercoating on the front floor. Also take a good look at the Mcode. I have a 66 Westy and I believe it should have the power receptacle above driver side tail light. Not sure what month it moved to the driver side long panel for 67. Either way will be a sweet camper once you get it up and running.

Thanks Ctown!

According to the M-Code, the planned production date is May 17, 1966. There is no power receptacle on the driver's side long panel either. It was probably covered over too. I'm guessing the guy who had it painted wanted to make it look like a Barn Door? I ordered a copy of "VW Transporter and Microbus: Specification Guide 1950-1967" by Eccles, David. I hope it's a good guide for helping me figure what is correct for my SO-42
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Value of a 66 Westy Reply with quote

Venny1962 wrote:
Braukuche wrote:
Minus the Westy kit it’s a kombi with a hole in the roof.
It looks like they plastered over battery tray rot. I bet there’s even more fun surprises under that paint. I’d stay clear of it unless the price is right like under $8k US and you know how to do metal work.

Why so negative? The M-Plate says it's a SO-42, C42. The original interior was probably in terrible shape anyways and can be reproduced!

the "furniture" and the wall and ceiling coverings are the easy part. what goes inside, on top, of the 'furniture" is what makes it expensive, unless you do not care about original, as in if you do not care about the "westy" part of this westy.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
66uno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Value of a 66 Westy Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is my 65 Westy. 20 years in. Still not finished. Rebuilt engine. Rebuilt IRS transmission. Front disc brakes. Converted to 12 volts. Safari windows added. All door panels redone. All interior redone. The entire undercarraige has been painted with a two part black epoxy. Runs like a top. Though I am having a slightly bigger and stronger engine built. All the rust has been cut out and replaced. Every bit of it was done on a budget. Have loved every minute of it except grenading the transmission and watching the blood run out. Would do it all over agin. I will NEVER sell.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Value of a 66 Westy Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
Venny1962 wrote:
Braukuche wrote:
Minus the Westy kit it’s a kombi with a hole in the roof.
It looks like they plastered over battery tray rot. I bet there’s even more fun surprises under that paint. I’d stay clear of it unless the price is right like under $8k US and you know how to do metal work.

Why so negative? The M-Plate says it's a SO-42, C42. The original interior was probably in terrible shape anyways and can be reproduced!

the "furniture" and the wall and ceiling coverings are the easy part. what goes inside, on top, of the 'furniture" is what makes it expensive, unless you do not care about original, as in if you do not care about the "westy" part of this westy.

Bus could be a lot worse! I am impressed by people who expect old buses to be like they were in 1980. Odd to re-paint and leave that hinge area like that.
no jalousies, hm. Has standard front door panels.
The interior probably was fine. They were well made, and unless the rain was leaking on it, or it was left out in the weather, they tend to hold up quite well.
But gone now. Any idea where it went? A decent SO-42 interior is not easy to find, or cheap.
Maybe the PO wanted to turn it into a standard?

I see a headbanger cabinet. and the trim above the left back side panel.

m-code plate pic?
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:12 am    Post subject: Re: Value of a 66 Westy Reply with quote

bay-beam
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: