Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mahle Cylinder defect?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kc9gig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:39 am    Post subject: Mahle Cylinder defect? Reply with quote

Hey guys, so I'm having an issue. Bout 7 years ago, I bought a set of 94mm Mahle pistons and cylinders for a project that ended up getting delayed indefinitely which left them brand new sitting in a box, in a shelf, the whole time. Fast forward to couple months ago and finally have time to start putting together my engine only to discover a casting defect in one of the cylinders. I thoughr Mahle were suppose to be the best? How could this have made it out of the factory? All of my emails to ScatVW and to Mahle have been ingored. Has anyone else had this problem and what was the solution?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Mahle Cylinder defect? Reply with quote

Custom vent to release excessive pressure build up in the cylinder.

That one slipped by Quality Control! Shocked
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Mahle Cylinder defect? Reply with quote

put a dab of JB weld in there and run it, it'll be fine.

Im kidding, that cylinder is junk Crying or Very sad

"mahle is best" may have been the case in the past, but lots of folks on here have been having issues with their products for some time.
Chip Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Mahle Cylinder defect? Reply with quote

I've had Mahles that had the same little logo spot as AA cylinders, just with the AA ground off. As far as I've seen, mahle is just a reboxed, rebranded AA. Maybe a different piston, but I doubt it.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Mahle Cylinder defect? Reply with quote

The original German-factory Mahle production and quality control personnel would be rolling in their graves to see that chunk which made it out the door.

If all else fails, you could buy a single 94 mm cylinder which also comes with a piston- http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Single-Piston-Cylinder-Set-94mm-x-69mm-p/vw9400t1-single.htm Use your Mahle piston instead. The 94 mm cylinders themselves are the same overall length between the A (shorter stroke engines) and B (longer strokes) types. What varies between those sets are the pistons with the pin height and overall skirt height. Before you submit your order, measure the overall length of your Mahle cylinder, provide that measurement to aircooled.net and request they confirm that their AA brand cylinder has the same dimension. The total overall length is not the most important dimension, but rather the bottom of the cylinder base where the cylinder sits on the engine case, up to the top of the cylinder where it contacts the head.

I realize you don't want to throw your good money against a product problem that was clearly not your fault.

If you have not bought from aircooled.net before, strongly consider buying other parts for this engine from them.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Mahle Cylinder defect? Reply with quote

I think if it was me I'd just order a new set of liners:

https://aapistons.com/collections/liner-sets/products/vw-94mm-type-1-cylinder-kit

Or

https://aapistons.com/collections/liner-sets/products/94mm-racing-long-thick-wall-cylinder-set

Depending on your application.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: