Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sticking Throttle
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DC0046
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:32 pm    Post subject: Sticking Throttle Reply with quote

Newbie here. Have a 77 Vert with a 2074 and dual EMPI HPMX 44s. Had problems with the accelerator pumps leaking on both sides and in spite of my efforts couldn’t get them to stop. Took car to a local VW tech and he planned them down and no leaks. Got car back and now the throttle sticks. I have literally 50 plus hours in working with the linkage, etc, but still problems. Helm joints are fee and lined up. There is no sticking until the car gets up to operating temp (about 250 CHT on number three). Sometimes I can blip the throttle and get the idle back to normal. Sometimes not. I am confident it is not in the throttle cable and I believe the cause is in the passenger side carburetor. Thanks in advance for your help.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Sticking Throttle Reply with quote

What have you got for return springs?
DC0046
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Sticking Throttle Reply with quote

Stock return springs, although I have cut about four coils on the passenger side carb to increase tension.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Sticking Throttle Reply with quote

Most times a pic or 800 help solve a problem here.

I have a very busy engine compartment. But my linkage still moves freely with then stock dual carb springs.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You have a problem that is causing the throttle linkage to stick at a certain position.
Get the engine up to temp and see if you can get a pic of the position that the linkage is sticking open.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Sticking Throttle Reply with quote

Sometimes this can be the throttle butterflies catching on the side of the carburettor throat - try loosening the screws holding them in place on the spindle and then letting the butterflies settle into place as they close, then tightening the screws.

If they are fixed in place slightly too closely together on the same throttle spindle, as the body expands at a different rate to the spindle, the butterfly is more likely to catch.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Sticking Throttle Reply with quote

DC0046 wrote:
Stock return springs, although I have cut about four coils on the passenger side carb to increase tension.

What are stock springs?..... Only springs that come with dual cab system are clockwork springs on carb shafts?

This was my solution to throttle return problems...

And very positive return to closed if you loose throttle linkage...

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...

Last edited by Dale M. on Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:27 am; edited 1 time in total
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Sticking Throttle Reply with quote

well, before you go taking carbs apart and messing with internals, try slightly loosening the throttle shaft nut on the offending carb. You will have to bend the lock tabs back, and then back the nut off a hair. You might have to do this on both ends of the shaft, or try one at a time to find out which side is binding.

I had one carb on a customers engine that did this exact thing, when hot it would stick open slightly causing the engine to race. Slightly loosening the nut fixed this.

hopefully its something simple like that!
DC0046
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Sticking Throttle Reply with quote

Thank you everyone for your replies. I will try loosening the the nut on the clock spring first and go from there. In reference to the return springs, they are very similar to the posted picture. I didnt build this engine and they were on the carbs when I purchased the car about four months ago. I cut about four coils off of the the passenger carb to stiffen the return spring. I will try to get pictures posted in a bit. Thanks again. These things have more moves then a belly dancer and really have me scratching my head.
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Sticking Throttle Reply with quote

additional springs should NOT be used. If you need additional springs other than the factory springs, you have a problem.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Sticking Throttle Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
DC0046 wrote:

What are stock springs?..... Only springs that come with dual cab system are clockwork springs on carb shafts?

This was my solution to throttle return problems...

And very positive return to closed if you look throttle linkage...

That is what I did too. The stock carb springs are not sufficient to give a reasonable peddle pressure on our cars with our 8 feet of cable drag. Your foot gets very tired trying to hold it up after a short while on a long trip. I start to get leg and foot cramps at about the 2 hour mark.

Yes he has something not quite right too but additional springs help with drivability.
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Sticking Throttle Reply with quote

I fail to see how additional springs would increase drivability or decrease fatigue. Its just going to make the pedal feel stiffer, and put undue stress on the cable and all of the links/connections/pivots.

I also ALWAYS install a soft braided cable in every bus of my own, and customers buses. Solid wire cables suck.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Sticking Throttle Reply with quote

Well, if you have tiny feet and wear ballet slippers... it might not be a problem. I am 6' 1" and take #13 boots so find most cars have gas peddles that are too light.
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Sticking Throttle Reply with quote

then you should be adding a heavy spring at the pedal, NOT on the carbs. like I said, all its going to do is wear things out and potentially tweak things. That extra spring on the throttle shaft thats pulling in a linear motion will cause premature wear and tear.

and if we're comparing stature for pedal pressure, Im 6' and do not have ballerina feet. Laughing

Last edited by sled on Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:32 am; edited 1 time in total
DC0046
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Sticking Throttle Reply with quote

Pics of the engine bay. Thanks again for any help.

Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Sticking Throttle Reply with quote

sled wrote:
I fail to see how additional springs would increase drivability or decrease fatigue. Its just going to make the pedal feel stiffer, and put undue stress on the cable and all of the links/connections/pivots.

I also ALWAYS install a soft braided cable in every bus of my own, and customers buses. Solid wire cables suck.

You also have 6 more friction points on linkages for the cross bar linkages the clock springs on carb shafts were never designed to over come.....

Yes on soft braded cable and I always put second barrel connector on cable in case first one slips, it gives me a limp to safe place mode until proper fix can be done....

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...

Last edited by Dale M. on Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Sticking Throttle Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:

You also have 6 more friction points on linkages for the cross bar linkages the clock springs on carb shafts were never designed to over come.....

this is very true, but if the joints are maintained and lubricated appropriately, then there should be little to no friction.

but, that (among other things) is also why I do not use crossbar linkages.
DC0046
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Sticking Throttle Reply with quote

Pics of the car.

fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Sticking Throttle Reply with quote

Nice looking ride you have there, bet it's fun to drive with the top down Smile
DC0046
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Sticking Throttle Reply with quote

Thank you. Hopefully I can get these carb issues worked out.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Sticking Throttle Reply with quote

The whole car is junk! I am coming to do you a favor and take it off your hands before it costs you anymore money. What is your address?

By the way, I see what your spring problem is. Hang on and I will draw you a picture.

Last edited by oprn on Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: