Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dead - no turn over
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Politted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:02 pm    Post subject: Dead - no turn over Reply with quote

1978 Westy bus. Started reliably, then left sink pump on for a week. Jumped it. Drove 15 minutes, shut off, tried restarting, dead. Had to jump again. Drove 10 minutes, shut off 15 minutes, tried starting, dead. Jumped it. drove 10 minutes, shut it off, tried starting, dead. Jumped and drove home. Put on charger for 24 hours. Started ok 8 to 10 times. Then dead 4 out of 6 times. Last couple times, when dead, could point downhill and pop start. I’ve had it back on charger for a few hours, then started right up. Battery only 2 months old. I guess it’s not charging while running??? Only been going on short trips. Wife fretting about not being able to find a hill to park on!! Thoughts?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Dead - no turn over Reply with quote

Take battery to your FLAPS to have it tested.
d___dles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Dead - no turn over Reply with quote

I may be wrong on this but I had 78 which was fuel injected and read that you shouldn't jump fuel injected VW engines?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Dead - no turn over Reply with quote

d___dles wrote:
I may be wrong on this but I had 78 which was fuel injected and read that you shouldn't jump fuel injected VW engines?

Jumping VWs with alternator is a big no no.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Dead - no turn over Reply with quote

get a new battery. You sulfated it
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Dead - no turn over Reply with quote

Even though it’s your fault, you might be able to get a prorated battery where you originally bought it. Sometimes batteries fail early.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Dead - no turn over Reply with quote

I think it likely that you hooked the jumper cables up backwards and fried the diodes in your alternator. No alternator = no charge = no crank at every start.

Get your meter out and do some testing. Make sure you buy a roll of red tape and mark the positive cable with it and use black tape on the negative cable if it is anything besides black or bare wire.
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:48 am    Post subject: Re: Dead - no turn over Reply with quote

Letting a battery go flat for a week is enough to cause it to sulphate up.

Does not really matter how old it was, you put years of damage on it by leaving it flat.

Even if the alternator charges it, it will show good voltage but have no capacity to start the bus.

When its like that, if the alternator is working it maintains the voltage for the ignition .

Consider using a separate service battery.so your starter always has some power.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: Dead - no turn over Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
d___dles wrote:

Jumped hundreds of cars with alternators (including VWs) using cars with alternators (including VWs). For these old jalopies if you use normal care it should not be a problem.
Politted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Dead - no turn over Reply with quote

I’ve completely discharged my share of batteries that went back to normal operation after one full charge or jump… so I was leaning toward bad alternator or starter… I guess a new battery is definitely the easiest fix to try first.
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Dead - no turn over Reply with quote

Politted wrote:
I’ve completely discharged my share of batteries that went back to normal operation after one full charge or jump… so I was leaning toward bad alternator or starter… I guess a new battery is definitely the easiest fix to try first.

easiest is to have them test it before you buy.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Dead - no turn over Reply with quote

Politted wrote:
rule of thumb - 4 years on a battery before it starts going bad. With a maintenance charger you can extend that. So when a 4 year old battery goes flat it usually kills it. Also when batteries die, it always seems like, "it was fin this morning but it just died. Nothing. I usually turn the overhead light on in a bus, and then turn the key when the starter acts up. If it is a bad connection at the battery, or the battery, the light will essentially go out when the key is turned to start.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Dead - no turn over Reply with quote

Politted wrote:

The best thing to do first is put a meter on your charging system and verify whether the alternator is doing anything or not. A new battery will not give you very many starts if the alternator isn't working.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Dead - no turn over Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:
d___dles wrote:

Jumped hundreds of cars with alternators (including VWs) using cars with alternators (including VWs). For these old jalopies if you use normal care it should not be a problem.

I agree, but most FI owners manuals advise against it. I think VW was just covering their butts from hooking up the cables backwards. Wasn't D-Jet especially sensitive to polarity?

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Dead - no turn over Reply with quote

the ECU, and the diodes in the alternator, pretty much poof when jumper cables are hooked up backwards. It doesn't help that lots of people install aftermarket ground cables that are red, and the original 12V+ is usually black. Almost have to hang warning signs on the battery as to which is positive and which is negative.

example:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

https://rcswag.com/product/battery-polarity-sticker-decals-positive-negative/

or

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

https://www.stickersmakeyoufaster.com/Polarity_Indicator_p/polarity-indicators.htm
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Dead - no turn over Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:
d___dles wrote:

I agree, but most FI owners manuals advise against it. I think VW was just covering their butts from hooking up the cables backwards. Wasn't D-Jet especially sensitive to polarity?

Robbie

I think it may have been an old mechanic's tale from the 60s when alternators were first coming onto the scene. Kind of like you can't switch to detergent oil from non-detergent, or your valve will die a quick death if you don't run leaded gasoline.

You of course don't want to hook the cables up backwards though.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Dead - no turn over Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
airschooled wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:
d___dles wrote:

Robbie

I think it may have been an old mechanic's tale from the 60s when alternators were first coming onto the scene. Kind of like you can't switch to detergent oil from non-detergent, or your valve will die a quick death if you don't run leaded gasoline.

Aside from the obvious polarity issue the only reason I can imagine is an alternator will try to charge a dead battery at maximum rate as soon as it starts, if the battery is old and weak it could allow some big voltage spikes to damage other parts of the system. Charging at that rate will also overheat the battery and warp the plates in the cells sometimes. Most alternator regulators only regulate voltage, but not current as well like a generator, and some don't even do a great job on the volts.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Dead - no turn over Reply with quote

from what I understand, the battery has resistance to ground when charging. That is calculated into the equation. If the jumpers are reversed then it is a dead short to ground and the battery resistance does not factor in. There are plenty of threads here where the exciter diodes in an alternator popped, and some instantly dead ECU.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Dead - no turn over Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
airschooled wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:
d___dles wrote:

Robbie

Aside from the obvious polarity issue the only reason I can imagine is an alternator will try to charge a dead battery at maximum rate as soon as it starts, if the battery is old and weak it could allow some big voltage spikes to damage other parts of the system. Charging at that rate will also overheat the battery and warp the plates in the cells sometimes. Most alternator regulators only regulate voltage, but not current as well like a generator, and some don't even do a great job on the volts.

But how would that be different from the vehicle's own alternator taking over the charging duties once the engine has started?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Dead - no turn over Reply with quote

When the car battery is dead, and a battery is jumped backwards, the electrical system has 12V essentially backwards on it. The dead battery will pull some of the jumpers capacity but the rest will go into the car. There is no war of the batteries in this situation where the current goes round and round in series melting things. If a diode stands between the battery and ground say designed to carry 1/3 the load of the alternator when charging, it might be rated to let's say 400V 75 amps (that is what the NTE 5934 and NTE 5935 that go in a 55 amp alternator are rated to).

Each carries 1/3 so they are rated well above the alternator capacity. Now we hook 12V up to them backwards so the rectifier bridge is reversed, and the current passes thru it in the direction it was designed to flow, but the battery is putting out 400 - 600 amps. The current flowing thru them, which the door is open to it in that direction - the diodes melt internally and open as the junctions overheat internally. Think of it like a door that is designed to withstand 100 PSI from one direction, and allow a gentle flow when 101 or more PSI is put on it from the other side. If the system can only generate 120 PSI max then 20 PSI is the heaviest pressure that will push flow thru the door. But if we remove the 100 PSI pressure on the side that is normally there, and run 120 PSI on the side it is designed to flow then it can be damaged by the massive and sudden flow. That is the best analogy I can think of. When the jumpers are reversed to a dead battery, the alternator diodes are handling all the jumper capacity instead of the max the alternator can put out, which is what they were designed for.

Likewise, I would guess that if one hooked jumpers up backwards to a good fully charged battery there would be one hell of of a spark and something would melt as the batteries were essentially shorted by the jumper cables while they were hooked in series. The same as if two batteries were set in a row, each 12V and the + hooked to the - of the next one. That would create 24V at the current potential of either battery, but not both. Then when the second jumper was attached that would be just like dropping a wrench or wire across them and shorting them at 24V. Totally different scenario than jumping a dead battery.

There is always the risk of battery explosions too when someone does not know the proper procedures for battery jumping. The jumper ground to frame should be last where everyone is out of harms way.
I could be wrong but maybe Telford can chime in and explain it better.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: