Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Best way to fill holes drilled in body.
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hale6968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:56 pm    Post subject: Best way to fill holes drilled in body. Reply with quote

The PO removed the old OG mirror off the hinge and drilled two holes inn the upper front doors, to add "sport mirrors." I want to revert to OG look and get rid of the holes and new mirrors. I think I read it is hard to weld and add metal because of burn through making the holes larger. I wondered if epoxy and filler would work well? Thanks Jeff
Mister.64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to fill holes drilled in body. Reply with quote

Filling the holes is not that hard. and can be done without warping the metal if they are relatively small. what size holes are you trying to fill? can be done with TIG or MIG but you'l want to try and avoid MIG flux if possible. can you post a pic or two ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to fill holes drilled in body. Reply with quote

I was watching TV and saw a guy make a boat out of Flex Seal. A smaller job as you describe would be easy.
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to fill holes drilled in body. Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
I was watching TV and saw a guy make a boat out of Flex Seal. A smaller job as you describe would be easy.

Yes. If they had it back in the early 20th Century, they could have stopped the Titanic sinking. Very Happy

Seriously though. If you can weld, then filling the hole isn't a problem there. There won't be much distortion as the metal is quite convoluted and not flat. Start at the edge of the hole and make a tack. Then go to the other side of the hole and do another tack. Then at 3 o'clock, 9 o'clock. Once the hole gets enough tacks you should be able to bridge across the hole. Once the hole is bridged, put the amps up and give it a good hit in the middle and in a circular fashion go around and around until the metal gets molten. This should improve the look and penetration of the weld and reduce possible pin-holes. Grind back and you are done.

If you have access (which you probably won't where I think you are talking about) then you could use a copper backer to help with the welding to stay put.

If you are not worried about longevity, then yes, use a filler, especially one of those ones with the fibreglass in them for extra strength
frenchroast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to fill holes drilled in body. Reply with quote

Depending on the size of the holes, you can braze them with a minimum of grinding. If you don't have access to a gas welder, you can braze with a MAP gas torch and brass rod. Practice first on some 18g sheet metal if you use a MAP torch because it's not as easy as a gas (oxy/acetylene) torch. Anything more than a small hole you'll want to weld with steel filler rod.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KPottorff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to fill holes drilled in body. Reply with quote

I filled the holes used for the trim on a '65 body using some coat hangers (!) and a gas welder some 30 years ago and then filled in the dents/dimples with plastic. I probably got lucky, since there has been no problem with the work - no rust or flaking of the surface.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: