Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

First breakdown
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
iMacMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:36 am    Post subject: First breakdown Reply with quote

Hey guys, I'm looking for a push in the right direction here as my go to VW guy is not around for a while and I need to get my Splitty back on the road.

We broke down last week, after almost a year of trouble free driving.

A few weeks back I started getting a back-fire and it was running a little rough, but a quick spray of WD40 in the carb solved the problem and all was good. The same thing happened a week ago and again a splash of WD40 seemed to fix the issue but I realized something needed looking at. Then the inevitable happened and we broke down and had to be towed home.

The following day I did manage to start it but it was really rough and backfiring. Yesterday I tried again but it won't idle without me keeping my foot on the accelerator.

Today I can't get it to start at all.

I've read "how to keep your Volkswagen alive" from cover to cover and tried tinkering but due to lack of time and knowledge I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction to get me going again.

1964 12V double cab

Thanks
iMacMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: First breakdown Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: First breakdown Reply with quote

Check all the basic stuff first. Cap, rotor, points. Make sure the screw securing the condenser is tight. Fuel pressure? What color is the exhaust pipe? Check for a faulty ignition switch with a test light.

Just a few thoughts, good luck, nice truck!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: First breakdown Reply with quote

Do a proper 3,000 mile tune up without replacing parts and see if that helps. If not, it is probably the carb.

You need to start learning how to diagnose and fix your VW, or marry your VW go to guy. Otherwise you will always be on the towing leash on any trip you do. While it can be a steep learning curve, it will be rewarding if you want to be more in charge of your future VW adventures.

Do post images of the engine. That way all of us VW nutters can all point out problems that will need fixing.
d___dles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: First breakdown Reply with quote

I know the issue could be so many things but what you describe sounds similar to what my bus was going through not long ago and it ended up being the points.
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: First breakdown Reply with quote

Where are you? I am in Ontario and maybe can help.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: First breakdown Reply with quote

d___dles wrote:
I know the issue could be so many things but what you describe sounds similar to what my bus was going through not long ago and it ended up being the points.

The first thing I thought of was points closing.

I never heard of spraying WD-40 down the carb.

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iMacMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: First breakdown Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I will try and get a couple of hours tomorrow to start going through your suggestions. It’s about time I got clued up on whats going on back there!

I’m in the Niagara region, Canada, although I’m from the UK. I will report back my progress . . .
Busted-bolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: First breakdown Reply with quote

if WD 40 fixes the problem for a bit maybe the valves need to be adjusted . The extra "Wetness " makes the valves seal up for a short time then its back to the same old back firing again.Because the WD 40 drys out. Its just my 2 cents. Wink
iMacMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: First breakdown Reply with quote

Just updating this post.

I went ahead and followed the suggestions here, did a 3000 mile service, checking and replacing parts as needed. It made no difference so I managed to get it booked into 'Johns Bug Shop' here in the Niagara region.

Turns out it was a faulty solenoid, a very cheap and quick repair. I could have been trying for ages and would never have found it.

Anyway, it's running better than ever and I'm so glad to be back on the road!
iMacMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: First breakdown Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: First breakdown Reply with quote

Good that was easy, and if needed be we all would have got to that sooner than later. Tune up always takes a lot of other possible problems out of the equation. Do post images of the engine, and you might want to convert this thread by changing the title to cover your bus. That way you can cover the history of the bus and your future adventures.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: First breakdown Reply with quote

iMacMan wrote:
.... a quick spray of WD40 in the carb....

WD40 is absolutely terrible. It goes on wet, and dries down sticky. It is not a lubricant or a solvent. It will not make any of the moving parts of your VW better, and will make most worse in short order.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: