Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Always an adventure working on these cars
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:49 pm    Post subject: Always an adventure working on these cars Reply with quote

My '78 Super had a horrible shimmy letting the clutch out, so it was time for an engine removal. Not my 1st rodeo, but things always just happen. Hope you enjoy the story.

I actually took my time and had a plan once I got the engine removed.
My goal was:
Fix the shudder
Replace all the broken wiring plugs in the engine compartment
Heat, I thought this would be a nice feature this fall.

Engine removed, found the issue with the clutch. Oil all over, bad transmission seal. Replaced the seal, new clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing.

Ordered a set of replacement wiring plugs, now everything clicks and locks into place like it should.

Heat: The body to Heat exchangers tube was ripped. now one installed.
Heater boxers had worn thru on small spots behind the rear ties. Bought some of that 2 stage epoxy you mix in your hand and worked it in good. We will see how that holds up.

The good news. I used a come a long to lift the engine and it never went in easier. It was just like butter, just grabbed the horns and worked it in nicely.

Rear brakes adjusted, distributor cleaned and new points installed, valves set, plugs are good.

Everything golden, not

1st attempt to start, oh yeah, I changed the oil. Car was still on stands.
Ran for maybe a minute, horrible screeching noise, thought it didn't pick up oil and the bearings were toast.. Shut everything down in a panic.
Put it on the ground, check the oil level, fill it. Started and all good.

Turns out the wire I have ran for the license was floating behind the engine and got pulled into the intake for the fan. It was toast.
Don't do that.

2nd attempt, started, ran great, set the timing, running, took it down the street, some cute gal yelled out about wanting a ride as it went into 2 cylinder mode. I didn't have the wiring all the way lugged in for the injectors and they both came off at the same time.

3rd attempt: Running great, ran it down the street all good. Went to take it to dinner,about a mile, got to the bar, it went to hell. I didn't stop, I knew we had a problem and I wanted it back home. It was one holy hot mess when I got it back.

I thought the replacement lines I ran on the injectors were pinched, because it felt like 2 cylinders and I didn't like how those lines pinched.

Worked on them, still ran horrible.I was sitting back like what the heck.

Then I looked and saw the line that goes from the oil fill to the re circulation system and it was just wide open. It came off the oil fill, thus a huge vacuum leak. The hose is oil soaked and will not stay in place.

Ordered another Gates hose lick I posted in the FI sticky. I really don't like the set up for the FI cars and that tube. It is in a horrible spot and had to fit around things it shouldn't.

Tomorrow I adjust the front brakes. And wait till Tuesday for my replacement hose to get here.

Just another week or 2 in the life of Beetle ownership. It ran so good before that oil line came off, I can't wait till it's all back together.

Happy Bugging
Kevin

Click to view image
drs1023
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Always an adventure working on these cars Reply with quote

Your bug is just showing who's really the BOSS!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric71sup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Always an adventure working on these cars Reply with quote

It makes me feel better that I'm not the only person to feed my license plate wire to the fan.
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Always an adventure working on these cars Reply with quote

You sure the shudder isn’t your Bowden tube for the clutch cable? May not have enough bend.

But ya these things are always an adventure, as much as I like driving mine and have had many vw “adventures”. These days I can do with a little less adventure. My wife certainly isn’t interested in any more vw adventures.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Always an adventure working on these cars Reply with quote

Sounds like you got it AND learned a whole lot more!

Good on you to work through it all and get er done! Plus, I did not even get a text or anything. Kind of feeling left out of the party!

Glad to read you are playing with the Bug. If you ever get back out this way, beers are on me!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Always an adventure working on these cars Reply with quote

Jimbo, it's like the student has grown up, lol. But I needed your advice getting things going.
Did some MacGyvering today. I couldn't wait till Tuesday for the replacement hose to arrive, so I went to O'Reillys and bought a foot of hose that fit the oil fill outlet. Then I went to Menard's and bought a plastic 90* elbow. Cut everything to fit, cut my existing line to the S Tube back to it's straight part, connected everything and I had a sealed system again.This is better than buying a new hose every time, because it only get oil soaked right at the oil fill tube. That hose is maybe 2" long and replaceable now. So the 1' of hose should last me many years as the original lasted about 5 years. I still have most of it left. I need to mark it with some tape so 5 years from now I'll know what to use. I might not remember, lol

Front brakes got adjusted. Passenger side needed taken apart as the adjusters were locked in place. I found the spring removal tool and they came apart, a quick clean up and loosening up in the vice, and we were back in Business. All 4 brakes are adjusted now. The brake pedal is solid and stops straight.

Got a surprise driving it today. It has always fought me with a high idle. Pulling up to stoplights, I thought the car died, but it was idling at probably 650 RPM. Engine is smooth as butter and I came home and adjusted it up to about 850 and called it a day.

This car has ran great, and now it's the best it's ever been. Smooth, steering good, brakes are perfect, idle is spot on. The fuel injection is a true pleasure.

Yea, I am feeling accomplished on a Sunday night. I had a goal of being done before the 28th to drive it to the Hippie Fest and now that can happen. I have not had the car out in public here, so I wanted to show it off a little.

Hope your weekend was great and you got to enjoy your bug too!
Kevin

Click to view image
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Always an adventure working on these cars Reply with quote

Dirtkeeper, it was not the bowden tube or anything to do with the cable.
The transmission seal was leaking and the inside was oil coated.
Jimbo saw the pics and told me the whole clutch assembly was oil soaked and the clutch would not be right. So new seal, clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing and we are all good now. I did a grind on the flywheel face to address hot spots and give it some texture to wear into the new clutch.
All smooth engagement now.

Click to view image
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Always an adventure working on these cars Reply with quote

KKiley wrote:
Jimbo, it's like the student has grown up, lol.

Hope your weekend was great and you got to enjoy your bug too!
Kevin

Good to read success has smiled upon you young grasshopper.

Anytime brother! You know how to get a hold of me!

I spent the weekend on the couch, not moving. Back is better but still very weak. Hopefully things will heal up enough to get back to having fun on the Bug! Good part is I passed my Building Inspector test and am almost ready to take my Plumbing Inspector test! Get that done and I will move onto the electrical test followed by the HVAC test!

,Never stop learning!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Always an adventure working on these cars Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:

Indeed!, the old "teach a man to fish" saying comes to mind, good work Kevin! Cool

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Always an adventure working on these cars Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
VW_Jimbo wrote:

Indeed!, the old "teach a man to fish" saying comes to mind, good work Kevin! Cool

Thanks Busdaddy. You are an important part of my education also.
Always willing to share your knowledge.
Kevin

Click to view image
stevebaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Always an adventure working on these cars Reply with quote

but what about the cute girl? You let one get away? inquiring minds want to know.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Always an adventure working on these cars Reply with quote

stevebaz wrote:
but what about the cute girl? You let one get away? inquiring minds want to know.

Pictures, or it didn't happen !!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Always an adventure working on these cars Reply with quote

Not sure about the female situation. Have had many nice ones in it.

And now the alternator light is on.

The saga continues, haha

Click to view image
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Always an adventure working on these cars Reply with quote

Whew, nevermind. I put my reading glasses on and it's the oil light. I have the Save my Bug dipstick on it and I had been idling it waiting at drive thru's in 90* weather.
It's off now. All good.
Kevin

Click to view image
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: