Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

63 vert rear ashtray install
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hale6968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:11 am    Post subject: 63 vert rear ashtray install Reply with quote

I want to install the OE ashtray on the rear passenger side interior panel of my 63 Vert. Can anyone tell me where to cut the panel?; pictures and dimensions will help. Not sure if they ever had an ashtray on the rear driver's side.

Thanks Jeff
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 vert rear ashtray install Reply with quote

I'd pretty much just eyeball it based on pics from the gallery.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Rear After

"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hale6968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 vert rear ashtray install Reply with quote

Thanks for taking the time to send the great pics!
67conv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: 63 vert rear ashtray install Reply with quote

If you're installing a new set of aftermarket panels in your 63 VERT, there's usually a traced out score line on the backside of the panel for you to cut your own ashtray hole. An original panel will have the hole already cut. If you want to maintain an "original" look, the passenger side was the only one that got the ashtray.

BTW, all the photos above are for sedans, and not for the convertibles. They are completely different in shape and dimension! The picture below is for a 67 convertible, but aside from the upholstery material, is the same as the 63 vert. Also note the difference between the sedan ashtray and the convertible's both in design AND placement. If you follow the above sedan pictures, you'll cut right into where the window winder hole should be!

Previously owned: 72 "Baja Champion SE" Spec. Edition Super Beetle bought NEW; 79 Convertible bought NEW; 67 type 1 savanna beige; 67 2.0 911S; 73 2.4 911T; 63 356 T6 B Cabriolet; 64 356 SC sunroof coupe; 72 Type-3 Squareback; 68 + 69 Type-3 Fastbacks; 87 Vanagon GL Wasserboxer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hale6968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 vert rear ashtray install Reply with quote

67convert is correct. I have been researching this for my 63 vert. Also the ashtray is different on the vert from the sedan. The vert ashtray has a mother of pearl pull on it. The sedan does not. When I do mine I plan to carefully measure and graph out on the panel measuring from the window crank hole - from these great pics he posted.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: