Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

how to treat a paint crack?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
runninonpizza
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:33 pm    Post subject: how to treat a paint crack? Reply with quote

Not really sure whats happening here, but looks like paint has cracked? It's not quite bubbling but there's a line that has cracked in the paint.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I recently purchased this vanagon and the PO didn't seem to want to do any basic waxing / polishing (but the mechanics are quite good).

My plan is to wait about 6 months or so ($$ recoup) and get it professionally repainted / bodywork and give it the refresh it deserves.

Until then, how should I treat this area? I plan on doing a big clean / compound / polish / wax and see what buffs out, but I doubt this is something that will buff out...
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: how to treat a paint crack? Reply with quote

Hard to tell what part of the car it is. Appears to be a Flash Silver with the failure just under the sliding window. If this is the case, the rubber has lost its seal and water has been trapped underneath and is causing rust with it bubbling off the paint. Note the rust just under the rubber.

Pull the window, clean off all the rust to bare metal. Prime and repaint with a rattle can masking off so there isn't too much over spray. Then spray some paint on a brush and "dry brush" the area where the tape line is to feather it out and appear less conspicuous. This will look fine from 3' away.

The main thing is to do it now before the rust progresses to the point of needing welding. If and when you get the car painted the body shop will be able to deal with your temporary paint job, but you will have saved a ton of money if they don't have to rebuild the metal in the area.
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:58 am    Post subject: Re: how to treat a paint crack? Reply with quote

Welcome to the Samba!

Lotsa info to be found on this site. 8 pages of dealing with rust, temporarily and permanently here - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc...=titleonly

I would get a dental pick/screwdriver and peel off the paint that’s lifting to get some Ospho or similar rust treatment on the metal underneath. Then rattle can paint it to seal it up till your in restoration mode. Not pretty, but stops the rust till you afford the time/money for the bodywork. And as DuncanS mentioned - make less work/$$ a year or two from now.

Enjoy your van!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: how to treat a paint crack? Reply with quote

Yeah...... that area right at the window seal and a bit below the windows is an area that frequently rusts.

Is there evidence of repairs and a repaint on your Van?

Sometimes owners will make rust repairs with fiberglass and bondo instead of cutting out the rust and welding in new metal.

Good attitude, touch it up, live with it for now.

Keep in mind as you do embark upon a proper repaint, you may find more of this hidden rust.
Budget accordingly.

Welcome to the site!
Any more photos of your new Van that you care to share?
It looks like a Savannah Beige Metallic?

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: how to treat a paint crack? Reply with quote

I may wager a guess that this van has already been repainted once (at least in this area).
perhaps a prior rust abatement that is losing it's grip. and the respray has shrunk and cracked.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: how to treat a paint crack? Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
I may wager a guess that this van has already been repainted once (at least in this area).
perhaps a prior rust abatement that is losing it's grip. and the respray has shrunk and cracked.

I agree. The solution is to strip the van down to only the chassis, acid dip the chassis, and then paint it. Then reassemble the entire van.

Laughing
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: how to treat a paint crack? Reply with quote

Do you acid dip with the engine and tranny still in?
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: how to treat a paint crack? Reply with quote

I think Dan is right, if it's not going to be driven regularly I guess I'd park it in a garage and start exploring for rust with a sharp metal object and some sandpaper folded over a door shim right into these cracks.
This dosn't look like a big problem here, but I'd get a jack out and pull the wheels and explore the wheel wells at the suspension mount areas. I'd want to see all the difficult to rebuild areas critical to the van first. Pull the water drain plugs along the bottom of the rocker skins. Scrub off the dry mud in those wheel wells.
Hopefully you get away with some rusting panel seams in easy to clean out areas and find no holes.
Holes and deep rust pitting will need cut and weld repair, small rust in panel seams can be flooded with a rust converter like Rust Mort by SEM and then seam sealed again.
It seems more daunting untill you dig into it and once you see what your dealing with it's just metal carpentry to fix it. It's down time and not why you bought it but it's part of owning a 30+ year old vehicle.
runninonpizza
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: how to treat a paint crack? Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:

Yep, I think you're right. It's on the sliding door, so i'm not _too_ concerned. I was mostly trying to figure out if there's a smart way to prevent it from continuing while I wait for bonus season... ha.
runninonpizza
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: how to treat a paint crack? Reply with quote

Crankey wrote:
I think Dan is right, if it's not going to be driven regularly I guess I'd park it in a garage and start exploring for rust with a sharp metal object and some sandpaper folded over a door shim right into these cracks.
This dosn't look like a big problem here, but I'd get a jack out and pull the wheels and explore the wheel wells at the suspension mount areas. I'd want to see all the difficult to rebuild areas critical to the van first. Pull the water drain plugs along the bottom of the rocker skins. Scrub off the dry mud in those wheel wells.
Hopefully you get away with some rusting panel seams in easy to clean out areas and find no holes.
Holes and deep rust pitting will need cut and weld repair, small rust in panel seams can be flooded with a rust converter like Rust Mort by SEM and then seam sealed again.
It seems more daunting untill you dig into it and once you see what your dealing with it's just metal carpentry to fix it. It's down time and not why you bought it but it's part of owning a 30+ year old vehicle.

Hm yeah, my garage is unfortunately too small to fit "wanda". I'm going to be driving it pretty much every weekend on an excursion... The weather is starting to turn *already* up in Seattle, so I might have to find a buddy's garage to do some quick treatment... I'm sort of afraid of picking this piece off though. Is that the right move?
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: how to treat a paint crack? Reply with quote

You can get the rust mort to wick down into cracks. It's thin as water.
So you might do that and hit these spots with primer for the time being...
Yep I'm in Seattle-ish too.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: how to treat a paint crack? Reply with quote

any oil product will seal the surface from water and air that promotes the oxidation. and will slow the process, possibly quite some long time depending on product, reapplication and environmental exposure.

even a paste wax would go a long way to sealing it and slowing it down.. for yearrrs

though those products (oils & waxes) need to be noted and addressed and that point in time you go to deal with it. else paint performance will be poor.

in essence in the north east this is a non-issue item and we wouldn't have given it any or much thought.

me, I'd put a spritz of Fluid Film (C) on a paper towel and give it a light rub.
touch up as weather and time requires.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: